Some lease questions ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Googler said:
The figure quoted in 2010 for cost of the Leaf batteries was $375/kwh. For a 24kwh pack, that's $9000 for manufacturing cost. A more recent guess was $310/kwh. Deloitte has observed that the historical rate of improvement in battery technology has been something like 5%. Another report from Citibank in 2009 said something similar (see http://ourenergypolicy.org/docs/9/All_Hail_the_Electric_Car_-_Citi__3_.pdf). If you forecast a rapid 20% rate of price drop for the next three years, it would still have a manufacturing cost of $4600 after three years. The retail cost including installation for a new battery pack would be considerable.

Consider that the car retails for $33K at present. A prius, civic, and VW Jetta TDI all sell for under $25K. A huge part of the cost for the Leaf is the batteries. I wouldn't count on batteries being cheap in three years.

Exactly, perhaps $12K on the low side for a pack. If they were $5-6K then who would care about a capacity warranty as much and Nissan would likely have one.

ok i might go as high as $5,000 on the retail end, but that was not part of the discussion. it was how much would it cost to take a returned lease and put it back out to sell.

remember the old pack has value as well

Back