Timer fails to fire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpickup

Here's what's happening:

I use an END-time only timer. I have one timer set for 80% and one timer set for 100%. Based on the next day's anticipated needs, I assign one or the other timer. They are both set to END at 7:30am.

This has been extremely reliable. Until yesterday, it's only failed twice, and I've chalked both of those instances up to issues with the charging station (once) and not getting the nozzle seated properly (once). Those were both early on in my ownership and I haven't had any issues for the past 16 months.

Yesterday I had a 100% timer set. My wife got in the car and by the time she left the neighborhood, she noticed she was down to 9 bars (I can't recall what it was the night before, so I can't tell if there was any charging or not).

Today I had an 80% timer set. My wife got in the car this morning and was at 8 bars. This is what it was at when I came home last night.

Both yesterday and today, when my wife returned home, we hit the timer suspend button to charge the car immediately and the car started charging immediately with no issues. I also did the same at a ChargePoint station last night, again with no issues.

I checked my "charging stopped" notifications, and whereas normally these notifications arrive between 7:01 and 7:11am, for the past 2 days they have arrived EXACTLY at 7:30am, they say "Charging stopped" and said the battery is currently at 9/12 bars (yesterday) and 8/12 bars (today).

I have double checked the car's clock(s), etc. and all looks to be correct.

Before I immediately jump to blaming the LEAF's timer system, however, there is one more variable.

I was part of a pilot program with my utility that provided me with a special AV charging station. From the outside it looks like the standard Nissan unit (maybe with a different logo on the face). But on the inside it apparently has a cell transceiver that is able to send usage information to AV (and the utility) which I agreed to as part of the pilot program. Actually I rather like the fact that I can log onto an AV website and get very detailed information about my charging. The pilot program officially ended a month ago and ownership of the EVSE transferred to me and I was notified that data collection would be turned off shortly. Sure enough, according to my AV website portal, that day appears to have been Wednesday (6/26). I see no activity on my charging station after that day (even though it as actively charged).

So I'm thinking it is probably not a coincidence that on the day they turned off data collection that my charging no longer works! The only thing that would convince me otherwise is that it works just fine when I suspend the timer. So I'm thinking: how does the EVSE know the difference between me plugging in the LEAF with the timer off (and charging immediately) and the LEAF initiating charging in the middle of the night?

Strangely enough, our 2012 SL has done this twice in the last week, have never had an issue before, and we've used the timers for months. I did have the software update done last week, hope that this isn't because of it...

A few times I have plugged in to charge with a given timer (and percent) and then later decided to change the timer without unplugging first. It didn't work right.

Is this possibly what happened?

Need to unplug before changing the timer, then plug back in.

No, we pretty much just always charge to 80% on weekdays (short commute) and 100% on weekends when we do a lot more driving. Both just have an end timer, so it finishes before we leave for work in the morning. Plugged the car in at the end of the day, came back the next morning to find it hadn't charged at all.

Psyclonus said:
Strangely enough, our 2012 SL has done this twice in the last week, have never had an issue before, and we've used the timers for months. I did have the software update done last week, hope that this isn't because of it...

I use an end timer as well. When I plugged in after the software update, my car began charging immediately. I reset my timer and charging has worked normally for the past 4 days.

I have not yet had the software update done, so in my case it was not related to that.

I did call Aerovironment, and of course they were not helpful and insisted that their EVSE was not to blame. I requested to have the data collection re-enabled for my own benefit, and while I did get the idea he had no idea what I was talking about, the data collection has recommenced and I've had no issues since.

Back