Tell Nissan to open other US markets NOW!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relytgerg

I found the recent announcement at http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=8999DCD51EEB0029385F4BF76C7539D6?&id=2414 interesting. I'm happy to hear that they'll be increasing the pace of deliveries, especially the part that said "Reservations first will reopen in the launch states of Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington. Individuals who already have registered on the Nissan LEAF website – a group that now totals 340,000 potential owners – will be given the first opportunity to reserve a spot in line to purchase a Nissan LEAF. "

This was a bit unclear to me, though. Do the "individuals who already have registered" include only those in "the launch states" or do they include us in the unwashed masses who continue to wait patiently while Leafs are being delivered to those in the launch markets who registered after us.

A live chat at the Nissan Leaf site did little to clear this up. Here is an extract:

Me: So, if "ordering openings will roll out the same way." Does that mean that starting next month, when you can order is determined simply by when you registered - first come first served, or do the 1st markets still get priority like they have so far?
Christian: For now, it is still a wave where it's available in key market states before the rest.

That sounds like doublespeak for "you're still at the end of the line and will get yours whenever Nissan decides to start the order process for your market."

I would encourage others in the same situation to let Nissan know that we want our Leafs now rather than later and to open up all markets right away.

And, by the way, I don't buy the lack of infrastructure argument. I have all the infrastructure I'll need in my garage already which is a 110V 30A circuit. Since I'll drive just over 20 miles a day that will be more than adequate to recharge my Leaf overnight.

Heck Nissan's own data they just released is that mostly people charge in their garage

we all know thats the case , these chargers getting built are going to sit a lot

I agree tell Nissan how you feel about being passed up as a reservation holder

Whenever I read these posts, all I can think of is GM stating "there is NO demand for electric cars". :roll:

Plan to drive about 70 miles a day (round trip to work). Will charge at home and at work, will use L2 in both places so I do not believe charging infrastructure is an issue in my case (everything already prearranged). In my opinion because this is 100% electric, therefore it can be placed for service anywhere when electricity is available. As far as service go no problem too I can service my car in OK or TX (initial rolling state). As of L3 and long distance travel I will not do it for a sake lower efficiency at high speed and effect on battery life.

More people exposed to EV more will buy them, as simple as that, I believe very good idea to have EV/Leaf drivers in every state ASAP

The missing infrastucture could be trained dealerships

kmp647 said:
Heck Nissan's own data they just released is that mostly people charge in their garage

we all know thats the case , these chargers getting built are going to sit a lot

I agree tell Nissan how you feel about being passed up as a reservation holder

I will paste below my post from the Nissan LEAF Press Release thread about this. I have already written to Nissan, as well as any EV advocates I know who have contacts at their headquarters. To allow new customers to leapfrog us is an epic fail, IMHO.

------------------------------------------

Read 'em and weep:
EV Customer Support is currently busy. Please stand by.

You have been connected to [Nissan Operator].

[Nissan Operator]: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support, my name is [Nissan Operator]. How may I help you today Mark?

ME: Good morning, [Nissan Operator]. I want to ask about the News Release from Nissan today. Apparently, "Reservations first will reopen in the launch states of Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Washington." This is supposed to occur starting May 1. Is that correct?

[Nissan Operator]: YEs Sir, that is correct. I'm excited!

ME: Uh... but Nissan did NOT clarify the situation for those who are already reservation holders in NON-launch states. Can you do so?

[Nissan Operator]: Until the Leaf is available in your state, you will not be able to place an order.

ME: Yes, I've always understood that. However, will these new reservations holders be able to order and take delivery before that happens??? I paid Nissan my deposit one year ago today. Surely you are not going to allow new deposit holders to leapfrog me in line, are you?!

[Nissan Operator]: May I ask what state you live in?

ME: I am in Utah, 10 minutes across the border from Tier 1 Arizona.

[Nissan Operator]: You always have the option to purchases an orphaned Leaf in Arizona from a Nissan Dealer.

ME: An orphaned Leaf? That is my only option? Even though I already paid you my reservation deposit one year ago? And may I ask you to please answer my question: will those May 1 newcomers in "launch states" be able to butt in line ahead of me to order and take delivery of their Leafs --or not?

[Nissan Operator]: If you choose to purchase an orphaned Leaf, you can the cancel your reservation and your money will be credited back to you. I do understand your frustration but only the Tier 1 states, would be able to purchase.

ME: So... the newcomers WILL be able to order ahead of me? Even though I gave you my deposit one year ago?

[Nissan Operator]: Yes sir, that is correct.

ME: As you can well imagine, I am appalled and devastated. I want you to pass my reaction up the executive hierarchy of Nissan as far as it will go: it is unconcienable to allow new customers --no matter where they live-- to leapfrog those of us who already paid you our deposits a year ago. We have been patient and supportive of Nissan, true believers in its vision with the Leaf, and to now be pushed further back in line is ungrateful --and downright rude.

[Nissan Operator]: I do apologize Mr. Larsen and I understand your frustration. I will pass your concerns along. May I have your address, so that I can note your account?

ME: My address is [address given]; my reservation number is CD00D996. I purport that Nissan needs to contact me to personally apologize for how this decision affects me --and all other reservation holders in NON-launch states.

[Nissan Operator]: Once again, I do understand your frustration and I will escalate your concerns. Is there anything else I can help you with, today?

ME: No. You've answered my question. Most discouragingly.

[Nissan Operator]: Please feel free to visit our website often for updates about the Nissan LEAF, and encourage your friends to contact us with their questions as well. Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Customer Support.

Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Still have to wait for support. Have to train the dealers in other states. This ain't your fathers oldsmobile now
so what you saying that Nissan LEAF certified is not necessary train to sell and service Leaf. In fact there are 3 Nissan LEAF certified dealers near my home in OK - Bob Howard, Fenton East and Fenton West

DaveinOlyWA said:
Have to train the dealers in other states. This ain't your fathers oldsmobile now

Not my father's Oldsmobile, and not my problem either. Why did Nissan take my reservation if they are not going to be able to honor it for well over a year, looking like two years now? And why allow latecomers to the party get their Leaf before I get mine?

"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Seriously, I think we need to make some noise and be sure Nissan is hearing us on this issue.

Training is overrated. Just get the cars out. Far faster to catch up than to be prepared.
Besides even if ordering was open today they all would have at least three months before they see car 1.
I agree with the others, roll it out to all areas worldwide.

I suspect one of the reasons why Nissan doesn't want to roll out to the cold weather states just yet is to improve the product for cold weather operation and also to prevent negative media messages with reduced performance in those areas...

Randy said:
I suspect one of the reasons why Nissan doesn't want to roll out to the cold weather states just yet is to improve the product for cold weather operation and also to prevent negative media messages with reduced performance in those areas...

+1

Here's some contact information I was able to quickly obtain off the Internet if anyone wants to use it to voice their frustration:

From NissanUSA.com - United States Consumer Affairs:
Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

From http://www.ceoemail.com - email address for Carlos Ghosn, CEO:
[email protected]

Per the Annual report - postal address:
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
1-1, Takashima 1-chome, Nishi-ku,
Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 220-8686, Japan

Let's let them know how we feel.

Randy said:
Huh. I didn't know Las Vegas was a cold weather area. Nor my community near St. George, UT, with its 59.9° average annual temperature.

relytgerg said:
From http://www.ceoemail.com - email address for Carlos Ghosn, CEO:
[email protected]
I tried writing to Ghosn, but the message bounced back as "undeliverable." Ah well... I did write to Customer Service with the request to pass my feedback up the hierarchy to the executives.

Do you want to know what for me is the most ironic frosting on today's pathetic cake? UPS just dropped off a cash-and-carry EVSE from AeroVironment on my doorstep. :roll:

I agree that waivers can be had.... I am a waiver guy. I have no charger. Had to sign a awaiver just to be able to order a Leaf. So ya. Sign waiver that u accept that the a/c issue u will deal with until a dealer is in your area. For some that means buzzing the state line to get service. For others in the same state that means trucking the car a few hundred miles for service.

Should be some common sense at work here that is not happening

I am fine waiting. My dash board last said order date fall 2011. From day one Nissan clearly stated their plan for distribution to specific regions and states. I understand the argument here, but at the end of the day, Nissan said fall 2011 and it's not fall 2011 yet.
The complaining in this forum is really getting old.

Back