Spare Tire?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sort of depends on your usage, right?

We have a 2014 SV used principally for my wife's 33-34 mile roundtrip commute along with other local driving. We also have two complete sets of wheels and tires (A/S and winter). So, at any given time four spare tires are <30 minutes away. I mostly work from home and have all the tools needed to quickly change the tire for her should the need arise.

To be honest, even if I put a spare in the car I don't think she would be comfortable changing it on the side of the road (and you know it would be dark and raining). If she's going to call me anyways, I might as well bring the tire and tools at that time.

If we had a newer Leaf with longer range like yours, I would consider getting a spare to carry in the car. If you're willing to lose the cargo space, there are many posts here about the options other folks have used. Donut spares from other Nissan vehicles should fit (I think I've seen mention of both Altimas and Jukes), or you could buy a steel wheel with the appropriate bolt pattern and buy a cheap A/S tire to use as a spare. If you're in a populated area, many respondents on those posts suggested getting AAA service and not worrying about carrying a spare.

There are also posts here about folks who figured out a way to hang a (donut?) spare underneath the rear of the car. I can't remember the details, but it's here somewhere.

Forgot to mention: our car came with a scissor jack, a nice electric pump, and the bottle of tire goo. I don't think I would use the goo except in an extreme emergency; with our usage of the Leaf as described above I can't imagine what that would be.

Always good to put this in context. Our household has had 2 to 3 vehicles at any given time over the past 20 years. Over that period of time I have had 1 flat while out on the road. I called AAA and they changed the tire. I have owned 3 EVs over the past 11 years. Number of flats on an EV other than a soft tire in the driveway - zero. I seldom drive on remote or unimproved roads. I do not drive on old or badly worn tires. My risk exposure appears to be pretty low.

Before my wife had her eye surgery she clipped a few curbs, resulting in sidewall damage. That is when you need a spare! I don't have one yet but plan to. It can stay in the garage, but that beats having to run to the car, pull the tire off and take it to a tire store.
I used to truck in the sparse areas of the country, I always had a mounted spare and the tools to change a tire. Running MT 200 across the state, or across eastern OR, there are few places to get a tire.
Old tires never bothered me, I ran some that were 30 years old or more, as long as they weren't dry rotted, it was ok. Only problem is if you hit a chuck-hole the rubber tended to "chunk out" tearing a chunk of rubber right down to the cords off the tire. A newer more flexible tire wouldn't do that. A few times a 40 year old spare got me home!
It is hard for me to feel comfortable with the little air compressor and bottle of goop.

What do y’all do about the no spare tire problem? I bought a ‘21 Leaf SV 6 mos ago and am quite happy so far, but leery about depending on a can of Puncture Seal.
I bought a 2015 Leaf 4 years ago and was horrified to find that it had a can of goop and a compressor instead of a spare tire. The goop would work only for a small puncture that was not in the sidewall. I imagined what a mechanic would charge to clean the goop off the wheel, the tire and the pressure sensor, before patching the tire. Also, the can of goop was past its expiry date. So, I bought a new wheel, a used tire and a jack. I didn't like the idea of putting the spare under the car since the rear belly pan would need to be cut out and the spare would be exposed to the elements. I put the spare in the "trunk" and secured it with an eye bolt. The floor of the trunk is not very thick, so I welded a nut to a steel plate and siliconed it to the underside of the trunk and applied moly grease to keep the threads from rusting. The jack and tools store nicely in and around the spare and there is still just enough room for my golf clubs.

What do y’all do about the no spare tire problem? I bought a ‘21 Leaf SV 6 mos ago and am quite happy so far, but leery about depending on a can of Puncture Seal.
We own a 2020 Plus. I bought a spare and changing kit on ebay. Put the spare on a large piece of plastic in the area behind the back seat.

I would leave the nail or screw in the tire, pump up the pressure with the electric pump, and drive home or to where I could get it fixed. I can monitor the tire pressure with LeafSpy as I drive so I would know if I needed to stop and pump it up some more. If the tire is really damaged, that might not work, so I would call AAA.

I bought a new steel wheel ($68) and tire ($60) from Discount Tire. It stays in our garage. We never are far from home so I figure all my wife or I have to do is make a call and we'll be up and running in 40 minutes if we have a flat. Will probably not ever need it. But like the peace of mind it provides.

I occasionally take my 2019 Leaf on rough mountain roads, so I bought two cans of goop that live in the trunk space next to the cargo bin, and joined AAA. As a musician, I'm often packing the Leaf full of electric pianos and PA gear, so I can't easily give up space for a spare tire. Ironically, it was my wife's Honda Element that got a flat tire right at home. My whole family was unable to budge the bolts to change the tire, so I thought of the Leaf's tire goop cans. We followed the directions, and it worked a charm: the Element's flat tire was inflated and stayed so while we drove it to the tire shop, whose pneumatic wrenches worked better than our muscle, and they were able to repair the tire.

A car is made up of 1500 parts, any of which can fail .....not sure why we carry a spare wheel.......haven't had a flat in 30 years and 500,00 miles...I'll take my chances.
Than I guess this thread isn't a concern for you, not sure why you replied.
Few other parts (none) comprise the interface between the car and road. You can somewhat control the car but not the road.
Give that a failure will result in a big hassle, it is worth thinking about. Whether you carry the spare or not, having the ability to resolve the situation without leaving the car for extended period on the side of the road seams like a reasonable thing to prepare for.
For a car that doesn't venture far from home, and a family that could have someone bring the tire, than carrying all the time doesn't make a lot of sense unless it can be stored out of the way.
For those that venture a long way from base, carry a spare, even if only on longer trips make sense.
Everybody has likely seen a semi on the side of the road with a flat, or "limping at slow speed" with one of a set of duals shot. It can take a long time from occurrence to back on your way. That time doubles or more if the rim has to be replaced as well as the tire and not noticed until the service truck shows up. I could change any tire on my rig in 25 min or less. Car tires are a breeze compared to that.
If you routinely travel or rural two lanes, getting far enough off the road while waiting for help to arrive is not easy.
For my Leaf, it rarely travels more the 15 miles from home, so the spare will likely stay mounted and out of the sun in the garage, ready when needed.

I carry a tire repair kit, you know, the kind with sticky strips. I've been carrying the same set of strips for two decades, 6 cars. Used 4 strips. Saved me a lot of trouble these 4 times. Never had to use a spare tire. They are technically temporary repairs but I've found them permanent enough 😉

Never had a sidewall rip though.

I occasionally take my 2019 Leaf on rough mountain roads, so I bought two cans of goop that live in the trunk space next to the cargo bin, and joined AAA. As a musician, I'm often packing the Leaf full of electric pianos and PA gear, so I can't easily give up space for a spare tire. Ironically, it was my wife's Honda Element that got a flat tire right at home. My whole family was unable to budge the bolts to change the tire, so I thought of the Leaf's tire goop cans. We followed the directions, and it worked a charm: the Element's flat tire was inflated and stayed so while we drove it to the tire shop, whose pneumatic wrenches worked better than our muscle, and they were able to repair the tire.
Seized lug nuts are a nightmare, especially if you get a flat tire in the boonies and there is no cell service. For 50 years, I have been putting a thin coat of molybdenum disulfide grease on the threads of the wheel studs on my vehicles, making sure that no grease gets on the tapered surface of the lug nuts or the mating surfaces on the wheels. I change wheels twice a year (winter and summer tires) and have never had a lug nut seize or loosen. Note that torque specs assume that the tapered surfaces on the lug nuts and wheels are clean and dry.

I also grease the threads of the wheel studs. In addition, I use anti-seize compound on any wheel mating surfaces where alloy meets steel.

I cannot count the number of times I had to use a dead-blow hammer to get an alloy wheel off a hub.
I have done the same with winter tire steel rims that liked to glue themselves on. More than a few times I've spent 15 or 20 minutes banging on the tire with a rubber mallet before it came off. With regard to getting the lug nuts off, sometimes my air impact doesn't cut it but I can get them off with a regular tire iron and a 3' cheater bar slipped over it.

A car is made up of 1500 parts, any of which can fail .....not sure why we carry a spare wheel.......haven't had a flat in 30 years and 500,00 miles...I'll take my chances.
You are one very lucky person! Tiny sharp rock in the tread groove, 18 gauge nail snapped off flush inside the groove, screw in the tire, wife driving too fast on a road that was being redone, large rock base, cut the side wall. Forced into the curb (1 spare didn't cut it that time). I'm sure there are others as well. Fortunately none on the Leaf (knock on wood).

The Leaf has no spare, I stole the spare from my wife's 2006 Prius (may it rest in peace) for my 2018 Prius Prime. There is no dedicated space for it. Mostly it lives behind the shotgun seat unless I have to put a person there, then it goes in the hatch.

Both cars came with the TPMS sensor destroying goo and pump. I carry a plug kit in my car and a small electric pump. I won't use the goo unless I have no other option. Last I knew the Toyota sensor runs well over $100 not including the cost of having it installed.

I recently had a fast puncture having hit a pothole. I tried the gloop and pump but it was no good. Luckily only a half mile from home, so I drove.
The plan next day was to take off the bad wheel and drive it to my local garage in our second car. I knew there was no spare when I bought the car, but what shocked me was that there was no jack! The wheel brace from the other car didn’t fit, and I didn’t trust the jack to lift the extra weight of the Leaf.
I can understand the logic behind no spare wheel, but what is the logic behind no jack?

I recently had a fast puncture having hit a pothole. I tried the gloop and pump but it was no good. Luckily only a half mile from home, so I drove.
The plan next day was to take off the bad wheel and drive it to my local garage in our second car. I knew there was no spare when I bought the car, but what shocked me was that there was no jack! The wheel brace from the other car didn’t fit, and I didn’t trust the jack to lift the extra weight of the Leaf.
I can understand the logic behind no spare wheel, but what is the logic behind no jack?
No spare tire = no jack. They expect us to use the goop and drive it to a dealer. Just extra weight and cost for no benefit as far as Nissan is concerned.

Back