Terminology protest

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITestStuff said:
Some people need to get off their high horse and deal with it. :roll:

USB Flash drive - Commonly referred to as "a USB"
Bluetooth headset - Commonly referred to as "my Bluetooth"

The terminology doesn't matter here. People will call it whatever makes sense.

99% of people don't know what an EVSE is. Think about how many more people have used USB for other peripherals besides a flash drive, yet they still refer to the drive as their USB.

The battle is over and EVSE already lost. If you want things to be easier next time, make sure a marketing person is involved in the discussions before finalizing terminology. (Normally those folks are pretty useless, but this is a place where they could help)

And for those of you that are overly aggressive in correcting the use of the terminology - Stop being a-holes. You're scaring away people that are interested in the cars.

Who is battling for EVSE? Next time you go to say best Buy ask them for a USB, when they ask what kind say "USB"! I'm sure you will get the right part.

It is difficult to have a useful or educational discussion about technical aspects of EVs if one isn't using the correct terminology. I've sometimes found myself puzzled by a question from a newcomer because the mangled jargon hid the source of confusion. Witness the common question about whether buying the faster charger will speed up charging at 120 Volts. The idea that it is the charger on the car that limits the charge rate at Level 1 voltages, not the "charger" on wall, needs to be taught. As does the difference between "Quick Charging" and Level 2 charging. And it helps to speak the same language.

So far as the 110/120, 220/240 voltage difference goes, I will point out that when calculating charge rates and times it matters what numbers one uses. I don't expect most new LEAF drivers to know that Volts x Amps = Watts, or to know the difference between kilowatts (kW) and kilowatt•hours (kWh), but if they hang around here they might eventually learn, if they so desire. And, again, it helps to speak the same language.

ITestStuff said:
...And for those of you that are overly aggressive in correcting the use of the terminology - Stop being a-holes. You're scaring away people that are interested in the cars.
Let's not descend into name calling, eh? I assure you it does nothing to further your point.

ITestStuff said:
dgpcolorado said:
It is difficult to have a useful or educational discussion about technical aspects of EVs if one isn't using the correct terminology.
You need to learn to adapt.
Nope, you're simply wrong. I've watched many a thread descend into chaos because three different people are answering a question in three different ways because nobody really understood the real question because of bad terminology. It's much simpler to firmly, but politely, educate the questioner on the correct terminology.

johnrhansen said:
I'm involved in aviation, so I'm very aware of how important terminology is and how it's futile to try to change something that is already rolling, but I just wanted an opportunity to vent. I'll fall in line now :(

Then you're probably familiar with the differences between magnetos, generators, and alternators. All of which terms were mistakenly used interchangeably over the years as technology moved along. There's nothing particularly difficult in the concept of an EVSE. If the technology sticks around long enough and EVs become more than the rare curiosity, people will adapt to the lingo.

davewill said:
ITestStuff said:
dgpcolorado said:
It is difficult to have a useful or educational discussion about technical aspects of EVs if one isn't using the correct terminology.
You need to learn to adapt.
Nope, you're simply wrong. I've watched many a thread descend into chaos because three different people are answering a question in three different ways because nobody really understood the real question because of bad terminology. It's much simpler to firmly, but politely, educate the questioner on the correct terminology.

That happens often here on this very topic.

I wondered why the term charger was incorrect. I only just joined and curiosity hadn't caused me to search too much; now I know that the EVSE is the power delivery device to get power to the onboard charger. I like "charging staton" instead of EVSE and obviously this is better than charger since it's accurate. Maybe "charger connector" for the 120V cord that comes with the car?

I think the deal with 110 vs 120 is that 120 is supposed to be delivered and most devices designed for those systems must be designed to operate properly at 110 V. I know that's why electricity guys talk about 480V systems and HVAC (and other equipment) guys talk about 460V equipment.

I don't think I'd know what someone was talking about if they just said "USB". After all, it could be a USB printer (or cable), etc. I would certainly understand what people meant if they said any number of things like thumb drive, jump drive, flash drive (all of which are ironic, since I believe drive came from the device that "drives" a removable disk, not the disk itself.) and these devices don't have any moving parts (to my knowledge), much less anything to drive them.

Okay, I have to set aside time to get involved in this forum. Time to work now. (First day with Leaf; I had to sign up and at least poke around for a few minutes! :) )

Back