The Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Trivia Game

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theothertom said:
LeftieBiker said:
Now, how about the actual first modern-day hybrid...?
Toyota Prius?

Nope.

511ajyl6zBL.jpg

Nope. Interestingly, I'm now reading two different descriptions of the car. Some sources - including a convincing development video, describe it as an EV. I think that a second version was then developed (probably for 1980) that added an ICE and made it a hybrid. I'll do a little more digging while you keep guessing. Remember, you can search it now.

Here is the ETV-1, which I swear I read described at one site (that I can't find again) as a "hybrid" with a 40HP ICE & xxHP electric motor, and produced by GE. Now the original Chrysler prototype with GE motor controller is the only version I can find...making the Briggs & Stratton hybrid above the correct answer to this trivia question.

https://electriccarsreport.com/2015/05/the-1979-etv-1-electric-car-prototype-videos/

The ETV-1 ended up on Ebay:

https://www2.greencarreports.com/ne...r-electric-test-vehicle-1-up-for-sale-on-ebay

1970-chrysler-electric-test-vehicle-1-for-sale-on-ebay-image-ebay-motors_100454446_l.jpg

I was despairing of ever finding another vehicle trivia question to top the Briggs & Stratton hybrid car, but I believe I've come close. This car was developed by an American manufacturer as a dedicated EV prototype. It had regenerative braking, an advanced battery, and a range roughly double that of the Gen I Nissan Leaf! Name the car and the company. Once again, existing knowledge first, then if no one guesses or knows it, you can search the Internet. If no one gets it then, I'll give a clue.

2k1YLWjm.jpg

It looks like we have a winner already, but they want to see more guesses. That's fine with me. Another clue is that the (BIG) clue is already in the first post.

91040 said:
Hope this is correct for closure- AMC Amitron

You are correct, along with WetEV - except maybe for the spelling. This car highlighted one of the lesser discussed problems with EV development: they got batteries that worked well, but that cost far too much to make the car build-able. Imagine a 150 mile range, 50 years ago!

Back