The wife wants a third! (child)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetOffYourGas

After years of talking about how two kids is just right, my wife suddenly starts talking about a third child. After the shock wore off, I thought it through. A lot. One of my biggest concerns is the Leaf - can it still work for us?

Has anyone put three car seats across the back of their Leaf? I would have a 3 year old, a 5 year old and of course a newborn.

yup! But only a certain kind. Check out this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been researching car seats for our only kid - now that she is too tall for the infant seat. Combi Coccoro will fit 3. Apparenlty you can even have (slightly) larger seats on the 2 sides & put the Combi as the middle one. And, it is a great looking seat.

http://carseatblog.com/2285/combi-coccoro-review-small-cars-and-three-across/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three across is easy and simple to figure out with the Coccoro. The seat is the same width from top to bottom, so the fit is consistent and “puzzling” isn’t necessary. It fit great next to a Radian, and would fit snugly against another Coccoro. It takes up the same space width-wise whether facing rear or forward. It takes up about 3” less space than a Roundabout, for instance, when installed next to the Radian.

img00270-300x225.jpg

ps : see this http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas said:
After years of talking about how two kids is just right, my wife suddenly starts talking about a third child. After the shock wore off, I thought it through. A lot. One of my biggest concerns is the Leaf - can it still work for us?

Has anyone put three car seats across the back of their Leaf? I would have a 3 year old, a 5 year old and of course a newborn.

one of your "biggest concerns" is the LEAF and whether the young'uns will fit in it?
that is the most hilarious thing I have heard all day.
tell that to your wife and see if she shares your priorities. :lol:

thankyouOB said:
one of your "biggest concerns" is the LEAF and whether the young'uns will fit in it?
If you tell her that, let us know how you enjoyed your cold dinner and sleeping on the couch. :lol: :lol:

palmermd said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXcjbFIzHBw[/youtube]
This video sold me on the Leaf. I have 2 kids, and we are talking about #3 as well. I would likely need a booster, a toddler car seat and an infant carrier.

I may have looked at a Volt if they had three seats, but no dice.

Child seats are one of my pet peeves. People that have not extensively dealt with installation and child loading on those things have no idea how difficult they can make car selection.

Thirty years ago a family of five could easily fit in a small sedan, now it is a jigsaw puzzle. Heaven forbid you try and add an unexpected passenger under the age of 8 in any car. The logistics involved in keeping the right seat under a kid no matter what vehicle they ride in is crazy.
What I want to see is cars with integrated fold out child seats!

I do like what Tesla has done with the jump seat concept. I hope more auto makers follow through.

We know the Leaf can take three, but you may find yourself in an ongoing struggle once #3 comes in fighting the "we need a bigger vehicle" argument.

Bicster said:
Time for a Model S with jumpseats in the back. The sacrifices you have to make...

I think he may be right.
3 kids in a leaf would not make you happy.
9 months to get that "S" I fear.
Always had luck with BRITAX car seats.
Swore by them.

Good Luck!

I too thought a 3rd Leaf...Wow the tunnel vision we all have here. :lol:

Bicster said:
Time for a Model S with jumpseats in the back. The sacrifices you have to make...

Big sacrifice, but you just have to make those hard decisions somtimes.... :cool:

I've got 3 kids, but usually only the 5 & 6 yr olds are in the back. I was worried about the recessed buckles, but after a couple of weeks the 5 yr old had it down pat. Now, if there was a car seat in the middle, it would be much tougher to get the outside seats buckled in.

I fear the model S is going to be the only thing to save you from a Volvo wagon or mini van...

Philip

Those Britax seats are huge. They're nice and I have a couple of them, but I've been much happer with the Sunshine Kids (Diono) seats. They're metal (heavily padded of course), so the frames are much slimmer and they fit much better into smaller cars. You could get three of those in a LEAF with plenty of room to spare. They'd also leave a lot of room in the center for an infant carrier.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
We know the Leaf can take three, but you may find yourself in an ongoing struggle once #3 comes in fighting the "we need a bigger vehicle" argument.

No fight needed. That's what the wife's car is for. My leaf needs to make it 3 miles to child care then take dad 25 miles to work, and the reverse in the evening.

mazdaboi said:
I too thought a 3rd Leaf...Wow the tunnel vision we all have here. :lol:
That makes 5 of us. I have heard people call the Leaf their "baby", but apparently you are thinking on a smaller scale. ;)

thankyouOB said:
GetOffYourGas said:

I'm not sure if I follow your train of thought. Yes, keeping my Leaf is probably the biggest concern (worry) that I have. I'm not worried about the extra money it costs, nor am I worried about any lifestyle changes. I happen to love kids and love the idea of having a third. At the same time, I dread the thought of having to give up the Leaf for a minivan. Of course I would if needed, but I thought I'd ping the greater consciousness for ideas on how to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Maybe I won't go looking at used minivans just yet...

Oh, and the video was impressive.

Back