Tools & lube for Clicking repair

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all: I have decided to do the click repair myself & have 2 questions: #1, what width cape chisel would I need? They are available in varying widths from 1/8" on up. #2, There are a number of molybdenum grease listed on Amazon. One is a High temp silicone/Molybdenum so2 assembly & extreme pressure cam grease which looks really suitable ($18.70) aside from the Honda M77 lube. There are other well priced choices too. Many thanks in advance, Jerry

Nissan specifies the Molykote M77 which I just ordered. I could save a few bucks with something different but I'd rather use what's recommended since I'm saving $350+ by doing it myself anyway. I plan to undertake this "fix" when everything arrives. I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C686QTKN and I will grind it down if it's too wide. It doesn't appear to be so I took a chance.

Nissan specifies the Molykote M77 which I just ordered. I could save a few bucks with something different but I'd rather use what's recommended since I'm saving $350+ by doing it myself anyway. I plan to undertake this "fix" when everything arrives. I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C686QTKN and I will grind it down if it's too wide. It doesn't appear to be so I took a chance.

The curved tool I believe is the chisel that you put in the slot and pry up or hit it in to push out the dented edge (stake). The other I assume is the tool to stake the new nut. I've never done this but not afraid to learn as I go. Others used screwdrivers, punches, or chisels (one video he broke it). I'd rather use the right tool and not damage the axle, not ruin a tool, and make it look as professionally done as I can. Another video shows the guy punch out pieces of the edge of the nut. Not something that a repair shop would have done.

The curved tool I believe is the chisel that you put in the slot and pry up or hit it in to push out the dented edge (stake). The other I assume is the tool to stake the new nut. I've never done this but not afraid to learn as I go. Others used screwdrivers, punches, or chisels (one video he broke it). I'd rather use the right tool and not damage the axle, not ruin a tool, and make it look as professionally done as I can. Another video shows the guy punch out pieces of the edge of the nut. Not something that a repair shop would have done.

Back