Trailer/Roof Rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Serious question, but I don't know where to post it (and don't want to annoy the moderators.) I hope it hasn't already been posted in an obscure corner of the site that I've not yet uncovered.

We're kayakers and will want to use the new LEAF to haul our two boats, as well as the occasional bicycle. Does anyone know:

a) Will the LEAF be able to tow a small trailer? It seems the aerodynamically smooth undercarriage will make for slim pickings regarding attachment points, even if it *is* OK to pull the couple hundred pounds of trailer and gear.

or

b) Is using a roof rack a reasonable alternative? I'm sure Yakima and Thule will develop something in short order, so I wonder if there's an existing vehicle, for which the aftermarket folks have already designed a rack, which has a similar roof configuration to the LEAF. My only experience is with vehicles having either gutters or factory racks/rails.

Thanks,

Glenn

I believe any towing will void the warranty.

Certainly there are universal rails that can be mounted on the roof to attach Thule & Yamika
These would be permanent mount where holes are drilled for attachment. Done every day on other vehicles.

Brackets to temporarily grab in the door jam should be available soon

Curious as to NIssan's reason for voiding the warranty; most other cars don't have this restriction, to the best of my knowledge. Have you actually seen this in writing?

Glenn said:
Serious question, but I don't know where to post it (and don't want to annoy the moderators.) I hope it hasn't already been posted in an obscure corner of the site that I've not yet uncovered.

We're kayakers and will want to use the new LEAF to haul our two boats, as well as the occasional bicycle. Does anyone know:

a) Will the LEAF be able to tow a small trailer? It seems the aerodynamically smooth undercarriage will make for slim pickings regarding attachment points, even if it *is* OK to pull the couple hundred pounds of trailer and gear.

or

b) Is using a roof rack a reasonable alternative? I'm sure Yakima and Thule will develop something in short order, so I wonder if there's an existing vehicle, for which the aftermarket folks have already designed a rack, which has a similar roof configuration to the LEAF. My only experience is with vehicles having either gutters or factory racks/rails.

Thanks,

Glenn

I actually brought this up in another thread (accessories?) awhile ago. I also kayak and use a Yakima roof rack. I plan to use it with the LEAF and just get the proper towers and clips from REI at some point. The problem is lashing it down at either end. There is a towing hook in a compartment in the front so that can be used to lash on the front end. But the back is completely smooth underneath, nothing to lash to. So I will have to figure something out. Another issue for me is putting on a trunk bike rack. The only place to hook it will be over the solar panel and I am not sure that is going to work. They did not build this car with the idea that we would be lashing stuff to it! Let us all share information on our "fixes" once we get our cars!

Glenn said:
I'm sure Yakima and Thule will develop something in short order, so I wonder if there's an existing vehicle, for which the aftermarket folks have already designed a rack, which has a similar roof configuration to the LEAF. My only experience is with vehicles having either gutters or factory racks/rails.

On the Yakima site you can sign up now to be notified by email when they have the LEAF mounts ready. My guess is they'll be similar to the Versa aircraft-door style (gutterless) mounts.

My only experience with gutterless mounts was with Thule on a Saturn wagon - it worked OK, and I think they've both refined their designs since then quite a bit.

As noted, with relatively little crossbar separation and limited options for end-ties to stabilize the load, kayaks might be a big ask, depending on their length/weight. I'm pretty sure bikes and surfboards will be no problem though.

DarkStar said:
smkettner said:
Misuse, such as overloading, using the vehicle to
tow
, driving over curbs, or using the vehicle as a
power source.
They can't specifically void the warranty due to towing.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Right. I was just noticing the wording says

"This warranty does not cover damage, failures or corrosion
resulting from or caused by:

Misuse, such as overloading, using the vehicle to
tow, driving over curbs, or using the vehicle as a
power source."

Kataphn said:
The problem is lashing it down at either end. There is a towing hook in a compartment in the front so that can be used to lash on the front end. But the back is completely smooth underneath, nothing to lash to. So I will have to figure something out...
Let us all share information on our "fixes" once we get our cars!
Good point, Kat. I've handled that on our current vehicle by using the tailgate hinge points for the stern lines, and fender attachment bolts under the hood for bow lines. This method also prevents ropes or straps from rubbing against painted surfaces, especially important on our brand new babies! :p I'd be happy to share those solutions with you (or anyone else) backchannel.

Glenn

wsbca said:
On the Yakima site you can sign up now to be notified by email when they have the LEAF mounts ready. My guess is they'll be similar to the Versa aircraft-door style (gutterless) mounts.

As noted, with relatively little crossbar separation and limited options for end-ties to stabilize the load, kayaks might be a big ask, depending on their length/weight.
Yep, bow and stern lines are a definite must-have for us; but as I noted to Kat (above) that should be a relatively easy solution.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Yakima notification; I'm now on their email list!

Glenn

I use a bicycle rack in the light trailer hitch of my prius. That type of rack is the best. No scratched car, no crushed bikes like a roof rack when you drive into the garage or a low place.

I sure hope Nissan comes up with one. I bike everyday and my wife keeps the car, we car pool bike to be super efficient and get exersie. Nissan should know that bicyucles and EV's go together. When I asked the LEAF is so new they haven't eventhought of accessories yet like a bike rack. I'm sure someone will make them. Sounds like a good company to start, accessories for the LEAF.

smkettner said:
Probably not a blanket void but certainly if the towing can be shown to cause the damage
It is a grey area to be excercised at your own risk

No - that's actually the point of Mag-Moss. The 'blanket void' is illegal in the US. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the damage was caused by towing.

Also, keep in mind that there are many warranties on a vehicle - not just one. If someone abuses the car and that leads to voiding the warranty on suspension, that doesn't mean the other coverage is also void. (killing the shocks doesn't kill the battery warranty...)

Back