The wife wants a third! (child)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that title screamed "threesome" at first :eek: , then I figured nah, he really means another LEAF :roll: , but first impressions are tricky sometimes. And thankyouOB was just teasing you about a LEAF being a bigger concern to you than your wife. She just might agree with him! ;)

Best wishes on your future little bundle of joy!

Our third was born a month after we took delivery of the Leaf. Turned out it works fine. The only annouance is that the 5 and the 7 year old cannot fasten their seat belts alone so I have to do that (although I suspect that they could if they really tried. A 20 cm seat belt extension might be an idea, but so far I just fasten the belts myself (they do get them off alone, unfortunately). We were actually thinking to change the leaf into an eNV200 once they are available, but we might just keep the Leaf although I'd love to have sliding doors back... Right now I try to park at least 1 meter from every other car to avoid collateral damage by kids my sons opening their doors... They actually managed to scratch two cars within 30 seconds. First one son opened the door and the very strong wind crashed it into a car just in reach and while I i called to the other don... it was too late and the other door crashed into the car on the other side... Fortunately the owners did not mind the little scratch in the paint. The Leaf lost a little bit of color at the points of impact but fortunately its aluminum doors so who cares...
This is the downside of a Leaf opposed to a minivan (with sliding doors) I see and of course if you need to have a trolley. Even our big trolley fits in, but I have to remove the wheels. However, there is models which fit in nicely, but we just use the ones we were used to use with our VW van. Of course if there had been an electric van available a year ago when I bought the Leaf, I would have chosen the van. But the Leaf happened to be the first real electric five seater available new in Norway and everybody in the family is still perfectly happy with the choice. And funny enough the children seats fit into the Leaf while they don't fit into much bigger family cars we have tried since we bought the Leaf. As I see it, the Leaf is the least problem when having a third child ;-) What I would be worried about is if it really is only nr.3 coming somtimes you get number 3 and 4 and with a little luck also 5 at the same time and that is when I would start to worry. However, the Leaf would still remain be the least of problems, you can always change cars ;-) I for my part was really relieved when we found out for sure it was only one (especially as a friend just got number 2, 3 and 4 at the same time).

I second the idea of getting the Sunshine Kids (Diono) seats. We currently have two but bought them specifically incase we ever have a third kid. They are very sturdy and narrow. They are not as easy to install as the Britaxs that my in-laws have, but they aren't terrible. As a side benefit, the Diono steats are low enough to the seat that my 4 year old can easily climb in to the seat herself and buckle herself in, and our 2 year old can almost climb in without help.

eclecticflower said:
Wow, that title screamed "threesome" at first :eek: , then I figured nah, he really means another LEAF :roll: , but first impressions are tricky sometimes. And thankyouOB was just teasing you about a LEAF being a bigger concern to you than your wife. She just might agree with him! ;)

Best wishes on your future little bundle of joy!

I guess I should have though my wording through a little more carefully...

I guess what I was trying to say is that while there are many sacrifices one makes when bringing more children into this world. I've thought about them all and the thought of giving up my EV, which I have waited so long to be able to drive, is a painful thought. Of course I would get another car if I needed to. I'm not that attached to the Leaf. But I'd rather find a way to make the Leaf work.

SmilingWhileSailing- I don't know what the laws are in Norway, but in the US we have strict safety laws which has led to large, bulky car seats. In NYS, all children under 8 years must be in at least a booster seat.

As for Tesla, I wish!

bradbissell said:
I second the idea of getting the Sunshine Kids (Diono) seats. We currently have two but bought them specifically incase we ever have a third kid. They are very sturdy and narrow. They are not as easy to install as the Britaxs that my in-laws have, but they aren't terrible. As a side benefit, the Diono steats are low enough to the seat that my 4 year old can easily climb in to the seat herself and buckle herself in, and our 2 year old can almost climb in without help.
How is the rear visibility once the seat is installed (rear-facing, if you did that).

The larger child seats are making them safer in an accident, but the poor visibility can increase the risk of that accident :(

GetOffYourGas said:
eclecticflower said:
SmilingWhileSailing- I don't know what the laws are in Norway, but in the US we have strict safety laws which has led to large, bulky car seats. In NYS, all children under 8 years must be in at least a booster seat.
Somewhere I posted a picture, but I don't remember where. However, The seats are HUGE and as I said they don't fit into a Volkswagen Passat (whatever they are called in the US) or a Jetta, but into the Leaf (and only barely). But I can even fit in 3 seats for the 5-7 year olds and they are huge. However, I have to use either two of our Britax Kidfix and one of the Cybex seats or 2 Cybex and one Britax in the middle. Else they won't fit. But with the baby seats in the middle (Britax and maxicosi) it works fine though seat belt fastening is a problem. I can't use the isofix system for any of the seats while there are 3 seats since the attachment points are too far to the middle of the bench. And the newest generation of Britax seats wouldn't fit either with their built in side protection system (SICT or something) which is approximately 10 additional cm thick on each side...

The Diono seats feel smaller than the Britax height-wise. Rear facing will block some of your visibility, but that is the case for all car seats. We had the 2 seats in our Rav4 and they were fine rear facing. You may have to get the seat angle adjuster ($10) if you have the driver/passenger seats all the way back like we do.

The Diono seats are crash tested and are very safe. They do weigh a ton, but they have metal frames so it makes sense. Overall they are great seats and allow 3 across in most cars.

bradbissell said:
Rear facing will block some of your visibility, but that is the case for all car seats.
Funny thing is - what blocks my view now is the backseat headrest in front of the child seat. I had taken it out, but had to put it back so that I could install the mirror for the baby.

Currently planning to buy a Combi Cocorro for my Leaf and Diono for my wife's car.

BTW, the bigger problem might be the stroller, in terms of space.

wow - and here my wife and I are still only contemplating 0 to 1 kids - we haven't settled but it looks like it will lean more to the 1 kid. I guess its hard for me to argue to get a model S?

Luckily, my wife and I only have two kids. And they came pre-grown (we adopted)....

But my friends across town, who are also EV nuts, adopted three, and managed to get three booster seats/car seats in the back of their Leaf. I think the drove the car over to the store and spent a good few hours trying various versions of carseat before finding ones which fitted best.

When it comes to growing up, I wouldn't worry so much. Here, we regularly have three 9/10-year olds (sometimes one in the front too!) in the back of our Leaf for round-town trips with friends' kids.

But don't forget that the e-NV200 is coming into production in 2014 in Europe, and I'd guess that it may be heading to the US too.

A minivan with the same drivetrain and tech specs as the Leaf? I suspect there may be a 7-seat option, although this is pure speculation.

Back