Tier 2 pushed back to Summer 2011???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No personal property tax on EV's in Virginia?????????

first I have heard, you sure?

course now all I need is an EV ,,,,, anyone got an EV for sale?

it says they have the option

wonder if anyone who has a Tesla in Virginia can confirm no propert taxes

BTW who is going to go onto a chat and ask whats up with the delay?

you game Timehorse

I can think of 2 possibilities why Nissan pushed out the order dates.
- Winter package is not ready for order
- Number of Leafs Nissan will have between now and summer is just about enough to satisfy the cars that have been ordered now.

The second case could be because of
- Lower number of cars manufactured in Opamma than planned (for various technical/financial reasons) or
- Lower number of cars will be sent to US than planned (for various business/financial reasons)

There is also the possibility of logistical hurdles in opening the orders in Tier2. I think the chances of this are lower.
- Legal framework for EVSE install not clear in these states
- Dealers / Mechanics not trained
- Nissan Corp is fully engaged in the Tier 1 rollout and doesn't have resources to handle Tier 2 states

As an interesting aside, I see that some in Texas people still haven't ordered. They could RAQ months back. That is mainly because dealers are not as engaged as in other states and/or Nissan corp couldn't pay enough attention to Texas because of 5 launch states. They probably don't want a repeat of this in Tier 2 states.

In Maryland, and yep, I just received the same email. I don't understand how the second wave is being delayed for so long.

I received the email on Friday - Harford County, Baltimore suburb.

TimeHorse said:
Grant said:
TimeHorse said:
Arlington, eh? I thought Kevin and I were the only ones in Northern Virginia. Welcome to the club!

So that's by my count 3 active in VA, 2 in NC and 2 in FL, right?

Hi, I'm in Northern Virginia also. I did NOT receive the email about the delay (or any other update recently). I pre-ordered on 4/20. Did everyone in VA receive it?

Check your spam folder. If Arlington is out, I can't imagine any part of Virginia is in except maybe Alexandria City. Technically I've heard from no-one in the District, but we have someone in the close Maryland suburbs also report receiving the letter. And I'm in Fairfax County. Technically, I've heard nothing from any D.C. residents, so it may actually be the eye-poked 7 with the District still in, but I highly doubt that given that there are no Nissan Dealerships in the District so they'd have to buy out of state anyway. So if Maryland and VA got it, I'm sure you did to, so check your spam folder.

evnow said:
I can think of 2 possibilities why Nissan pushed out the order dates.
1A- Winter package is not ready for order
1B- Number of Leafs Nissan will have between now and summer is just about enough to satisfy the cars that have been ordered now.

The second case could be because of
2A- Lower number of cars manufactured in Opamma than planned (for various technical/financial reasons) or
2B- Lower number of cars will be sent to US than planned (for various business/financial reasons)

There is also the possibility of logistical hurdles in opening the orders in Tier2. I think the chances of this are lower.
3A- Legal framework for EVSE install not clear in these states
3B- Dealers / Mechanics not trained
3C- Nissan Corp is fully engaged in the Tier 1 rollout and doesn't have resources to handle Tier 2 states

As an interesting aside, I see that some in Texas people still haven't ordered. They could RAQ months back. That is mainly because dealers are not as engaged as in other states and/or Nissan corp couldn't pay enough attention to Texas because of 5 launch states. They probably don't want a repeat of this in Tier 2 states.
Good list. Of these, my guess is 1B, 2A, and 3C. That is, multiple issues, and Nissan decided to slow things down by 6-12 months. Bad because they lose a no-competition time period, but good if the alternative is confusion and error, or maybe they just don't have the cars ready.

garygid said:
If you want EVs in your area "sooner", work with the PUs and state/local agencies in your area to make your area "ready" for EVs and the associated infrastructure.

I have all the infrastructure I need. I have an outlet in my garage and can easily add a Level II EVSE. With the Tier 2 states getting bumped to Summer 11, what does that mean for us remaining states that initially targeted for Fall/Winter 11? Spring/Summer 12?

I live in CT and can get a Volt now if I wanted, but I really want a BEV. It will meet all my daily driving needs. CT is not that big. Our driving distances are very short. Let us get in the game.

garrytman said:
With the Tier 2 states getting bumped to Summer 11, what does that mean for us remaining states that initially targeted for Fall/Winter 11? Spring/Summer 12?

The press release said that Nissan is on track for a nationwide launch by 2012.

rnkepler said:
garrytman said:
With the Tier 2 states getting bumped to Summer 11, what does that mean for us remaining states that initially targeted for Fall/Winter 11? Spring/Summer 12?

Yes, and that has probably always been the plan. It's always been 2012, and the EV project areas get their cars 1 year ahead, for testing and data gathering.

So it lookis like a 12-14 month wait for a car people , best case would be order aug 31 2011 get a car december 2011
worst case ????? order sep or oct 2011

maybe get a car in may june july 2012

we need to rethink our timelines

my guess is 2 plus years for most people who reserved april 2010 and are outside the initial launch areas

all of us tier 2 will be getting a 2012 model (at least I will get my heated steering wheel and heated seats)

rnkepler said:
garrytman said:

I guess that could mean Dec 31, 2012 - which is almost 2 years out ......

I've update the top-post with a link to my chat transcript with Patrick over at Nissan Customer Service.

AECN Blog said:
There not much new here but it helps to have the questions asked even if they can't yet be answered. Truth be known, Patrick really wasn't able to answer any of the hard questions because he's quite low in the Nissan Totem Poll. I would be thrilled to ask these same questions in a 1:1 with Mark Perry, Nissan's director of product planning and strategy, but this blog isn't big enough to get that kind of access, I'm afraid. (At least not yet…) None the less, I did find the interview informative and I include here a transcript for your own edification. In summary, the LEAF is expected to go into general release by the end of 2011 in the U.S. and 2012 across the world, including Canada. I couldn't get any answer for the delay in Tier 2 ordering, nor how many new reservations would be accepted once they open up again, though they will be universally opened. Patrick could not even confirm the Fall / Winter 2011 ordering schedule for the Forgotten 36, though the 2011 deadline would seem to indicate this schedule is still in effect. No news on 2012 model availability or changes or whether the Cold Weather Trim would be added or a 6.6kW charger option made available.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1960

Thanks TimeHorse for your good comments on this situation and for providing your chat transcript.

I may try a chat myself if I have time later tonight...

Again, I doubt it will change the situation, but it can't hurt to make it clear to Nissan's representatives that it's a disappointing decision. And also that although it's not the chat representatives' fault, it makes them look bad to have given out information less than a week ago that we're still on track to order in December, even though their management must have known otherwise.

And if the chat representatives don't have the answers to the hard questions, maybe we should (naively perhaps) ask to speak to someone who does.

StrangerTides said:
I may try a chat myself if I have time later tonight...

Please go right ahead. The more questions they get, the more they will realize they should answer them. And those are some good ones. I tried to go no heaver than why the delay but I would like some really hard questions answered. And for that matter, wouldn't it be nice if we had a true reporter cough mwalsh cough to see if he could get in contact with Mark Perry and try and get him to answer some of those beyond Patrick.

garrytman said:
garygid said:
If you want EVs in your area "sooner", work with the PUs and state/local agencies in your area to make your area "ready" for EVs and the associated infrastructure.

I have all the infrastructure I need. I have an outlet in my garage and can easily add a Level II EVSE. With the Tier 2 states getting bumped to Summer 11, what does that mean for us remaining states that initially targeted for Fall/Winter 11? Spring/Summer 12?

I live in CT and can get a Volt now if I wanted, but I really want a BEV. It will meet all my daily driving needs. CT is not that big. Our driving distances are very short. Let us get in the game.

Think...by waiting you will be able to get the 'cold weather' package that includes heated steering wheel, seats, and battery pack. It doesn't get that cold here in the winter (66d. ave.), but I would have loved to have heated seats and steering wheel.

As to my pointing out that by 2012 there is a good chance other mass
production EVs may/will join the LEAF in the market place:

GroundLoop said:
Really, thought, what would you rather have?
A Coda? A Think City? A Fit EV? None of these seem to stand out as better
than the Leaf.

All the ones that sound "better" are a good three years away.. Infiniti EV,
Fisker Karma, RAV4 EV II, etc.

Yeah, okay, we'd all rather have a Roadster, but hey. What else are you going
to buy in 2011? 2012? A plug-in hybrid?

Right now Nissan is the only player. Their marketing net can sweep up all potential
first-time EV buyers, just because there is nowhere else to go. At least some
of those lookers/buyers are looking to the LEAF out of desperation. Maybe they
really want a smaller car; Focus, iMIev, THINK City. Maybe they really want a larger
vehicle; Ford Transit Conect BEV, RAV4 EV II.

Being locked out of the initial Tier 1 roll-out frenzy gives these folks a chance to
stop and collect their thoughts. Maybe it would be better, wiser to wait and see
if the other EVs are a better fit to their needs.

Sure, none of these other EVs are a LEAF. So what? They may be a better fit.

It is really painful to see the contortions that Nissan is putting buyers through in
Tier 1 States. It seems that they've got some problems somewhere be it orders,
conversions, worldwide distribution, manufacturing, etc. And as to the slow
pushing back of delivery dates, Nissan is being if not disingenuous, then as
my late Grandmother said, "Too soon clever, too late smart."

I have walked out of brick-and-mortar dealers, and terminated online
negotiations for far less shenanigans and tomfoolery than what folks are putting
up with, apparently to be "a part of history." Wow. Looking back from the
perspective of one or two years time, I think it will look more like a mild form
of hysteria.

I for one am glad that due geographic happenstance I'm not locked into the LEAF.
A wait and see attitude works just fine for me. I suspect that there are others
in the Tier 2 States and beyond that are thinking likewise. I'm sure that in the
long run Nissan will sell every LEAF they produce. But they will have lost many
folks to other options as they come on the market.

And as to the seriousness of other EV makers, THINK has been making them for 25
years, and has come back from a debilitating takeover by Ford. They have a
manufacturing facility in Elkhart, Indiana that is, albeit slowly, producing road-
ready cars TODAY.
How more serious can you get?

Back