The Most Obscure Leaf Facts - WAY Out There

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
I'll go with my 1st observation. When in reverse, the speedometer tells you how fast you're going. Yet even in reverse, the readout is a positive number. Anyone else have bizarre Leaf observations ?

Byproduct of using a ABS sensors to read speed. All the speedo knows is that the tire is moving. Same signal in forward or reverse.

Here's one (I hope no one has to go into a techy explaination ... it detracts from the fun factor :D ) I noticed yesterday. You can take your fob out of the car and lock it with the other fob still in the car. But you CAN'T lock the car if just the ONE fob is with you, and you leave IT in the car. Strange but true.
:eek:

ok ... if someone's truely chomping at the bit to explain it ... you have permission
:lol:

If you stand just outside the opening left by the open driver's door (with the fob and other keys in your right pocket), and are trying to show somebody sitting in the driver's seat how to start the LEAF: foot on brake, push Start ... the car will/did not "start" (turn ON).

Move the fob from your pocket to inside near the shifter mushroom, and it Starts just fine.

Would it work if the fob was in a purse in the back seat area or floor, ... or in the cargo area?

How close does the fob need to be, and to what, to get the car to turn ON?

From another post;

Yep, you too can keep your backup camera displayed for your whole trip!

1) Go into navigation system diagnostics (turn off radio, press Map three times, Radio Power two times, Map once).
2) Select Confirmation/Adjustment.
3) Select Camera.
4) Select Correct Draw Line of Rear view Camera.
5) Drive!
6) Press Back when you're done goofing around!

rawhog ... how's that Vacaville quick charger doing ... still closed down for cert's ??
Now THERE's an obscure fact . . . . there's hundred and hundreds of Leafs per each quick charger made/running.
:(

daniel said:
I don't think I've ever looked at the speedometer in a car while backing up. I'm always looking backwards.

This begs the question..... just what is the max speed while driving backwards ??

ICE cars use a low gear when in reverse.

Since the same gearing paradigm isn't used in the Leaf, can we go 92 mph in reverse?

GroundLoop said:
When I park a V6 in my garage, the heat saturation from the warm engine would fill the garage and spike the temperature.
The garage would stay hot all evening.

When I park the LEAF, it's still 'cool'. Even the smell is notably different. The garage used to smell like hot steel, motor oil, and unburnt fuel.
Gradually, it's smelling like steel, brakes, and maybe new-computer smell.
This alone will save me huge on my electric to air condition the house in summer. V-6 is nothing compared to the heat of a V-8 truck.

AmarilloLeaf said:
ICE cars use a low gear when in reverse.

Since the same gearing paradigm isn't used in the Leaf, can we go 92 mph in reverse?
The drive train would be physically capable of going 92 mph in reverse, since the computer simply runs the motor backwards. But knowing that a few nut jobs would race each other in reverse on city streets and run down pedestrians, the engineers wisely programmed the computer to not allow it.

hill said:
Here's one (I hope no one has to go into a techy explaination ... it detracts from the fun factor :D ) I noticed yesterday. You can take your fob out of the car and lock it with the other fob still in the car. But you CAN'T lock the car if just the ONE fob is with you, and you leave IT in the car. Strange but true.
:eek:

ok ... if someone's truely chomping at the bit to explain it ... you have permission
:lol:

simply wonderful! noticed that issue a while back since SO carries the other key and once exited vehicle and noticed car on, but no beeping due to other FOB still being in car. she takes purse EVERYWHERE but rarely carries it into anyplace.

much different than that aluminum foil Prius options!!

GroundLoop said:
When I park a V6 in my garage, the heat saturation from the warm engine would fill the garage and spike the temperature.
The garage would stay hot all evening.

When I park the LEAF, it's still 'cool'. Even the smell is notably different. The garage used to smell like hot steel, motor oil, and unburnt fuel.
Gradually, it's smelling like steel, brakes, and maybe new-computer smell.

This sure is the most expensive computer I've ever bought. Oh, and you can drive it! :)

There's a blanking plate for a traditional keylock/ignition barrel on the steering column. The column was obviously a parts-bin pickup from something like the Versa. Later models of the Altima also have an electronic key but no plug/cutout for an ignition key barrel on the steering column.

I haven't pulled it off to see what's hidden behind it.

jcesare said:
No ashtray.

Someone tweeted that they were glad that they could smoke while they were charging their Leaf, unlike in their gas car where no smoking is allowed during refueling. So much for "zero emissions"...

Back