The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Join the club- 2015 S with QC and other things that not really important.

The deal is better than VPP.

Now is time to get a L2 charge cable for home, may be hitch and trunk cover .

Dong,

ccna101 said:
My price is also including an accessory for VIN ID = $189 ?? what is this ? do everyone have this ?

This is for Bay area, CA.
I think I got offered this but declined. It involved having the VIN etched into the windows, supposedly as a theft deterrent. If that's what your line item refers to, you should see the VIN in the windows and, perhaps, elsewhere in the car.

I took the plunge. Although I've been pretty critical of the Leaf, I can't beat the fact that A) I can actually buy one off a lot, and B) There's a free chademo right near work, and C) The local dealer had a pretty awesome lease deal for me ($2399 down $243 a month after tax for a quick charge package S), and D) My MY2015 smart electric drive, ordered last October, won't arrive until September despite being in the United States for nearly three months now.

Here's to hoping that the Lizard battery makes this a stress-free three year lease combined with Ohio climate!
11659270_10106216492037045_2525737455642123212_n.jpg

Drove home in a brand new 2015 SV that I didn't originally intend to buy!

It's plugged into the trickle charger while I wait for the Level 2 charger I ordered to show up.

Brand new owner here, prepare for the wall of text!

Picked up a pearl white 2013 SV with just under 18K miles from a Nissan dealer in Edmonds WA for 13.5K + tax @ 0% interest for 60 months and 0 down. My work commute is 40 or 60 miles (daycare days extend the trip) so 2/3rds of my payment is gonna be made from the gas savings alone. I'm so excited!

It's CPO and has the warranty attached (1 year bumper to bumper, 60K drive train if I remember correctly), but I did buy the extended bumper to bumper 4 year warranty for 1450 as I was worried it is a new car design and I don't know long term reliability (fingers crossed though). $30/month for 48 months seemed like a reasonable cost for the warranty; I can cancel at anytime so I'd be interested to hear opinions from experienced owners. I'm definitely not a warranty guy and I almost never buy them but in this case I felt like there was just too much I didn't know. I do have a great mechanic who passes along his parts discount to me, so I do have a source of reliable/cheap repairs for non-battery related issues (he won't touch the batteries as this is outside his normal job and doesent want the risk). Please feel free to give me your opinion here if I should keep or cancel this coverage.

Only negative was I bought it in Edmonds (10 miles north of Seattle) because it had the right combo of color, price, CPO, 0% interest etc, but I live in Vancouver Washington (about 190 miles to my door). I left the lot without a solid charging plan (dumb), just knowing I was gonna seek out the i-5 rapid chargers. I settled on the Rapid charger off exit 102 in Tumwater as my first charging spot, but fell 5 miles short (dealer rapid then level 2 charged while doing paperwork but it probably only had an 85% charge when I left Edmonds.) So I exited in Lacey right when the car hit very low warning and stopped telling me my range, and the NAV brought me to a charger... but it was a single outlet already being used by a recently purchased light blue Leaf. Que panic.

At this point I'm kinda freaking out because I know there is almost no battery left and I'm not sure if I can make it to another charger. I find one about 1.5 miles away at a Sears and head out driving as slow as possible. I knew there was a "turtle" mode but didn't know the specifics of what it was, so I was worried to say the least.

I made it to sears, but having never charged with Blink, I had to call in for an access code as I didn't have a QR scanner on my phone. My fault for not being better prepared. So 20 minutes later I get it hooked up and we go off to eat a fairly crappy meal at Applebees. 45 Minutes later I have 20ish miles range so we drive to Tumwater to Rapid charge. After Tumwater we go to Castle Rock at exit 49 for another Rapid charge. At this point its 12:30 AM, the wife is not happy, the 3 and 5 year old are not happy trying to sleep in there car seats (second car is an MDX that wife was driving) and I'm trying to reassure here this is the right car for us in addition to the SUV. Good times.

We leave and proceed to our house where we arrive with 20 miles to spare. What a trip. I knew about range anxiety, but to have the car stop telling me an estimated range, 110 miles from home with exactly zero experience finding a charger, 0 experience hooking up to a charger, finding the first charger already in use, and an increasingly worried/angry/annoyed family following in a separate vehicle was an amazing hour 2 experience. I highly recommend it.

Now a few days in the wife likes the go Kart quality of the drive and I get home with about 50 miles from a 100% charge so I'm happy knowing I have lots of extra room in my commute. Gonna do an 80% charge tonight and see where I end up as I obviously want to extend the battery as long as possible.

Sorry for rambling, but just super excited.

Hardfive said:
... right when the car hit very low warning and stopped telling me my range...
If you have a smart device, get LEAF Spy Pro.
With a 2013 you do have a % charge indication.
But you can set the LEAF Spy miles prediction to what you want.
I set mine to go to 1 kWh remaining, and usually to 3.3 miles per kWh efficiency which is easy to obtain.

The LEAF will Turtle at 0.4 kWh remaining.
It will limit motor power to 20 kW.

It will not go far in Turtle.
With my 2011 the high voltage disconnect usually opens at 0.3 kWh remaining.
Lucky to drive 1/3 mile in turtle.
And on steep upgrade, hard to manage 15 mph with 20 kW.

I always wanted a Leaf but just can't afford one until two weeks a go. I picked up a CPO 2012 SL with an extremely low mileage of 1236!!! for only 13.5K with zero down and 3.65% for 4 years. My commute to work is only 50miles round trip and it costing me $225/m in gas with my 1997 Grand Cheroke and now my Leaf payment is less than $300/m! LOVE THIS CAR!!! Although my company doesn't allow me to charge, another company about .25 of a mile a way let me charge for free. They have 10 level 2 charging stations open to the public and free to charge!!! how awesome is that? Now no more gas :D

Having been a serious “car guy” since I was 2 years old, my journey to the Leaf came by way of a test drive in a Tesla P85D. Since birth, I’ve lusted over the typical supercars; Ferrai’s, Pagani’s, McLaren’s. I’ve had some great cars of my own and was always into tuning, tweaking, racing and getting the most out of my car. For decades I had a firm understanding of what a performance car was, until I drove the Tesla. That hour was mind-bending and immediately changed my outlook on what a fast everyday car was supposed to be. Electric power just makes sense and if I had the $120,000 I would have ordered one on the spot, but alas I am not quite that financially blessed yet.

Someday…

mnl_tesla.jpg

Fast forward a few months and I see that there are insane lease deals on new Leafs. Intrigued by the financial side of things I do a test drive and was very pleasantly surprised with the feel of the Leaf. The seamless and usable power and that lovely electric whine were all reminiscent of the Tesla, just dialed back to something that wouldn’t terrify my wife and kids. It was a small car, but also had room for my family of 4. It so happened that my current daily driver, a lovingly tuned BMW M3, was getting to the point in it’s life where things would naturally start to break, and I was not looking forward to the intense costs of that. My wife and I were also spending $250-300/month on gas and we will be able to cut that back to around $50, making the Leaf almost “free.”

So the decision was made. I sold my M3 to a local specialty dealer, went to Nissan and got a great lease deal on a 2015 Leaf S with the quick charge package.

From this:

mnl_emma.jpg

To this (pic taken at one of the most picturesque fill-up stations around):

mnl_baymax.jpg

In less than a week I have completely fallen in love with the Leaf. I am reminded of when I was 16 and tried to come up with any stupid excuse to go run an errand. While not exactly an M3 in terms of handling, the overall feel and usability of the Leaf around town is amazing and it is a joy to drive. Making the little tree “grow” on the display is a source of endless amusement for my kids (and perhaps for me as well) and at those times when it’s the end of the day and range is not a concern, flooring it and hearing that electric whine induces non-stop giggles.

I installed a Clipper Creek LCS-25 and simply plug that into my existing dedicated dryer outlet, which works perfectly. ChargePoint stations are available all around my area and so far we have not come close to running the car down. Being able to plug in at night and know that your car is full every morning is simply awesome. My wife will primarily drive it, shuttling kids and doing errands and it is the perfect vehicle for that. We have a tuned Mazda 5 as well, so longer journeys are not an issue. All in all, even as a hardcore performance car fanatic I could not be happier. The 36 months lease is perfect, as I am confident that battery tech will be much improved in that timeframe and the Tesla I dream about will be more affordable.

The ICE backup:

mnl_mazda.jpg

Everyone that I’ve talked to has a (usually negative) mental picture of what an electric car is like, but once they ride in the Leaf their reaction is “THIS IS AWESOME I WANT ONE.” I suspect that in 5 years time it won’t be “weird” to have an EV, and when my kids are parents they will look on gas-powered cars with the same bemusement as we do on a steam-powered car from the 1900’s.

While not perfect, the Leaf is an amazing little vehicle and I’m pleased to be on the forefront of the EV wave.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Great story, xmetal! I feel like I was just reading my own thoughts.

Didn't take you long to do some mods to the Leaf. :twisted: :ugeek:

Haha, yes some custom decals were required by the wife the day we picked it up, and the wheels waited an entire day (plastidip is fantastic stuff). :lol:

Howdy everyone!

Just wanted to post here and say "hello" and that my wife and I are new Leaf owners!!!

We were able to get a 2012 SL last Saturday, and we absolutely love it! We were able to negotiate the price to $13400 out the door: tax, title and all with the remaining 7 year warranty and ECP total protection. Paid for it in cash, and drove off the lot with my first new car purchase since 1998.

The feeling of never going to get gas again is so liberating. I got SO tired of the gas companies jacking the price 25-30 cents overnight on us periodically with absolutely zero justification (relatively speaking).

Unfortunately, the Leaf had a small dent in the roof directly above the psgr window, and it was in a "hard" or "not hollow" area, so we had to take it back to the dealership to have it properly taken care of. I cannot really complain so far; the dealer gave us a very nice Nissan Versa as a loaner as well as zero charge to fix the dent in the Leaf. All we have to pay for is gas in the loaner - no complaints there! Just miss my Leaf already :(.

Anyways, great to be here. I've lurked for only a week or so and tried to absorb everything like a sponge. Hope to make some new friends here and learn a whole lot about the Leaf and all aspects of ownership!!

Nice, I like that red color a lot. I'm curious, how is the battery health of the car, being a 2012 in Ohio? I had looked at a number of used Leafs (or is it Leaves?) online but was always hesitant about how many bars they might still have after a few years time.

So far, my Leaf has all its bars. I have been able to go nearly 90+ miles without even coming close to needing a re-charge. It is all about staying between 30-40mph, coasting the hills, riding the momentum up hills, and being very liberal with your regen braking. I absolutely love this little vehicle so far. Got my WeatherTech floor mats in this weekend. Waiting on custom fit dashcover, center armrest cover, sunshade, and CalTrend seat covers all coming in.

I'm taking good care of this lil' car.

Just retired from 13 years of driving my 2001 BMW Z-3 with 155,000 miles and took delivery of a 2013 Silver SL. Loving it, but it's not quite as snappy as the first "Z".

Loving the technology, and the ride is a LOT more comfortable. I'm a professor, and my college has four Level 2 chargers that get NO USE. So I have free ground level reserved garage parking every day while the college pays for my charge.

What a life!
Ray
Charleston, SC

b3fa6n.jpg

Just joined last few days and received my Leaf yesterday (Aug 7,2015) from our local Nissan dealer Niagara falls Nissan, Niagara Falls Ontario Canada. It is a used 2011leaf SV. Love it so far. Easy to drive and very comfortable inside. Still trying to figure out all the menus etc on the Nav panel. The battery seems okay now but I will keep an eye on it. It will be used for short trips to work. Charged it up last night using the factory supplied 220volt charger. it seemed okay for now.

2002hummer said:
Just joined last few days and received my Leaf yesterday (Aug 7,2015) from our local Nissan dealer Niagara falls Nissan, Niagara Falls Ontario Canada. It is a used 2011leaf SV. Love it so far. Easy to drive and very comfortable inside. Still trying to figure out all the menus etc on the Nav panel. The battery seems okay now but I will keep an eye on it. It will be used for short trips to work. Charged it up last night using the factory supplied 220volt charger. it seemed okay for now.

Did you mean 120 volt? Or are regular Canadian outlets 240 volts like the UK? Using the U.S. Factory supplied EVSE on 240 without a modification by EVSE Upgrade will kill it.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
2002hummer said:

Did you mean 120 volt? Or are regular Canadian outlets 240 volts like the UK? Using the U.S. Factory supplied EVSE on 240 without a modification by EVSE Upgrade will kill it.

Canada is 120 volts just like the US, and yes an unmodified OEM EVSE from a North American-market Leaf that is plugged into a 240 volt outlet via an adapter (or cutting off the plug and attaching a 240 volt one) will get fried. Nissan is also wise to this practice and if you complain that it suddenly stopped working, their techs are instructed to disassemble the EVSE to look for telltale signs of this.

Hi all,

I just purchased a 2012 SL Pearl White....with just over 17k miles on it...it is in perfect shape....however missing 2 bars on the battery life meter......after full charge the guess o meter says 75 miles but quickly drops to mid 60's.
It is our second car (2014 Juke S) and living in Las Vegas we have a lot of free charging stations and Solar on our home. I just picked up a used Chargepoint CT500 level 2 charger....will install next week.
OH BTW out the door with tax and all at $13,100..... Not too bad with a car that still has warranty and no fuel costs.

New owner here. It's a 2013 Nissan Leaf S with the quick charge package. Total cost after tax etc was $12,850.

Back