Turning off timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After thinking about what was different from when my timers where stuck to when they were not,
it occurred to me that I had updated my navigation maps, it is possible that the software was also
updated, which may have fixed the problem.

I prefer my battery to charge during the coolest part of the night, but also occasionally need to charge during the day. I have my timer set to start at 2am and end at 7pm. This delays the start of charging until 2am. It will also start charging if plugged in during the day, without hitting the override or using the app or website.

baustin said:
I prefer my battery to charge during the coolest part of the night, but also occasionally need to charge during the day. I have my timer set to start at 2am and end at 7pm. This delays the start of charging until 2am. It will also start charging if plugged in during the day, without hitting the override or using the app or website.
I like that idea :) gives me an easy option to charge to 80% on my '12 that lacks the 80% always option. If I ever wanted to charge to 100% just simply push the timer override button.

baustin said:
interesting. my main issue was that the charge timers seemed to be EVENT driven rather than STATE driven.

that is, i expected them to behave as you've described: if set to charge from 2am to 7pm then plugging in the car at any time during that interval i thought it should start charging... this would have the car in one of 2 states: [allow charging] and [disallow charging]. but that was not the case for me.

instead my charge timer operated in an EVENT driven manner. the interval between start and end times was not special, but rather the instant declared as the start time and the instant declared as the end time were used. in this manner if the car was plugged in ALREADY when the start time instant (event) occurred then the car would start charging. if the car was actively charging when the end time instant occurred then it would stop charging. plugging a charger into the car at ANY time, regardless of the start/end times of the charge timer, would NEVER immediately begin charging the car.

this was my primary issue with the charge timers. in my area time-of-use billing has 12-noon to 7pm as "peak" rates and 7:01pm through 11:59am as "off peak" and therefore cheaper. so i set my charge timers to start at 7:30pm and end at 11:30am. in this condition, however, if i cam home AFTER 7:30pm and plugged in my car, i would HAVE to remember to press the override button or use the app/website else my car would not charge at all.

i wonder why there is such a discrepancy here? mine is a 2012 SL. the stock head unit was replaced (dealership though it was faulty, replaced it, then later realized my 12volt battery was toast --- it was replaced because the screen kept opening and closing over and over again while the vehicle was OFF)

bitflung said:
baustin said:
interesting. my main issue was that the charge timers seemed to be EVENT driven rather than STATE driven.

that is, i expected them to behave as you've described: if set to charge from 2am to 7pm then plugging in the car at any time during that interval i thought it should start charging... this would have the car in one of 2 states: [allow charging] and [disallow charging]. but that was not the case for me.

instead my charge timer operated in an EVENT driven manner. the interval between start and end times was not special, but rather the instant declared as the start time and the instant declared as the end time were used. in this manner if the car was plugged in ALREADY when the start time instant (event) occurred then the car would start charging. if the car was actively charging when the end time instant occurred then it would stop charging. plugging a charger into the car at ANY time, regardless of the start/end times of the charge timer, would NEVER immediately begin charging the car.

this was my primary issue with the charge timers. in my area time-of-use billing has 12-noon to 7pm as "peak" rates and 7:01pm through 11:59am as "off peak" and therefore cheaper. so i set my charge timers to start at 7:30pm and end at 11:30am. in this condition, however, if i cam home AFTER 7:30pm and plugged in my car, i would HAVE to remember to press the override button or use the app/website else my car would not charge at all.

i wonder why there is such a discrepancy here? mine is a 2012 SL. the stock head unit was replaced (dealership though it was faulty, replaced it, then later realized my 12volt battery was toast --- it was replaced because the screen kept opening and closing over and over again while the vehicle was OFF)

It sounds like you have an issue with the head unit. I set charge timers for off-peak hours on both my 2015 and 2011. They always start(ed) charging immediately when plugged in during the on time or wait(ed) to charge until the start time if plugged in earlier. I also turn off the timers if charging at my workshop or at public chargers (or use the immediate charge button). I never had an issue with turning timers on or off with the 2011 and have had no issues so far with the 2015.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
It sounds like you have an issue with the head unit. I set charge timers for off-peak hours on both my 2015 and 2011. They always start(ed) charging immediately when plugged in during the on time or wait(ed) to charge until the start time if plugged in earlier. I also turn off the timers if charging at my workshop or at public chargers (or use the immediate charge button). I never had an issue with turning timers on or off with the 2011 and have had no issues so far with the 2015.
Gerry
i sure hope not; it's brand new (the head unit that is).
i bought the car last May and within a few weeks the head unit was malfunctioning: it repeatedly opened and closed the touchscreen display any time the leaf was "off". i had to stick a CD half-way into the slot to stop the unit from wearing itself out.

i brought it to the dealership and they replaced the head unit. problem solved... sorta. a few weeks later the car wouldn't fully turn on or off. couldn't get it in neutral either, or disengage the parking brake. i put a voltmeter on the 12v battery and it read a bit below 8v. dead battery, of course.

the dealership sent a tow truck and i dropped a 12v charger on my battery. got it topped off enough to start the car and roll it out of the garage at least before they tried towing it. brand new 12v battery was then installed.

both of these issues predate my problems with the charge timers; i hadn't tried using them prior to these issues (the car was so new to me still). so i highly doubt any issue with the battery or head unit could have caused this. still: if yours behaves differently then it would seem that either:
a) there is more than one version of the software out there and they are INTENDED to behave differently; or
b) one or both cars are behaving differently than intended.

i'll pull up the version info in my leaf to ensure it is all up to date; i wonder if my version info might differ from yours...

Bitflung,

Your car should charge without override if plugged in during scheduled charge time (as I described for both of my cars). You could try disconnecting the 12-volt battery for a few minutes to clear the system memory, reconnect the battery, and reprogram the timers. As a test, I suggest you set timer 1 start time to 7:30pm (1930) and stop time to 11:30am (1130). Then enable timer 1 for all 7 days of the week. Try plugging in at 7:45 pm and the car should start charging without pressing the override button. I keep my clock set on 24-hour time so I don't need to make sure am/pm is correct. If your timers don't work correctly during the test, I suggest switching the clock to 24-hour time and repeating the test. I suspect that disconnecting and reconnecting the 12-volt battery will solve your issue.

Good luck,
Gerry

Back