The Most Obscure Leaf Facts - WAY Out There

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
I've experienced both, and RF burns as well.
I only got a nip off the RF once, but another engineer I used to work with at a particular AM station got it several times. His RF burns were always accompanied by the smell of burning flesh...

That's where I got mine, a 10Kw AM radio station where I was working as an engineer during summer vacation. Someone ignored the lockout tag and energized the directional coupler I was working on... And yes, there IS a strong smell of burning flesh!

tps said:
mogur said:
I've experienced both, and RF burns as well.
I only got a nip off the RF once, but another engineer I used to work with at a particular AM station got it several times. His RF burns were always accompanied by the smell of burning flesh...

If it wasn't mentioned before... buying a LEAF come with complimentary Nissan Roadside Assistance service 1-877-664-2738 (NO GAS EV). This is not limited to just beyond turtle mode or battery issues. Even if you have a flat tire, you can call them.

You can decline any further coverage on your insurance premiums, or AAA or other warrantees that add-in the roadside assistance services.

I was told by the Nissan dealership that the Leaf is the only car product in their product line that comes with this feature.

Since my AAA coverage will flatbed me to anywhere within 100 miles that I want to go, I think I'll stick with it... The options with the Nissan coverage are far more limited.

mxp said:
You can decline any further coverage on your insurance premiums, or AAA or other warrantees that add-in the roadside assistance services.

mogur said:
Since my AAA coverage will flatbed me to anywhere within 100 miles that I want to go, I think I'll stick with it... The options with the Nissan coverage are far more limited.

mxp said:
besides, aaa covers all your cars, and the only add on is drivers.

mogur said:
May I ask what are the Nissan coverage limitations? And is the coverage for the life of the car? Is it transferable to new owners if you sell it?

From page 30 of the 2011 LEAF Warranty Information Booklet:
Roadside Assistance will arrange to transport the vehicle to the nearest Nissan LEAF certified dealer.
There is additional coverage for meals, lodging, etc. "If you experience a mechanical breakdown more than 100 miles from your primary residence." I've assumed that will rarely if ever apply to me. As to who and how long:
Roadside Assistance is provided for all Nissan LEAF vehicles from the date the vehicle is delivered to the first retail buyer or otherwise put into use, whichever is earlier, for a period of 36 months/unlimited mileage.

Roadside Assistance is available to anyone operating the Nissan LEAF vehicle with the authorization of the owner. (For purpose of Roadside Assistance benefits, "owner" includes the lessee of a leased vehicle.) These services are transferable with the resale of the vehicle for the time remaining on the original Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period. Roadside Assistance is available throughout the lower 48 States and Hawaii.
Ray

Here's an obscurity I noticed recently - if you're backing up and your are on a down hill slope ... and you're in neutral ... and you're (apparently) picking up too much reverse speed in neutral (seems to be around 8mpg-11mph) ... your leaf's system will suddenly cause the car to lurch to a slower speed!
kinda cool . . . only thing is, what if I WANT to do 20mph in reverse / neutral?!?
guess I gotta be in reverse gear (so to speak)
:D

I have been suspecting this for some time and tested it today out of curiosity.
I can't get Leaf to read 1 mph. It always skips from 0 to 2 or 2 to 0.

garygid said:
Probably because it adds at least 1.0 mph to always read high, and it also rounds up.
Then, 0 is 0 but 0.1 + 1.0 = 1.1 rounded up = 2 mph?

I've also noticed that the speedometer is a faster speed than those roadside radar displays flash at me. I haven't measured the speed with GPS yet.

I suspect that every auto I've ever owed has the speed slightly higher, both to protect the company:

"I crashed because the turn said 30mph was safe, so I drove the indicated 30mph, only to find <gasp> that the speedometer was wrong.... I was really going 31 mph... OMG!!"

I can't imagine that every tire can retain its exact circumference through heating and cooling, and zero RPM and whatever RPM makes a car go fast (virtually all cars measure speed from the tire rotation). Measure speed by GPS is not a great plan since I'd be driving 0 mph every time I drove through a tunnel, or city with tall skyscrapers, or inside a parking garage, etc.

A good portion of those radar speed displays have not been properly programmed for cosine error (the fact that they are not looking head-on to the vehicle) in which case they will read lower than the actual speed.

TonyWilliams said:
I've also noticed that the speedometer is a faster speed than those roadside radar displays flash at me. I haven't measured the speed with GPS yet.

A couple of months ago I used my stopwatch and the mile markers on the side of the freeway and set the cruise control to 60mph and it took between 62 or 63 seconds to travel each mile (give or take). So yes the speedometer is reading higher than our actual speed.

TonyWilliams said:
I haven't measured the speed with GPS yet.

I did and at 45 it was 44. I've only had ONE car out of 8 that had an accurate speedo/odo and that was a VW Rabbit with a VDO gauge.

That's pretty darn accurate (and within rounding error) considering the tire variables involved. Of course, as the tires wear, the vehicle speedometer error will increase due to the smaller circumference...

LEAFfan said:
I did and at 45 it was 44. I've only had ONE car out of 8 that had an accurate speedo/odo and that was a VW Rabbit with a VDO gauge.

I think you can adjust the speedo by going into the menu where the previous post (page 3) talked about displaying your backup camera while you drive. I tried it and I saw a speedometer adjustment. Mine also drives at 1 or 2 mi/hr faster than what its really going (measured at around 45 mph). checked with both street radars and my Garmin GPS.

Car speedometers are reuired by law or standards (I believe) to never (under normal conditions) read low. So, most cars have an internal "speed", but they usually display about 1% to 2% higher to the driver.

Yesterday put my new Leaf in neutral while driving down a fairly good sized hill -- stepped on the brake (no regen braking in neutral) and WOW are those service brakes touchy!! Worked OK but totally unexpected -- the regen brakes work sooo nicely.

Try it!

vin944 said:
I think you can adjust the speedo by going into the menu where the previous post (page 3) talked about displaying your backup camera while you drive. I tried it and I saw a speedometer adjustment. Mine also drives at 1 or 2 mi/hr faster than what its really going (measured at around 45 mph). checked with both street radars and my Garmin GPS.

I think that may only adjust the GPS' idea of speed.
I tried adjusting it while driving and it seemed to have no affect on the center dashboard speed readout.

hill said:
jcesare said:
No ashtray.
NO coin changer either.
No handle (presumably for aiding in entry/exiting car) above driver's ceiling ... just on the passenger's side.

EDIT:
There actually IS a dent in the ceiling upholstery where the driver's handle would go/could go. I'm guessing that's where the passenger handle goes on the right handed driver's model. I'd think they'd put one on BOTH sides, as I often see weak/old people using the handles to help lift their self in/out of cars.

Mine has a handle on the driver's side. Yours doesn't?

Back