Taste of winter range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 12 volt electric blanket that I got from amazon for the back seats... Plugs into the cig lighter.... works great. everyone fights over getting the blanket!

GetOffYourGas said:
My CMax has rear vents, which really helps keep the kids warm. I wish the Leaf had the same. Oh well. In my case, I'm rarely pushing the limits of the Leaf anyway. And if it's really cold / there is any doubt about range, we'll just take the CMax.

How do u like the cmax? My wife my be in the market for a car soon and we are considering a phev given her 15 mile round trip commute and us already having L2 charging at the house. A 2012ish cmax or volt are on our short list. The cmax energi seems like a good family car.

Also considering an off lease leaf, as she loves driving mine and my buddy can get one at auction for $6k -$7k, but two Bev's might be hard on those rare days we need to go more than 100 miles. Although, at that price, we could just do a rental a few times a year and still come out way ahead.

golfcart said:
GetOffYourGas said:
My CMax has rear vents, which really helps keep the kids warm. I wish the Leaf had the same. Oh well. In my case, I'm rarely pushing the limits of the Leaf anyway. And if it's really cold / there is any doubt about range, we'll just take the CMax.

How do u like the cmax? My wife my be in the market for a car soon and we are considering a phev given her 15 mile round trip commute and us already having L2 charging at the house. A 2012ish cmax or volt are on our short list. The cmax energi seems like a good family car.

Also considering an off lease leaf, as she loves driving mine and my buddy can get one at auction for $6k -$7k, but two Bev's might be hard on those rare days we need to go more than 100 miles. Although, at that price, we could just do a rental a few times a year and still come out way ahead.

The CMax is technically my wife's car, and she absolutely loves it. It has a lot of creature comforts and some great looking (and useful) displays. It is very comfortable for the two of us up front, and two kids in the back. We can comfortably fit a third adult in between the car seats when we need to.

It has a shortish range, but if her commute is 15 miles round trip, she will save a ton of gas with one. It does not run the engine down to about -10F, as long as you keep it in EV Now mode, and don't need a lot of heat (the electric heater is only a 3kW resistence heater, and the car will use the engine for heat below about 15-20F. The front heated seats can get very hot on 5, but are very comfortable on 3. And having a vent directly on the rear seat has been great for keeping the kids warm.

We also use it as our trip car. The trunk is awkward, but if you like Tetris... ;) I highly recommend bringing a few large items when you check out the car. I brought the two largest suitcase we own, and our cooler. They all fit with room to spare, so I was content that it would be enough for our needs. We also have a Thule roof box which we use for vacations and such.

GetOffYourGas said:
The CMax is technically my wife's car, and she absolutely loves it. It has a lot of creature comforts and some great looking (and useful) displays. It is very comfortable for the two of us up front, and two kids in the back. We can comfortably fit a third adult in between the car seats when we need to.

It has a shortish range, but if her commute is 15 miles round trip, she will save a ton of gas with one. It does not run the engine down to about -10F, as long as you keep it in EV Now mode, and don't need a lot of heat (the electric heater is only a 3kW resistence heater, and the car will use the engine for heat below about 15-20F. The front heated seats can get very hot on 5, but are very comfortable on 3. And having a vent directly on the rear seat has been great for keeping the kids warm.

No worries about -10F down here, I think I've seen single digits a few times but typically we don't get below +20F on the coldest winter night most years. With her current ICE vehicle she is usually at daycare dropping my kid off before the heat even starts working so a resistance heater might actually be better in that sense. It'd be her commuter and our primary long range car like you said yours is... so it sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well. Thanks for the info, we'll definitely keep it on the short list.

Back