Tire Wear on Edges. Anybody else seeing this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clippy said:
drees said:
You've got a crappy dealer.
This is the same dealer that took three tries to change the oil correctly in my Mazda5.
And you went back!?! Why in the world didn't you go to some other dealer? I agree with drees, it's the dealer that's the problem, not the car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Give the car to the dealer, demand a rental and let them sort it out

Actually, they offered a rental, and a charge. But, I had two kids, car seats and a vehicle that would just make it home if I left then.

I drove a total of 29.2 miles today on an 80% charge. It's in the garage with 11 miles on the GOM.

I keep going back to this dealer in no small part to see what else they can mess up. It's been great fun.

I figure Nissan and the dealer will sort it out. If not, I don't really care much. The vehicle has served it main purpose which was to help rescue an ever shrinking IRA from the clutches of my broker and the IRS. In that it has succeeded fully.

12,200 miles on my tires as of right now. One rotation at about 8,500 miles. Had a rear wheel off last Wednesday to plug a nail hole and made note that my tires are wearing beautifully evenly, despite me over inflating to 40psi.

TomT said:
Nissan has had problems like this before and has changed the specs on other cars such as the Z... So, there is precedence for this. Unfortunately, the only readily alignable spec on the Leaf is front toe-in...

laalan said:
I believe the alignment spec has changed once on the vehicle. I am willing to bet there will be another.

Oh my, what's meant by "readily alignable"? There's no way to adjust camber? :| I think mine needs a bit of adjustment; hopefully it's toe!

Clippy said:
If I'm getting my chops busted on a problem as obvious as this (I showed the fellow the MNL posted photos), what's going to happen if some really big stuff starts breaking? Nope, ain't gonna chance it....

How would Nissan know you did not run over a cat?.. why assume the tires are bad based on a forum with squeaky-wheel syndrome.

Nubo said:
Oh my, what's meant by "readily alignable"? There's no way to adjust camber? :| I think mine needs a bit of adjustment; hopefully it's toe!

Sometimes you can use a camber adjustment aftermarket device. Here is an example:

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/triple-c/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TripleC2_medium.jpg

Herm said:
Sometimes you can use a camber adjustment aftermarket device. Here is an example:

Thanks.

If the dealer finds your camber needs adjusting, do they use something like this? Or do they just tell you that camber isn't adjustable?

I would never go to a dealer for alignment but in any case, a dealer would likely tell you the only way to fix it is to replace parts in the suspension because that is what the service manual says to do...

Nubo said:
If the dealer finds your camber needs adjusting, do they use something like this? Or do they just tell you that camber isn't adjustable?

Mine look fine with 5.5K miles of hard driving. They were wearing oddly until I ran them at 52 PSI. Much better ride and handling now.

You are running a tire rated for a maximum pressure of 44 pounds at 52 pounds??? Remind me not to drive next to you...
EVDRIVER said:
Mine look fine with 5.5K miles of hard driving. They were wearing oddly until I ran them at 52 PSI. Much better ride and handling now.

TomT said:
You are running a tire rated for a maximum pressure of 44 pounds at 52 pounds??? Remind me not to drive next to you...
EVDRIVER said:

I don't go to the valley :lol: I also don't drive in Death Valley at 70 MPH for extended times. Perhaps I can scare everyone off the road and have it to myself. Watch out though, I'm not alone.

EVDRIVER said:
TomT said:
The sidewall says:

"MAX LOAD 580 kg ( 1279 lbs)
AT 300 kPa (44 psi) MAX PRESS
"

It doesn't say "exceed 44 psi and you will die". The 44 psi figure pertains to the maximum weight to be placed on the wheel/tire. It does not state that it is the maximum pressure ever. So does that mean 44 psi (or more) is safe, or is it dangerous? Does that mean that if the tire has less than the maximum load on it then it's safe to use more than 44 psi? How would I know?

I do know that it's common practice to recommend to casual/first-time autocrossers running on low-performance street tires to start with an inflation pressure 10 lbs above the sidewall's "max pressure" figure and adjust down (or up) in 3 psi increments to get the best compromise between traction/sidewall roll-over/under- or oversteer/etc. I autocrossed for ten years; I did not see a single tire issue resulting from that practice. (The usual disclaimers go here.)

I too have run my tires at about the same pressure as EVDriver since I've had my Leaf. I arrived at it by experimentation. The car still rides fine and drives well at this pressure, and there is still significant safety factor, so I'm happy.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I too have run my tires at about the same pressure as EVDriver since I've had my Leaf. I arrived at it by experimentation. The car still rides fine and drives well at this pressure, and there is still significant safety factor, so I'm happy.

-Phil

I'm running 44psi front & rear also; The car drives and handles just fine @ all speeds. No tire wear noticable @ 5,000+ miles.

My 2006 Prius went over 45,000 miles with those original POS Goodyear Integrity tires---always inflated to 42-44psi, with no issues whatsoever. I'm now running Michelins on the Prius @ 42psi. I'm a firm believer in high PSI, for improved mileage and less wear.

I was at 42 but 50-52 makes the car far more stable from the reduced sidewall flex.

EVDRIVER said:
TomT said:
EVDRIVER said:

I don't go to the valley :lol: I also don't drive in Death Valley at 70 MPH for extended times. Perhaps I can scare everyone off the road and have it to myself. Watch out though, I'm not alone.
+1
;)

EVDRIVER said:
I was at 42 but 50-52 makes the car far more stable from the reduced sidewall flex.

Interesting; I'd have though it would make it dance like a jitterbug but it seems to be working for you.

I've got mine at 40, but lowered to 36 this morning. I seem to have an alignment issue and I didn't want to take it in only to have them check pressures and say "THERE'S your problem!" :roll:

Actually, that is not what it means - check the tire industry documentation for specifics on this - and as it has been discussed in great detail in other threads here before, I'll not delve in to it again... Suffice it to say that I would never feel comfortable running a road tire almost 20 percent above the maximum recommended inflation pressure for an extended period... YMMV, of course.

aqn said:
The sidewall says:
"MAX LOAD 580 kg ( 1279 lbs)
AT 300 kPa (44 psi) MAX PRESS
"
It doesn't say "exceed 44 psi and you will die". The 44 psi figure pertains to the maximum weight to be placed on the wheel/tire.

Back