Two-mile Turtle in 2015?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbender

So thanks to Google Maps leading us onto a highway instead of a frontage road with ~1 mile remaining, we were forced to drive around 5 more miles (to the next exit and back around). I was amazed that we made it about 3 miles before we hit Turtle (especially since some of that was at low freeway speeds), but hit it we did, with about 2 miles to get back to the quick charger we just missed the first time.

I was all prepared to call Roadside Assistance, but somehow we made the last two miles and 'miraculously' drove into the dealership and an open space waiting for us in front of the quick charger.

Question: has something changed (in later MYs)? I thought Turtle was only supposed to last about a half mile or so. Also, I believe our max speed was limited to 35 mph, not the 25 which is listed in the (TW's) range chart. Sorry if this is covered in the manual. Also, I was not driving at the time so the numbers above are not exact, but very close (I was a passenger/navigator).

I drove 2,3miles (3,7km) in a Leaf 2012 after turtle. The car was about 1 year old.
Drove very very gently at low speed 10-25mph until it stopped.

cwerdna said:
I thought turtle was triggered by the the lowest cell pair hitting a critical voltage. I don't know what the value is.
It will stop when the lowest cell-pair reaches 3.0 volts. To maximize your range after turtle, or any time you are driving, SLOW DOWN. If you can creap along with almost close to zero draw you can go a much greater distance as it is the power draw that drops your voltage.

If you keep it "pedal to the metal" after turtle you will get VERY, VERY little mileage until it shuts down.

May be normal for a new battery.

But my 2011 hits Turtle at 0.0% LEAF Spy Pro SOC and 0.4 kWh remaining.
High voltage disconnect dead in the water is at 0.3 kWh remaining.
Even at the lowest energy use at steady 11 mph on level ground you would be lucky to go one mile.
But I have lost three capacity bars SOH 72% Hx around 65% no P3227 software change.

Graffi said:
cwerdna said:
I thought turtle was triggered by the the lowest cell pair hitting a critical voltage. I don't know what the value is.
It will stop when the lowest cell-pair reaches 3.0 volts. To maximize your range after turtle, or any time you are driving, SLOW DOWN. If you can creap along with almost close to zero draw you can go a much greater distance as it is the power draw that drops your voltage.

If you keep it "pedal to the metal" after turtle you will get VERY, VERY little mileage until it shuts down.

You are right about driving slow is the key.
But the 3.0 volt statement is incorrect.
Both 2012 and 2014 Leaf is driveable well below 3.0 average voltage.
Last time i hit turtle leafspy showed 2.588,2.715,2.826(238mV)

Back