Test my OpenEVSE FW Ver 1.6.2 with RTC and Delay Timers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I was thinking of an OpenEVSE install for non-programmers and once installed, a simple user interface for anyone to use without instructions.

Hrm, what's not simple enough with the current interface? It only takes a programmer to customize it beyond what is there now. I read you don't want to have access to any interface so you can use the serial command line interface to set up the EVSE once and everything else should be transparent to the user.

goldserve said:
Added a video tour of the new menus for FW version 1.6.0

Video looks great, I have an RGB LCD wired up ready to test and the parts for the combo RGB LCD plus RTC are on the way. I'll send you one when they arrive.

Any news on pushing the source code to github or releasing it on your page? Just a friendly reminder the OpenEVSE source code was released as "Open Source" and is licensed under the GPLv3. To comply with both the spirit of Open Source Software and the OpenEVSE license the source code for your modifications need to be released.

I'm still in the process of cleaning it up and adding #ifdefs around the new areas but unfortunately I touched a lot of code which is taking me longer. By the end of this week, I should have the code somewhere.

I don't know how to edit the google openEVSE site that you have but if you could help me transfer some pictures, video over as one of your sub pages, it would be highly appreciated :)

Thanks!

goldserve said:
Hrm, what's not simple enough with the current interface? It only takes a programmer to customize it beyond what is there now. I read you don't want to have access to any interface so you can use the serial command line interface to set up the EVSE once and everything else should be transparent to the user.

The serial command line interface requires a PC, while the backpack button requires none. I was thinking about one button on the LCD backpack for installation setup, and another button on the outside of the panel for user programming features (start/stop/timed, clock set, start/stop times).

The setup option for external button idea would be for OpenEVSE builds that have either no LCD display or with no external button.

It's going to be hard to know the status of the EVSE and especially programming start/stop times without an external button but no LCD. Free free to make what ever changes that suit you after I release the source code. Right now, there is not enough space on the microcontroller to get any more fancy unless we compiled out the CLI interface.

Timed charging can usually be done via the EV's on-board computer using dashboard touch display or via smartphone, so not all OpenEVSE builds will need a display, RTC, or timer function.

Yes, but why are you replying in this thread that is for EVSE with RTC and Delay Timers? :) FW version 1.0.0 will fit your needs nicely!

My leaf supports timers but it is annoying as heck to turn on the car, wait for the lcd screen, enable/disable. At times, i've left the timers enabled and parked at work, forgot to disable the timers and paid money to Chargepoint for not doing any charging at all. I want to be able to leave the car to always accept a charge and have the timers controlled only at my residence.

The Tesla Model S also does not have timers yet... I'm sure it's coming eventually.
Right now timers in the EVSE is the only way to get delayed charging working.

Don't have one yet to test. :( on the other hand, it works beautifully. I've charged my car for two days now and it is on queue. I would like lower drift though because the temp can vary in the garage over the year.

I downloaded your source. After adding the 2 needed libraries and renaming the file to .pde, It compiled fine on Arduino 0023.

It would be nice to include the hex file as well. This is the case for lincomatic's stuff.

GlennD said:
I downloaded your source. After adding the 2 needed libraries and renaming the file to .pde, It compiled fine on Arduino 0023.

It would be nice to include the hex file as well. This is the case for lincomatic's stuff.

I just added all hex file variants and they are uploaded to the same sky drive folder.

Granted a more accurate clock at minimal added cost is nice but considering you change the time at least twice a year, the existing one is fine. The leaf timer is much more course! It matters not if it varies even several minutes.

GlennD said:
Granted a more accurate clock at minimal added cost is nice but considering you change the time at least twice a year, the existing one is fine. The leaf timer is much more course! It matters not if it varies even several minutes.

The RGB LCD backpack/RTC board Chris designed use the more accurate clock chip with less drift, the less expensive clock drifts +/- 12 minutes per year. The registers are supposed to be nearly identical, so it's likely the code will work with it. With an RF/WiFi link, you can update from a local NTP server on your LAN as well that's Internet connected to time servers. We are just out of space for many bells & whistles like that, might have to move the chip up to one with more memory, or use a "SOC" (System On Chip) type system, like a Rasberry Pi (which give you quite a bit for $35, but no RTC still)

Yup, I can't wait for Chris to send me one of those backpacks to try out.

I agree with you. There is so much more we can do in terms of wifi, ethernet home integration but we've run out of space. We would need to step up to one of the atmel ARM SOCs or a full blown one that runs a linux variant like the raspberry pi.

Back