So the Extended Warranty... what does it NOT cover?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NissanLeafCamper

I am considering buying an extended warranty. My a/c died a few weeks ago and it just got patched and I was thankfully still under warranty. Driver window sounds lose and shaky when I close my door and passenger window was screeching in the winter :( I doubt it will hold up

So I think I should get an extended warranty but I wonder.... What do the extended warranties actually cover?

It seems extended warranties DON'T cover the same items as in a regular brand new car warranty? Am I correct in this?

You need to read all of the fine print, as they vary in coverage. Generally, parts that wear quickly, like brake pads and tires, are not covered. Bulbs are not usually covered. Parts that are covered by the 8 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty may not also be covered by a third party warranty. You'll have to read it - carefully.

I'm getting a warranty from NIssan of santa Rossa so I'd think this is from a reputable dealer? It shouldn't be third party? Or is it just because it is a dealer?

http://nissansrextendedservicecontracts.com/

I think break pads and other regular wear items are not covered by the normal warranty so I don't think that changes things much? I meant items that usually are covered by a brand new warranty when compared to an extended one .

If you're planning to buy the official Nissan "Security +" extended warranty, these are the components that are covered: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/extendedserviceplans/Security+Plus%20Component%20Coverage%20Guide.pdf

Nissan has 3 levels of extended warranties: Gold, Silver, and Powertrain only: https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/extendedserviceplans/Extended.pdf

These are for ICE models, not sure how much the Leaf version varies. But as mentioned before, make sure you read up on what the coverage is, and what the deductibles are, before buying one.

NissanLeafCamper said:
It seems extended warranties DON'T cover the same items as in a regular brand new car warranty? Am I correct in this?

Some manufacturer-issued higher-priced protection plans are pretty close to the original brand new car warranty but you need to read the description carefully to understand the exclusions. I'd stay away from 3rd party extended warranties.

NissanLeafCamper said:
I'm getting a warranty from NIssan of santa Rossa so I'd think this is from a reputable dealer? It shouldn't be third party? Or is it just because it is a dealer?

http://nissansrextendedservicecontracts.com/

That looks like the "genuine" Nissan version I bought (price-matched by my local dealer) when I bought my Leaf a few years ago; just make sure you get the one specific to the Leaf (it's on that list). The only reason I bought the extended warranty was my concern that no one but the dealer could/would work on Leafs (and that's mostly still true).

I noticed the comment about windows: I had my passenger side window motor replaced under (extended) warranty. Nissan's tend to have electric window problems, so don't be surprised if you get a "slow" one (my driver's side window is the best I've ever seen). I also had some A/C work done under this same warranty (I think it was a $50 deductible), so even though I'm not a fan of extended warranties, I have used it on my Leaf.

My experience with these things is that while the brochure lists hundreds if not thousands of items (sometimes even down to fasteners) for whatever reason the problem I have happens to not be on the list.

What's a power window motor replacement? $300? With a $100 deductible the plan is only covering $200, you'd have to have a lot of those to make back the grand or two they want for these plans. Of course if the AC compressor goes it could certainly pay off, but my feeling is still that these warranties are just huge money makers for the sellers, they have the data on failure rates to know they will come out way ahead.

LTLFTcomposite said:
What's a power window motor replacement? $300? With a $100 deductible the plan is only covering $200, you'd have to have a lot of those to make back the grand or two they want for these plans. Of course if the AC compressor goes it could certainly pay off, but my feeling is still that these warranties are just huge money makers for the sellers, they have the data on failure rates to know they will come out way ahead.

I concur, I bought a couple of these in the past and at best I broke even considering the cost of repairs done, and that is at dealership prices. I have no regrets though as it is difficult to put a price tag on a peace of mind.

Valdemar said:
I concur, I bought a couple of these in the past and at best I broke even considering the cost of repairs done, and that is at dealership prices. I have no regrets though as it is difficult to put a price tag on a peace of mind.
I wouldn't mind paying for peace of mind either, but these plans don't provide that for me. Instead of wondering whether something big will break, I'm left wondering whether something that isn't covered will break, or that I missed some detail in that lengthy documentation, and now I'll be out the cost of the repair AND the cost of the warranty. Really you're only talking about the period after the bumper to bumper warranty expires, and in recent years I don't recall much breaking in years 4-6 on cars I've had.

Instead I take a different approach, if a mfr sells me a car and it has an inordinate number of problems and fails to make it right, they lost a customer because next time I'll be buying something else. Also I won't hesitate to factually make my experiences known on social media.

BTW, never buy a samsung washing machine :lol:

Back