Supposed Software Enhancement--Total FAIL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure he has already seen - or at least heard about - this thread...

mwalsh said:
Somebody who's a FB friend with Paul Scott should post on his wall and ask him why his dealership is virus infecting LEAFs! :D
No, I'm NOT going to do it, before you even ask! :lol:

Rather than complain through a salesman or sales manager who probably has limited if any influence over the service department, why not Tweet the complaint directly with the dealership?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NissanDwntwnLA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't buy the virus bit, but rather they screwed up the procedure and bricked a module during the reprogram. My car had this happen when I had Nissan send out a special tech, the previous software update hadn't taken correctly (I was getting a random occasional yellow warning light with nothing associated with it). When they tried doing it again the power allegedly went out and while they didn't admit it they did brick the car, or at least I assumed considering I got to keep the loaner for the night. The next day they were able to get a higher up technician to remote in the Consultant module, pull and re-apply 12v power and eventually it took.

Carlos Ghosn: Note to self - do not hire any more people with Microsoft Windows ME credits on their resume...

Only in LA!! Just called Downtown LA nissan and they said they have been having "problems" with the latest software upgrade. I already got the letter and was wanting to upgrade. I asked if it was at all the dealerships and he did not seem to know, only that they are waiting for a new software package from nissan.

^ Seems odd. I'm pretty sure I was the first LEAF to get P3227 at the dealer I use. The tech had no problems with it and did an earlier update while he was at it (I spoke to him at length and got to show him my Leaf DD in action).

I wonder if Downtown LA Nissan is having connectivity problems of some sort?

did they give you a loaner?

i usually get one at pacific in hawthorne. those nissan ICEs do not make my heart beat fast, though.

from what i read here in other threads about the upgrade, i was underwhelmed. it seemed to mean you had to relearn what the dashboard is telling you, as it had its own set of presumptions, just as with the first software.

dgpcolorado said:
^ Seems odd. I'm pretty sure I was the first LEAF to get P3227 at the dealer I use. The tech had no problems with it and did an earlier update while he was at it (I spoke to him at length and got to show him my Leaf DD in action).

I wonder if Downtown LA Nissan is having connectivity problems of some sort?

Yeah I'm surprised as well. As I mentioned earlier, my own Leaf got its update at DTLA Motors right before this thread was created, and it was fine. Perhaps their own machines really were affected by a virus some time after my visit.

An owner went in to have an error code checked, and the dealer
apparently did the recent upgrade, without asking the owner.

Upon driving away, the Grabby Brakes are back, that (mostly)
went away with an update roughly last March.

Anyone else experience this situation - of Gabby Brakes reappearing?

The car is in, at a different dealer, this morning to find the problem.

OK, I finally got my Leaf back--it took 14 days in total. They are sticking to their story about the "virus" but this time they indicated that the computer that they store the update on had the virus and not the update itself. Anyway, new module installed, everything back to normal, although I now top out at just over 100 miles on a full charge--I used to top out close to 120. They also completed my two year checkup (rotated the tires and washed the car) at no charge. Happy to have the car back, and I hope I never need to drive the loaner Rogue again--a competent but very low end SUV.

JRY

JRY said:
Anyway, new module installed, everything back to normal, although I now top out at just over 100 miles on a full charge--I used to top out close to 120.
Assuming you are referring to the Guess-o-meter, that number is meaningless. What you want to know is number of Gids at full charge and at 80% charge. Several meters available for less than $100 so you can follow this number, plus it lets you know how much "fuel" you really have left.

We got the software update about 2 weeks ago.

The day after it was put in the car stopped charging (L2 EVupgrade) at 75% after 3 trips.
The message about charging stopped at 80% never triggered. I pulled the plug, waited a bit and plugged
it back in, repeated this, and it still would not go up to 80%.

Then strangely it went nearly 2 weeks and charged to 80%, then on Thursday, started stopping at
75% again.

Also, since the upgrade the guess-o-meter is showing less range. It's warm now but I am concerned
about what will happen when I get to winter temps.

Furthermore, and I can't see that anyone else mentioned this, I got a battery capacity warranty from Nissan
Canada.

"In addition to the Lithium-Ion Battery Coverage for defects in materials or workmanship, the Lithium-Ion battery
for your 2011 or 2012 Nissan Leaf is now also warranted against capacity loss below nine (9) bars of capacity as shown on the vehicles battery
level gauge for a perioud of 60 months or 100,000 kilometers, whichever comes first."

In the accompanying letter they say they will replace cells or the battery as needed.

This is neat but the bars are a generated by software and it only takes a tweak of the software to give me
9 bars again, even if I have lost 50% of the capacity. An amp-hour or kw/hr warranty would have meant more
to my comfort level.

Back