Steering wheel volume down button is activating another function entirely! ZE1 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdsnvlkhn

Hi My Leaf Forum,

I've got a 2017 ZE1 G spec leaf which has a weird fault on the steering wheel volume buttons. The volume up and all other steering wheel buttons work perfectly, however the volume down button is engaging the 'Speak' button which is found on the other side of the steering wheel! So far we've troubleshooted by removing snd re-installing the SD card / system reset, however no change there!

Video included showing the problem...
View attachment IMG_1033.mp4

Appreciate your thoughts!

These buttons are a resistive divider arrangement and the volume up/down buttons are on the same string as the telephone control buttons (see attached diagram). Recommend you check connections on the spiral cable and input plug to the combination meter and clean with contact cleaner. Possibly also the button contacts themselves is someone has spilt their super sized raspberry and cola on it once upon a time...

meter.png

Wow! Thank you very much for the diagram, I have absolutely no idea how that works and my mind is blown. I will try and clean the contacts under the button, I suspect that would be the first likely culprit rather than the cable itself. Do you know if there is an easy way to remove the button itself to get beneath it? I’m guessing it won’t just pop off like a keyboard buttton…

Connectors are another source of potential additional resistance in the circuit. The signal ultimately has to get to the back of the instrument cluster on one of the multi-pin connectors. I'm afraid I do not know the disassembly steps for the steering wheel. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

If I'm reading that right, the volume down effectively shorts pins 15 and 17 on the combination switch, while "tel/vr" adds 3 units of resistance. This suggests that vol down is adding resistance - perhaps something as simple as contact cleaner in the right place is the answer.

If I'm reading that right, the volume down effectively shorts pins 15 and 17 on the combination switch, while "tel/vr" adds 3 units of resistance. This suggests that vol down is adding resistance - perhaps something as simple as contact cleaner in the right place is the answer.
Amazing! That will be my first try, I’ll give that a go in a sec and let you know the results :) thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help everyone! I’m considering this one fixed! Some targeted contact cleaner (with the handy straw to really get behind the button) followed up with some spray air to ensure it was totally evaporated and the issue appears to be solved!

Back