My front tires are dying

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

front Right Side http://i.imgur.com/uugIlLE.jpg

front Left Side: http://i.imgur.com/yRfmsdS.jpg

My tires are showing increased wear on the edges I checked PSI and it was:

Front
32left 35right
rear
35left 35right

The front left had a screw pierce it and received a patch and plug job. I guess I need to rotate my tires and also increase PSI? from what I read 40 PSI helps with the wear an tear is this a good idea even on a patch and plug tire?

I tend to enjoy taking the curves at a fast speed (Bad me) so I'm unsure if this could be increasing the wear on the edges? No sensor warning for the front left.

-edit-

I'm the second owner of this 2013 nissan leaf. Been driving it for 6 months. It started with 23,269 miles now it has 31,121. No idea on tire rotation history alignment, or anything else for that matter :(. I'd rather not spend on a new set of tires. I'm thinking on selling th leaf on october of 2016.

OP, your tires are not dying ... they are wearing unevenly. I'm curious, how many miles do you have on the set? When was the last time you had them rotated? When was the last time that you had a front-end alignment?

Recommend that you Google "tire wear guide". It looks like you may have an issue with excessive camber or toe (in or out). A front end alignment may even out the wear from here on out but for peace of mind you might consider a new set. I've not had problems getting very highly rated tires installed for $400 or less.

Good luck ...

dud said:
OP, your tires are not dying ... they are wearing unevenly. I'm curious, how many miles do you have on the set? When was the last time you had them rotated? When was the last time that you had a front-end alignment?

Recommend that you Google "tire wear guide". It looks like you may have an issue with excessive camber or toe (in or out). A front end alignment may even out the wear from here on out but for peace of mind you might consider a new set. I've not had problems getting very highly rated tires installed for $400 or less.

Good luck ...

I'm the second owner of this 2013 nissan leaf. Been driving it for 6 months. It started with 23,269 miles now it has 31,121. No idea on tire rotation history alignment, or anything else for that matter :(. I'd rather not spend on a new set of tires. I'm thinking on selling th leaf on october of 2016.

I guess a rotation is in order? how much is alignment at the dealer? Should I not go to the dealer for this? Not sure how many miles these tires are Im guessing they are the originals?

mwalsh said:
How often are you rotating? And are you using the correct pattern for non-directional tires on a FWD vehicle?
+1... Have learned 3 things about tires on a LEAF.
1). Ignore the owners manual on tire rotation as they got it wrong for the type of tire on the car from the factory. Need to rotate fronts straight back, cross the rears to the front (reverse the rotation direction). This will give much more even tire wear. This caused a brief debate with the dealership service writer, told him to do it or will take the car to up the street to my Honda dealer.
2). Run pressures higher than the owners manual/door sticker. My preference is 40 psi fronts/38 psi rears.
3). Have your alignment checked. The toe-in was badly out of adjustment at on mine 15K miles. Judging by the bump in range and change in handling it was likely out of adjustment from the factory.

Mine is pushing 29K miles and the tires look like they can go another 10K. These are the original Bridgestones.

Also keep in mind that the outer tread block on the EP422s have significantly less tread depth than the rest of the tire, so it will appear to wear our significantly faster than the rest of the tire, when it's really not all that bad.

Best way to mitigate the wear, though, is higher pressure and rotations as others have said.

smkettner said:
Increase to 42-44 psi all positions and rotate the tires.

44 PSI even on the Patch and Plug tire? Is that okay? I mean the poor thing had a little screw go through it then it got patched and plugged. Will the patch and plug hold?

Thanks for all the input guys I will have to rotate the tires :(.

NissanLeafCamper said:
smkettner said:
Increase to 42-44 psi all positions and rotate the tires.

44 PSI even on the Patch and Plug tire? Is that okay? I mean the poor thing had a little screw go through it then it got patched and plugged. Will the patch and plug hold?

Thanks for all the input guys I will have to rotate the tires :(.

A proper combination of patch & plug or a mushroom patch repair should be safe at max listed tire inflation.

Back