Some lease questions ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeHorse

Any word on the higher mileage lease details, if available. Highest I've seen is 15,000; I'd feel more comfortable with 18,000 to cover my expected round-trip commute of 67 miles per day. 18,000 to 20,000 seems about right to me, and certainly 18,000 if possible as it would obviously be cheaper.

I am confused with the lease scenario now....

Can someone pls help me decide.... I am in California. I was swayed by the lease route until I read this thread. I am probably going to start this thought process all over again...

Some odd ball questions:
1) Where is the "money factor" in the lease shown? How is it converted to an interest rate so that someone can compare it apples-to-apples as to any regular auto loan?

2) Is this money factor consistent (a standard number given) between all Nissan dealers/ and within the 50 U.S. states ?

3) Does the money factor change when selecting a 3 year lease vs a 4 year lease and any associated mileage cap options ?

I just checked PenFed, and the auto loan rate is still great:
https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/loans/vehicleLoans/newAutoLoans.asp
2.99% APR

Should I just forget the whole lease thing, and get the best loan rate to buy the car? The Nissan Lease route is good for that "insurance" policy on the battery in case of major issues but I am thinking just this one reason is not justified.

In California, the sales tax percentage is almost 10% and compounded into the month lease payments; coupled with a lousy money factor/interest rate from Nissan just doesn't sound like a good deal anymore....

Any help or guidance is most appreciated.... Thanks.

mxp said:
In California, the sales tax percentage is almost 10% and compounded into the month lease payments; coupled with a lousy money factor/interest rate from Nissan just doesn't sound like a good deal anymore....
Can you take the full $7500 federal tax deduction? That is a key issue in making the lease/buy decision. A 2% difference in financing costs (given the quoted 4.9% "money factor" rate vs. 2.9% bank/CU rate) is going to make a difference of roughly $2200 over a 3-year period. You have to add in the $395 acquisition fee you paid to set up the lease, so there is something like a $2600 difference, by my calculation. If you can't take more than $4900 off your taxes with the federal credit, the lease may be a better proposition from a financial perspective.

If you aren't going to keep the car, or are afraid of the battery capacity degradation, then leasing makes sense even if it's more expensive. I have flip-flopped back and forth on this question for quite some time now, myself, and it is a non-trivial equation, with many unknowns involved, most vital of which is what the value of a 3-year old Leaf will be. This depends on whether the battery pack proves to be reliable and degrades slowly, or not, in which case how Nissan reacts to a pervasive problem will be the key. As of today, I am back to buying, but this could change in a heartbeat. :roll:

TT

ttweed said:
If you aren't going to keep the car, or are afraid of the battery capacity degradation, then leasing makes sense even if it's more expensive.
Right. If the idea is to look for a "better" car in 3 years lease makes sense.

The lease is about 5%. If the financing is 3% - then if you buy out the car at the end of the lease, the difference would be about 1,500. Not taking taxes into consideration.

MoneyFactor times 24 is the equivalent interest rate. It should be standard across all Nissan dealers (IMHO) because NILT (which I found out means Nissan-Infinity Leasing Trust) controls it; and, no, a longer term or miles does not affect the MoneyFactor, only your credit rating does. The term/miles affects the Residual Percentage.

If you are TOTALLY sure you want the car and for a LONG TIME (it meets all your needs NOW and when battery degrades to a range of only 60 miles) .... say more than 6 or 7 years, then yes, purchase.

If you are NOT so sure (or 60 miles (conservatively) is not enough in 6 or 7 years), or you change cars often, or you want something with better this/that/the-other ... then the "penalty" you pay for the lease is a kind of insurance. On top of that, if you buy and wanted to sell the car in a few years ... we currently have absolutely NO BENCHMARK how a high-volume EV will be valued in the market a few years from now (when other competition has also entered the market). The residual percentages are GUESS-timates by Nissan. The Lease allows you to walk away in 3 or 4 years. (Or potentially even PROFIT ... if gas skyrockets, and the battery does well, buy out the lease and sell the car for more than its 45% (or whatever) residual. Except (as with investments) you now have a problem: gas is high, you want another EV, demand is high, what will you buy ? :| )

I just drove a leaf today, and went to the dealer tonight. She told me about the lease option and said nothing was due on delivery above first month's payment. She also mentioned the leasing option and went out of her way to make it sound like the $7,500 was a sure thing on the lease but iffy on a purchase.

I smiled at her and said,"Lease? But that's the way GM was able to take the EV1s back." she had no idea what I was talking about. She wouldn't even sit down and explain pricing to me. She told me to do it online. I decided she shouldn't be a leaf sales person.

Anyway, eveything is kind of looking like a scam now. Sales service quality will remain mediocre till they have them sitting on the lots.

LEAFer said:
The Lease allows you to walk away in 3 or 4 years.
One factor that is driving me towards the "buy" side of the equation is that we will probably not put more than 8-9,000 miles per year on the car even if we try hard. Is there a lower mileage allowance possible on a lease than 12,500/year? If we leased and gave the car up after 3 years, we are going to end up giving them back a cream puff of a car with way less than the maximum miles on it, in all likelihood. I know there is a penalty for any miles over the max allowed, but is there any bonus for less? Seems like there should be, but I'm pretty sure there is not--at least I've never heard of such an allowance for low mileage use under a lease.

If I bought the car (ignoring the other unknown factors regarding its value as a used car) and decided to sell it in 3 years, having low mileage in relation to others on the market would fetch a premium on the price, generally. I would rather reap that benefit than give it to the dealer.

TT

ttweed said:
LEAFer said:
The Lease allows you to walk away in 3 or 4 years.
One factor that is driving me towards the "buy" side of the equation is that we will probably not put more than 8-9,000 miles per year on the car even if we try hard. Is there a lower mileage allowance possible on a lease than 12,500/year?
TT
Ask your dealer. I think you can "buy" a higher residual with a lower-miles lease. That could make sense.

ttweed said:
If I bought the car (ignoring the other unknown factors regarding its value as a used car) and decided to sell it in 3 years, having low mileage in relation to others on the market would fetch a premium on the price, generally. I would rather reap that benefit than give it to the dealer.
You can always buy the car at the end of the lease if the going market rate is good.

LEAFer said:
Ask your dealer. I think you can "buy" a higher residual with a lower-miles lease. That could make sense.
Ya, I will add that to my list of questions whenever our car actually arrives and we can get down to the business of actually buying it! That will be right after the question about how the hell they are going to assure me about the battery capacity over time if there is nothing in the warranty to indicate what a "normal" rate of loss should be?

TT

evnow said:
You can always buy the car at the end of the lease if the going market rate is good.
Oh I understand that part, but if the car ends up performing that well over time, I will be pissed at myself for not having the confidence in it to buy it outright in the first place, saving myself the $2500 "insurance policy." It's sort of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation, especially since I have never leased and always bought cars for the long run... :evil:

TT

ttweed said:
Oh I understand that part, but if the car ends up performing that well over time, I will be pissed at myself for not having the confidence in it to buy it outright in the first place, saving myself the $2500 "insurance policy."
Think of it this way. At the end of a month are you unhappy that you didn't have an accident ?

ttweed said:
A 2% difference in financing costs (given the quoted 4.9% "money factor" rate vs. 2.9% bank/CU rate) is going to make a difference of roughly $2200 over a 3-year period. You have to add in the $395 acquisition fee you paid to set up the lease, so there is something like a $2600 difference, by my calculation.
I'm not sure that is a fair calculation. Since you are only putting $2K in up front when leasing, you should figure $2K down when purchasing. If you are in a state like CA with nearly 10% tax, that means you will have to borrow more than $35K for an SV at MSRP with no accessories. To get down to a monthly payment roughly equivalent to the lease payment (about $425 including tax) it will have to be a 8-year loan. Let's assume you get the whole $7.5K back a year later and use it to pay down your loan. Very roughly:

Year 1: interest = $1050, principal = $4050, still owe about $31K - $7.5K = $23.5K
Year 2: interest = $645, principle = $4455, still owe about $19K
Year 3: interest: $510
Total interest: $2305 for 3 years

With the lease you don't have to pay the tax up front, and the $7.5K comes off the top, so you start out owing about $26.5K - $2K down = $24.5K. Tax is included in the monthly payment. Again, very roughly:

Year 1 interest = $1150, tax = $420, principle = $3530, still owe about $21K
Year 2 interest = $975, tax = $420, principle = $3705, still owe about $17.3K
Year 3 interest = $800
Total interest: $2925 for 3 years

So I come up with only about a $620 difference in interest for the three years with comparable down payment and monthly payments. There is, of course, the issue that you end up paying taxes on the interest, so the real difference is closer to $900. But that's a lot less than your $2200.

plant was what was the bottom line you pay $900 more leasing the out right buying?

If so then a lower money factor would help right?

plant let assume you pay the rebate outside the loan. Because why finance the rebate how would that work out much better then right? Buying over leasing. I am only going to get about $6,000 of the rebate so I am leaning at a lease because of the insurance idea with a new battery powered car. Who would I sell it to without a hugh loss.

planet4ever said:
To get down to a monthly payment roughly equivalent to the lease payment (about $425 including tax) it will have to be a 8-year loan.
Yes, your calculation is more rigorous and "apples to apples" than mine. I did not allow for equalizing monthly payments, and didn't include the $7500 fed credit in the cap reduction on the lease, and I was using cost figures I did for my own SL purchase (not SV) "off-the-cuff" several weeks ago when I came up with the $2200 figure. Now that I think back on it, I was not even figuring interest differences at the time but the total out-of-pocket cost for purchasing my car vs. leasing and buying out the residual at the end, so I blew it in my previous post. I simply looked at the total lease payments plus the residual and subtracted that from the cost of buying the car with a 2.99% loan for 36 months. The calculation was roughly $41K for lease costs vs. $38.8 for buying with 100% financing. This also ignored the $2000 down payment for the lease and assumed I would keep the car at the end of the lease and not finance the residual. My bad.... :oops:

Comparing the relative cost of leasing vs. buying is tricky business, though, because of all the variables. In your own thoughtful example, you mentioned:
There is, of course, the issue that you end up paying taxes on the interest, so the real difference is closer to $900.
Isn't there also an additional $650 in sales tax you pay up front with the lease on the $7500 fed credit which would not apply if you purchase? I know this is true in CA, maybe not in other states? There is also the $400 disposition fee if you give the car back at the end of the lease, which may or may not be negotiable, depending on what you do to replace the vehicle. These are the kinds of factors I struggle with when trying to figure the true cost of "buying first-adopter EV insurance" by leasing instead of buying.

Another hooker in my personal calculation at this point in time is that we have now pre-qualified for a 1.99% 24-month loan. Our total interest cost for this financing will be $771.85 on a $37,000 loan, assuming we put no money down at all. Of course, the monthly payments will be huge, but we could afford to put in a large down payment or even pay cash for the car if we wanted (which then introduces the lost "opportunity cost of money" factor).

When I look at all the "help" we are getting with this purchase--the $7500 from the feds, the $5,000 from CA, the $2200 charger from the EVP and the free L3 port--plus the lower operating cost of the car and the likelihood that we will want to keep it and buy out the residual, it makes less and less sense to me to lease. I just don't think the worst-case scenarios regarding its resale value will result in us losing terribly on the deal, and the opposite might very well happen--the battery pack may prove to be reliable and long-lived.

Luckily, much as I hate waiting, we still have several months to ponder the alternatives before our car arrives. The more info i can glean from this forum in the meantime, the better off I will be when I finally have to make the decision...
TT

Gonewild said:
plant let assume you pay the rebate outside the loan. Because why finance the rebate how would that work out much better then right? Buying over leasing.
By "rebate" you clearly seem to mean here the federal tax credit. At this point you won't be able to get that credit until 2012, unless you can get a little bit of it every paycheck by adjusting your withholding. There is no way that you can have all - or even very much - of it available at the time you purchase the car. That is why I assumed you would need to finance the entire cost of the car, including the $7500.

Obviously my entire calculation assumes you don't have a big horde of cash on hand. I made that assumption so I could do an "apples to apples" comparison with leasing.

ttweed said:
Isn't there also an additional $650 in sales tax you pay up front with the lease on the $7500 fed credit which would not apply if you purchase?
No, you have to pay sales tax on the total price whether you purchase or lease.

ttweed said:
There is also the $400 disposition fee if you give the car back at the end of the lease, which may or may not be negotiable, depending on what you do to replace the vehicle.
True. I was focusing on interest and tax in my post. There are other leasing costs.

ttweed said:
Another hooker in my personal calculation at this point in time is that we have now pre-qualified for a 1.99% 24-month loan. Our total interest cost for this financing will be $771.85 on a $37,000 loan, assuming we put no money down at all. Of course, the monthly payments will be huge, but we could afford to put in a large down payment or even pay cash for the car if we wanted (which then introduces the lost "opportunity cost of money" factor).
Congratulations on your financial position. I could only wish I was as well off, and it would indeed make a significant difference in the lease/buy decision. The opportunity cost of money is a huge question mark at this point. It is at an historic low at the moment and I have no idea how quickly it will recover.

ttweed said:
When I look at all the "help" we are getting with this purchase--the $7500 from the feds, the $5,000 from CA, the $2200 charger from the EVP and the free L3 port--plus the lower operating cost of the car and the likelihood that we will want to keep it and buy out the residual, it makes less and less sense to me to lease. I just don't think the worst-case scenarios regarding its resale value will result in us losing terribly on the deal, and the opposite might very well happen--the battery pack may prove to be reliable and long-lived.
I'm not sure why the "help" items you listed matter in the lease/buy decision. You get them to the same extent either way with the possible exception of the federal tax credits. But on the best case vs. worst case analysis, it seems to me that leasing has no down side and a possible up side. If you want to keep the car it doesn't matter (at least not much - maybe 3%) which way you paid for it. So let's assume you decide not to keep it. On the lease side, if the car is worth a lot more than the residual, you can buy it, turn around and sell it, and pocket a nice profit. If it is worth a lot less, you can walk away and not lose anything. On the buy side, you can also pocket the profit if it is worth more, but you are stuck with taking a loss if it is worth less.

planet4ever said:
ttweed said:
Isn't there also an additional $650 in sales tax you pay up front with the lease on the $7500 fed credit which would not apply if you purchase?
No, you have to pay sales tax on the total price whether you purchase or lease.
This is not really true, is it? If you lease the car and walk away, you pay tax only on the up-front costs (the $7500 + $2000 down) plus the total of your lease payments over the 3 years, not on the residual value, no? You never bought that, why would you pay sales tax on it? The next owner would. Am I missing something?

But on the best case vs. worst case analysis, it seems to me that leasing has no down side and a possible up side. If you want to keep the car it doesn't matter (at least not much - maybe 3%) which way you paid for it.
I can't help but see the extra 3% cost (and I'm not convinced it isn't closer to 6%) as a "down side."

Here's what I am looking at--from the actual lease example that was posted earlier, assuming I kept the car:
Lease
Total cost of payments = $25478
Residual value = $15,580
Sales tax on residual at lease end = $1363 (unless I am mistaken and this is included in lease payments somehow?)
Total outlay = $42,421

Purchase
Price = $35005 (this is from the Gross Capitalized Cost entry on the lease)
Sales tax = $3063
REG and Doc prep = $547
Interest on loan = $764 (1.99% for 2 years on 36,615 loan after $2k DOWN)
Total outlay = $39,379

This is a $3042 overall difference, as far as I can tell. Quite a bit more than 3%. And if the residual is financed, not cashed out, there would be additional interest costs there. Of course the purchase scenario requires a more rapid outlay of capital, and waiting for a year before recovering the $7500 tax credit, but this is as "apples and apples" as I can make this scenario, with my limited experience with leasing.

TT

evnow said:
ttweed said:
Oh I understand that part, but if the car ends up performing that well over time, I will be pissed at myself for not having the confidence in it to buy it outright in the first place, saving myself the $2500 "insurance policy."
Think of it this way. At the end of a month are you unhappy that you didn't have an accident?
No, but I am required by state law to carry insurance on my car. I am not required to lease it, so there is a choice involved. I am trying to rationalize that choice for my particular situation. There are different ways of looking at the deal. Rather than thinking that the car is going to be a dog (why am I buying it then?) with a very low resale value after 3 years that makes it worth paying $3000 (or $2500, or whatever) in "insurance" by leasing, so as to be free to give it back to the dealer, I could look at it as saving that $2500 through the purchase option, which will be a hedge against the resale value dropping $2500 below what Nissan expects it to be in 3 years, represented by the residual value figure. Unless they really suck on this implementation, I just don't see a 3-year old Leaf selling for less than $13K, but who knows?

Insure or hedge? I'm still uncertain, despite your rhetorical argument.
TT

Back