Strange sliding/clonking sounds periodically when power off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnr

When stopped and powered off, at periodic intervals strange sliding or clonking type sounds emanate from under the hood. The sounds come at periodic intervals, every few minutes. I first noticed these when I had to stop for a few minutes to charge while on a road trip just a couple months into ownership. Needless to say, the sounds haven't gone away. Nissan CS is a joke, they know virtually nothing about the car (I've asked). My best guess is that they are relays opening and closing to manage the charge in battery cells. The sounds happen whether or not it's charging. If it helps, I'll try and make an audio recording and post it here later.

That may be normal. I hear a bunch of clicking and clunking after I shut mine off too.
Been there since day one, and the car has been trouble free for nearly a year now.

After a few minutes, with the car OFF, not VERY cold, not being "commanded" by Carwings, Climate Control not active, no seat or steering heating, nothing plugged into the Power Port, all lights and headlights OFF, doors not open, and not connected to charging, I don't think there should be any several-minute periodic noises in the "normal" car.

Have you actually demonstrated the noise to a dealer's LEAF tech?

Back