Tell Nissan to open other US markets NOW!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamesanne said:
I am fine waiting. My dash board last said order date fall 2011. From day one Nissan clearly stated their plan for distribution to specific regions and states. I understand the argument here, but at the end of the day, Nissan said fall 2011 and it's not fall 2011 yet.
The complaining in this forum is really getting old.

They said fall 2011 and they are now telling me wait until 2012. And, that could be December for all I know.

Here's my draft letter to go to Ghosn, with copies to Tavares and US Customer Service.

Feedback would be appreciated.

April 20, 2011

It was one year ago today that I placed my reservation for a Nissan Leaf. It’s ironic that exactly one year later, an announcement from Nissan informs me that, not only will I be waiting another year, but others will be able to reserve their Leafs more than a year after me and receive them long before I do. This is totally unacceptable. In fact, it’s unconscionable. Nissan is doing a disservice to potential customers like me who have waited patiently, only to be slapped in the face with this news.

Nissan is alienating the customer base that is not fortunate enough to live in one of the first United States markets. This will result in much negative publicity for Nissan as well as a loss of business. Personally, I’ll be buying from a competitor whose product will likely hit the market before I can even order my Leaf. Even if their product is delayed and more expensive, I won’t be getting a Leaf unless Nissan changes its approach because I wish to deal with a company that treats its customers fairly.

It is unfortunate that Nissan has chosen to turn potential customers like me, who were evangelists for the Leaf, into dissatisfied potential customers who will communicate that dissatisfaction about Nissan as a company for years to come at two to three times the rate that satisfied customers will communicate.

I sincerely hope that Nissan will see the error of its ways and decide to more equitably take orders on a first registered, first served basis.

Please do not tell me that I need to wait for my municipality to establish a charging infrastructure. I don’t need it. Please don’t tell me I need to wait for local dealers to be trained and ready. That’s your problem, not mine. And, please don’t send me a form letter in reply. That will only serve to make me even more dissatisfied.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Bullseye. Your letter echoes the sentiments in mine that I already sent to Nissan. They need to hear from those who were so supportive of their vision that we put down our money from the get go --only to now be leapfrogged.
relytgerg said:
Here's my draft letter to go to Ghosn, with copies to Tavares and US Customer Service.

Feedback would be appreciated.

April 20, 2011

It was one year ago today that I placed my reservation far a Nissan Leaf. It’s ironic that exactly one year later, an announcement from Nissan informs me that, not only will I be waiting another year, but others will be able to reserve their Leafs more than a year after me and receive them long before I do. This is totally unacceptable. In fact, it’s unconscionable. Nissan is doing a disservice to potential customers like me who have waited patiently, only to be slapped in the face with this news.

Nissan is alienating the customer base that is not fortunate enough to live in one of the first United States markets. This will result in much negative publicity for Nissan as well as a loss of business. Personally, I’ll be buying from a competitor whose product will likely hit the market before I can even order my Leaf. Even if their product is delayed and more expensive, I won’t be getting a Leaf unless Nissan changes its approach because I wish to deal with a company that treats its customers fairly.

It is unfortunate that Nissan has chosen to turn potential customers like me, who were evangelists for the Leaf, into dissatisfied potential customers who will communicate that dissatisfaction about Nissan as a company for years to come at two to three times the rate that satisfied customers will communicate.

I sincerely hope that Nissan will see the error of its ways and decide to more equitably take orders on a first registered, first served basis.

Please do not tell me that I need to wait for my municipality to establish a charging infrastructure. I don’t need it. Please don’t tell me I need to wait for local dealers to be trained and ready. That’s your problem, not mine. And, please don’t send me a form letter in reply. That will only serve to make me even more dissatisfied.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

relytgerg said:
Please don’t tell me I need to wait for local dealers to be trained and ready. That’s your problem, not mine.
So you want the dealer to deliver your car not knowing anything about it and if you have a problem during the warranty period to say they don't know how to fix it. Not to egg this on, but could you please draft a letter if you where in either of those situations and post it here. I would absolutely love to read it. You are asking them to create a situation that would be a complete failure. It is their "responsibility" not "problem" to make sure that the cars are properly delivered and supported.

Once again I understand the argument, however in reality there have been enough bumps in the limited roll out. I don't see those getting any better by rapidly expanding the availability of the LEAF. What I read from their statement is that they have excess production capacity and in the current delivery areas additional demand.

relytgerg said:
TRONZ said:
jamesanne said:
The complaining in this forum is really getting old.

I would definitely suggest it is not helping make the roll-out process quicker or smoother.

I agree. Let's start complaining to Nissan.

I would much prefer Nissan singularly focus on making EV's, but I don't have that luxury. Maybe having them constantly answer the phone and mail for American marketing and geography lessons eats up their valuable bandwidth?! Maybe we could take a lesson about waiting in line from the Japanese people?! Their selfless dignity while patiently waiting for food and water should provide some perspective.

Any idea how this revelation effects our eligibility for the federal tax credit? I thought that was limited to the first 200,000 vehicles manufactured. I thought that was why we got in line in the first place, to protect our eligibility for that credit. Aside from taking our rightful turn.

Jim :shock:

I haven't heard anything from Nissan since the Nissan Leaf: Utility Options feb 11 2011. I hold reservation number E0E1E205, reserved on 4/20/2010, one year ago today. My first date for order was spring of 2011. On 12/10/2010 @ 8:55 PM Nissan Leaf sent me a message subject "Nissan LEAF: Order timing update". Which stated "Customers in your state will not be able to order until late summer 2011."

I am willing to wait till the date they indicated, but really feel that Nissan is leaving themselves open for a very large class action suite for breach of contract if they let May 1st second wave people leap frog ahead of those of us waiting patiently. I have every email they have ever sent me, and I do have a valid contract with them, which states I will be able to order my LEAF in the order I placed my deposit. Their act of accepting my 99.00 charge made it a valid contract. So yes, we have a very nice class action suite if we wish to follow through.

jimcmorr said:
Any idea how this revelation effects our eligibility for the federal tax credit? I thought that was limited to the first 200,000 vehicles manufactured.
I suspect all the initial 20,000 registration holders who order will get either MY 2011 or MY 2012 LEAFs, so they'll all be from Oppama. Smyrna will not be online by then, and Oppama simply doesn't have the bandwidth to crank out 200,000 LEAFs that fast, ignoring the fact that they are also selling to countries other than the US. I think those of us reservation holders in the forgotten 36 will be fine, so far as the federal tax rebate goes.

Another year is a long time to for us to keep the excitement alive. One way, however, that has recently become available to some of us is rent a LEAF. I had a nice two hour drive in the Hertz rental LEAF in NYC, and I may do it a few more times before I am able to buy my own LEAF. Actually driving a LEAF is enough to convince me that it's worth waiting for, while at the same time making me want it more badly.

Why anyone gets "in line" is their own reason (ecology, financial, tech, who knows). What people seem to not want to recognize is that they are "in line" in their market, not for the U.S. as a whole. BTW - I believe the 200k number is PER manufacturer. The Federal Tax credit looks safe well after Smyrna comes online.

N952JL said:
My first date for order was spring of 2011. On 12/10/2010 @ 8:55 PM Nissan Leaf sent me a message subject "Nissan LEAF: Order timing update". Which stated "Customers in your state will not be able to order until late summer 2011."
Customers in your state still can't order. What are your damages for your lawsuit?

Breach of contract. Damage could be major if I went out to buy an LEAF on the open market and had to pay more than MSRP. But the big one is getting them on fraud. Entering into a contract that they had no intention of keeping. They should have never let people from outside their target areas reserve a place in line, if they were not going to honor it. And by letting new people leap frog ahead of those already in line, they are proving they did not intend to honor the original reservation.

Why anyone gets "in line" is their own reason (ecology, financial, tech, who knows). What people seem to not want to recognize is that they are "in line" in their market, not for the U.S. as a whole. BTW - I believe the 200k number is PER manufacturer. The Federal Tax credit looks safe well after Smyrna comes online.

That is a very gray area. Thier online reservation did not state "in my state". And in the US the market area is the entire country. There is no "state boundries" for interstate commerse.

N952JL said:
Breach of contract. Damage could be major if I went out to buy an LEAF on the open market and had to pay more than MSRP. But the big one is getting them on fraud. Entering into a contract that they had no intention of keeping. They should have never let people from outside their target areas reserve a place in line, if they were not going to honor it. And by letting new people leap frog ahead of those already in line, they are proving they did not intend to honor the original reservation.

Your spot in the 'reservation' line allows you to order when Nissan says you can. They never entered into any 'contract' with you promising dates, times, or anything other than estimates. Good luck suing and winning on that. :shock:

Many people here feel they were promised specific things. I have yet to see any promises by Nissan.....a lot of 'foreword thinking commentary' but no promises.

N952JL said:
Breach of contract. Damage could be major if I went out to buy an LEAF on the open market and had to pay more than MSRP. But the big one is getting them on fraud. Entering into a contract that they had no intention of keeping. They should have never let people from outside their target areas reserve a place in line, if they were not going to honor it.
If you buy the Leaf on the open market, any extra amount you pay is of your own free will. There is no contract with Nissan about when they will allow you to order. Please take this nonsense somewhere else. If you file a lawsuit--and win--come back and report on it then.

N952JL said:
Get a lawyer, maybe he or she can explain to you what damages and fraud are. I'll watch for your case in the news. I'm still fine waiting, so don't ask me to join the case. I don't feel the need to "get" Nissan.

Fraud? Give me a break. Nissan has been VERY clear that LEAFs would NOT be available in all markets and that everything is subject to change. There are also many (forgotten) threads discussing if people were "promised a car" or just an "opportunity to order". Opportunity to order won. I get it, some people are mad :evil: , disappointed :cry: and shocked :shock: to be reminded they are not in initial launch markets. Its just the reality of the situation.

Had the rollout in the initial states gone smoother I suspect they would be expanding faster, but between the initial car production getting diverted to Japan, then the tsunami, and then the a/c restart issue, I would not be in much of a hurry to expand my market just yet either. If all had gone smoothly, they would have delivered almost all the reservations by now and would probably have been very interested in expanding. I think once the production line is back up to a reasonable speed that they feel they can reliably maintain (I don't know the extent of the issues they must have trying to build cars right now), they will probably start talking about expansion once again, but in the mean time we just need to support Nissan in their effort to get going again after the disaster.

Seems to me that they are expanding their market by opening reservations again in the tier one states. Which is not fair to those of us who have waited patiently (since 04/25/10 for me) for the roll out schedule to roll to our states. Speaking for myself, I feel very disappointed and alienated by this action.

Ya.. I know.. life is not fair so get over it.

I will I just had to get that off my chest.

Jim :(

Back