Static electricity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if the newer LEAFs have this issue with static electricity. I am still getting audible electrical pops after 3 years when I exit my 2011 LEAF. I'm in the habit of grounding with my elbow - even now when I exit any car ! I'm trying to remember what voltage is claimed for audible static discharges - 30KV or more and they are strong enough to make you avoid them. It is an electric car but I don't care for the electrostatic feature :)

I'm not so sure the issue with shocks from the steering wheel are simply an issue of static electricity. I have two Leafs (a 2012 and a 2013). I get shocked by the 2012 Leaf frequently. I tend to push on the steering wheel as I get out of the car. The harder I push, the worse the shock. If I simply put my hand on the wheel, but don't push off - no shock. If it was static, I would get shocked either way. Also, there have been days where the shock was "shockingly" intense (sorry, and yes, the pun was intended). My hand would still hurt 10-15 minutes later.

My wife is considerably lighter than I, and do not push on the steering wheel much as she gets out. She has never been shocked.

Last year we bought a second Leaf. Until this morning, I had never been shocked when getting out of that car, but today I did (which is why I started looking for this problem on this forum). Obviously, I get out of both cars the same way. I think the problem is some sort of short in the wiring for the steering wheel heating system. Or perhaps, the wires have very little insulation on them, such that when I push hard on the steering wheel, they get closer together and my hand helps "bridge" live heating wires to a ground somewhere. I would not be surprised if this is a recall issue some day.

Go back one page and read the last two messages there. Short answer, it didn't help. Here's the link: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=6&t=11483&start=10#p290096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have yet to be shocked by my 15 leaf s and I live in a very dry climate.

EDIT:
Actually I completely reverse that statement. I think I probably get an audible shock almost every time I get out of this or any other car. Just don't even notice it anymore after years of living in a dry climate.

Two years with my 2011 Leaf and I get a hearty shock every time. Other cars I've owned/driven with cloth seats do not do this; it's just the Leaf.

It does tend to get worse with the change of seasons. My climate is classified as "semi-arid" and our relative humidity can get very low.

I've gotten used to gingerly closing the door by only touching the plastic edge, then locking it with the fob. Sometimes I win and sometimes I get too close to the metal and the car zings me. It's an annoying ritual.

MajesticLeaf said:
I'm not so sure the issue with shocks from the steering wheel are simply an issue of static electricity. I have two Leafs (a 2012 and a 2013). I get shocked by the 2012 Leaf frequently. I tend to push on the steering wheel as I get out of the car. The harder I push, the worse the shock. If I simply put my hand on the wheel, but don't push off - no shock. If it was static, I would get shocked either way. Also, there have been days where the shock was "shockingly" intense (sorry, and yes, the pun was intended). My hand would still hurt 10-15 minutes later.

My wife is considerably lighter than I, and do not push on the steering wheel much as she gets out. She has never been shocked.

Last year we bought a second Leaf. Until this morning, I had never been shocked when getting out of that car, but today I did (which is why I started looking for this problem on this forum). Obviously, I get out of both cars the same way. I think the problem is some sort of short in the wiring for the steering wheel heating system. Or perhaps, the wires have very little insulation on them, such that when I push hard on the steering wheel, they get closer together and my hand helps "bridge" live heating wires to a ground somewhere. I would not be surprised if this is a recall issue some day.

I think you're right about the steering wheel. I get the normal static shocks in the winter, just like any other car. But in addition, whenever I use the steering wheel heater, I get shocked specifically from the wheel. It's regular enough that I have to believe it's the heater and not just shock. I hope Nissan does do a recall for this, although I doubt they will. As annoying as it is, it doesn't seem to be a safety issue.

I don't quite see how a resistive heater powered from a measley 12VDC supply could be giving off shocks that feel like high-voltage electrostatic arkum-sparkum. Is it possible that the steering wheel heating system uses a bimetalic switch as the temperature-regulating mechanism, and you're feeling the mechanical snap action of said switch?

I wonder if the non-metallic steering wheel (deformable in a crash) is normally not a ground, but adding the heating pad around the wheel effectively provides a chassis ground.

It is our own body that is accumulating a negative static charge from rubbing our clothes on the synthetic seats. That process strips some electrons off the seat fabric. The seat really wants them back! Fastest way is through the car body or something connected to it, like the door frame, steering wheel heater, or even from your finger to the mailbox through the pavement up the tires and back into the car! The seat also has a heater pad which probably improves the conductive path back to the fabric.

Points taken. I guess it's most likely the fact that the heater in the wheel now provides a nice conductive path to "ground", so the static discharge can go through it rather than the traditional door handle.

try holding apiece of metal like the door handle and dont let go as you exit the car. it has worked for me in the past with other "shocking" cars

Back