The battery replacement/buyback thread.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect Nissan in North America is just wanting to get rid of the liability and that is why the buyback for the most part.

5 weeks after we purchased our 2016 SL in October 2919 triggered the battery warranty at 25 K miles. Way back then there was some talk of a buyback and I checked with the national leaf rep and she said no. And they got me there 40 kilowatt hour new battery which is holding up well. SOH is now 90.92% as of three weeks ago. I topped off the charge today since the wife is driving it work tomorrow due to our schedules being different tomorrow.

Our kids now live 250 and 500 miles from home. We got our 2023 Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Long Range 20 January 2023 and it now has over 20,000 mi on it. FSD is used daily. Since we only have $13.5K in our 2016 Leaf SL and the GOM still reads 150 miles in the summer with only 45K miles and the battery health is stable we're keeping it for a backup. Other than the battery dying at 25,000 mi, our leaf is just as nice of a car ast was back in 2016 for the most part. Too bad it took Nissan to 2018 to get the battery right.

I believe the replacement batteries still carry some warranty so they need to make sure it meets spec and is done by Nissan techs. They also want to make sure you actually get the battery replaced and don't just pocket the money like someone involved in a minor fender bender that doesn't actually get the body work repaired.
Thank you,

That makes sense. In my case I’ll try to hold out for a battery from Nissan and then swap it for value with the aftermarket seller. I also have a second warranty since I bought used, and will apply the aftermarket warranty claim amount to purchase power for the upgraded warranty.

I am having a hard time understanding why Nissan is able to be buying back cars with defective batteries, when the battery has a cash value, and the car is owned by the customer. Why isn’t there a precedent class action case yet, wherein the group sues to keep their cars and be reimbursed for the cost of a new battery in lieu of an extended or denied replacement by Nissan?

Got my first offer back which was only $10k after knocking off $14k for usage. Have a 2017 30kWh SL that was bought new for $37k with about 38k miles today. I think they used the (miles/100k) * purchase price usage deduction formula.
Seems absurd to assume the useful life is only 100k miles.

We are going to argue for a better offer for a few reasons:
  1. CO lemon law states they need to include registration costs which we estimate to be $3300 in total so far.
  2. A comparable vehicle at the dealership we are working with is $22k. The law says if they replace your vehicle it has to be comparable. I take that to meaning similar features like the 360 camera, heated steering wheel, navigation and Bose sound system with similar range to what we would have with at least a 9 bar battery. This basically means only a 1st Gen 30kWh SL with at least 9 bars which are near impossible to find or a 2nd Gen SL Leaf which are $20k+ locally.
If they don't at least give us over $20k, we are going to grill them more on the usage deduction considering others are only reporting a few thousand for similar miles. AZ lemon law doesn't appear to list a specific usage deduction formula so it seems different agents are using different methods. I'd be fine with the $0.10/mile which would be about $3800 in our case. Will report back when I hear what they counter with.
Wikipedia estimates the cost of battery replacement for a 2017 Leaf is $12,000. Keep in mind that is what you are entitled to, plus the value of the rest of the car. If you can afford to hold out for a battery, do it. This considerably more than they are offering you.

Just help me understand.... this is only for people still under the 5y warranty.... My 9yo 2015 SV is not covered for battery replacement?

I hope my 10 bars holds out... I am still about 80 miles (summer surface streets). Less freeway and winter. At this rate I estimate this car will be of use to me for another 9 yrs of batter degrades in a linear fashion.

Just help me understand.... this is only for people still under the 5y warranty.... My 9yo 2015 SV is not covered for battery replacement?

When the 30kWh battery was introduced in 2016, Nissan gave two warranties on the battery (both for 8yrs/100k miles in the US). They warranted against battery failure (like bad cells), but also warranted against loss of capacity (under 9 bars).

Your 24kWh battery would have had the battery failure warranty but not the loss of capacity warranty.

Here is how my buyback has played out.
2016 Leaf with 30kWhr battery purchased June 2016 in Colorado.
Battery failed Dec 2022 with 42,729 miles.
I was given a rental Leaf to drive for free until now (Dec 2023).

Initial buyback offer on Dec 18 2023 was;
1703209387985.png

The usage was calculated as (odometer mileage at time of failure)/100,000 miles x Cash Price.

I asked for the usage to be lowered to 50%. I gave two "reasons" although from what I'm reading I probably didn't need to.
Reason 1: I bought winter wheels and tires for $1000 which will now be useless to me.
Reason 2: The buyback process has taken so long that I won't be purchasing a replacement electric vehicle until 2024. The federal tax credit on many EV's is going away at the end of 2023. So this represents a $7500 lost opportunity cost.

I got the second offer Dec 21 2023 with the usage fee reduced to half (well, slightly over half for some unknown reason);
1703209575311.png

I am going to accept this offer.

And now for the final accouting which is pretty astounding.
Purchase Price: $35,165.72
Rebates: $4000 from Nissan at POS. $7500 Federal tax credit. $6000 Colorado tax credit.
Net purchase price: $17,665.72
Buyback: $24,582.86
Total cost of ownership to drive a Leaf from Jun 2016 to Dec 2023: NEGATIVE $6,917.14

(okay, not total cost as I'm neglecting registration, tires, 12V battery, washer fluid, AAA membership etc. and the time value of money over 8 years. But you get the idea.)

I'm pretty happy how this turned out!

Waiting on the fourth bar to drop anytime now. Read the last hundred replies and updates. Has anyone asked Nissan to pay them the equivalent price of a battery price so they can purchase their own battery for install? There’s a shop in Oregon that has batteries, and will even retrofit a larger battery into an older Leaf. My plan has been to replace the battery through Nissan and then swap it with that shop and add cash to ‘upgrade’ to a larger capacity (newer battery).

I’m curious if Nissan will buy a battery in cash instead of buying the car back.
I would *THINK* nissan would be okay with a buyback of the buyback -- in other words, from what my friends in the auto sales industry tell me, the car is just going to wholesaled with some sort of impaired title (no double-dipping on the battery warrantee). E.g. the KBB trade-in price is like $5,000; they (Nissan) could let you keep the car (it would probably have to be re-titled), and reduce their buyback price by $5K and everyone would be happy(happier).
That being said, i didn't ask :)

Well I gave in and took the buyback. The 2016 was turned in yesterday. Everything went well with no issues. TBH I don't think that there will be too many more battery replacements. Already found a orange 2021 SL plus at a local dealer. I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Nissan called me and said my new battery is in transit and it should be ready in two weeks or less which would be very fast as I only took it in 2.5 weeks ago

Will update if I get it or don’t

Nissan called me and said my new battery is in transit and it should be ready in two weeks or less which would be very fast as I only took it in 2.5 weeks ago

Will update if I get it or don’t
What year and battery size is your Leaf? Had you done any of the arbitration process to get a buyback offer?

2017 30kw

I am the original buyer and have done no arbitration

It has a dead cell

Located in Ontario Canada
I'm really curious if your replacement actually shows up. I am also located in Ontario and have a 2017 Nissan Leaf, and I have been waiting since Dec 2022 for a replacement and Nissan has been paying out for my rental since then. Please update the group if the replacement actually happens.

I'm really curious if your replacement actually shows up. I am also located in Ontario and have a 2017 Nissan Leaf, and I have been waiting since Dec 2022 for a replacement and Nissan has been paying out for my rental since then. Please update the group if the replacement actually happens.

I am also. I was supposed to go in this week to get recall work done and they cancelled to do it next week with the battery but reading this forum leaves me skeptical the battery will come

Beginning the process on our 2016 Leaf battery replacement - dealer gave me the word yesterday, battery will be replaced under warranty. Boucher Nissan in Waukesha WI has been a great dealer for me since my first 2015 Leaf (totaled in 02/2020 after being hit, 56k miles), purchased 2016 used with 32k miles, now 61k, battery issues started this year.

I'll keep this updated as time goes by, they are telling me 3 - 4 months to get replacement. We pray GOD is be in my corner on this, we are not interested in another car payment now that we are retired. Hoping vehicles last as long as us :)

Has anyone that has already done the surrender for a repurchase agreement had any trouble with them taking money off for excess wear? We have some minor paint scratches and dings that seem to be within normal wear but one of the wheels has a scratch on the rim from sliding in to a curb on an icy road a few years back. Wondering if it's worth trying to replace the wheel or just take the deduction if they bring it up?

My 2016 Leaf is down to eight bars, and otherwise satisfies the conditions on the battery capacity warranty - 100,000 miles and 96 months. I’ve been to two different Nissan dealers, and they both gave me the same story: that they cannot start a warranty claim without a DTC code. Of course, battery capacity degradation doesn’t throw a code.

I’ve been in contact with Nissan consumer affairs for about a month now, and they finally admitted the car is eligible for a warranty repair, but don’t yet have any answer on how that might be accomplished. Consumer Affairs says they are still working with their support and the dealer to figure out how to handle the problem.

It sounds like most other folks have no problem walking into a dealer and starting the warranty repair process. Do I need to try a third dealer?

Last edited:
Either you have dealers who don't understand the difference between the capacity warranty and the defect warranty, or they are - illegally - ignoring the warranty coverage. One thing: Have you had the BMS update done? because that temporarily restores one or more capacity bars, and delays the process until that fourth bar drops again...

I believe I have had the BMS firmware update, but I don’t have the car available right now to check. I know they have done at least one firmware update on the car, but I didn’t pay close attention to what was updated.

Sounds like you got a value you could live with, any details? Miles, how close to your original purchase price, amount? Any success with negotiation?
TBH I think I got a good deal. No complaints. It took awhile. Maybe that's why I went for it. It just wasn't working out waiting for the battery. I got money back. If I feel I got a decent deal I don't negotiate. I'm just wired that way I suppose.

Drove the new to me 2022 SL+ yesterday. I think its an evolution of the leaf.
I test drove a Bolt. It's too small for me. I would of wound up hating it due to the seats.

Back