so, bottom line - which EVSE, if any?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
The idea that charging at anything other than super off peak is also over-stated. The difference between off-peak and super off-peak is usually not that great. Certainly not so great as to make up for the cost of a much more expensive charger.

There are folks who would Just-Drive-The-Prius(TM) to save a nickel, so I can't imagine they would find a 400% difference between peak and super off peak as "over-stated".

So far, I have had no trouble using the trickle charger. Unfortunately, I will need to get a 120 outlet installed that is on its own circuit to comfortably continue that
I have looked at evseupgrade, but I am leasing. Has anyone done the upgrade, then had trouble when it came time to turn the car in?
I still cant convince myself I need the full $1000 plus installation outfit. I dont have a dryer plug in my garage, so I would need to have an electrician out for that as well.
I appreciate all the imput.

KayfromLA said:
So far, I have had no trouble using the trickle charger. Unfortunately, I will need to get a 120 outlet installed that is on its own circuit to comfortably continue that
I have looked at evseupgrade, but I am leasing. Has anyone done the upgrade, then had trouble when it came time to turn the car in?
I still cant convince myself I need the full $1000 plus installation outfit. I dont have a dryer plug in my garage, so I would need to have an electrician out for that as well.
I appreciate all the imput.
If you're going to get a dedicated 120V outlet installed anyway, it should only cost a tiny bit more to make that a 240V outlet - 20 amps is all you need but getting thicker wire (like 8 gauge, say) installed might be good for "future proofing" if it's only a few dollars more. That plus an upgraded EVSE will set you up with L2 on the cheap.

I don't know if anyone's done a lease return with an upgraded EVSE yet, but Phil at evseupgrade.com says he'll swap it back for free. I'm sure you could also find someone on the board who would swap it back at the end of the lease without any trouble.

You could also find a more budget friendly EVSE on ebay or in the classifieds here if you're at all concerned about modifying the L1 unit. It is nice to carry that around in the car with you, too. Here's one for $550, from a very reputable seller. EDIT: Looks like it's sold. Someone here get it?

By the way, said seller is also a friend of mine and a highly regarded electrician in the LA area who does EVSE installs. If the LA in your name stands for Los Angeles you might want to give him a call. (William Korthof, 714-875 three five seven six)

KayfromLA said:
I have looked at evseupgrade, but I am leasing. Has anyone done the upgrade, then had trouble when it came time to turn the car in? ...
Can't imagine you'll have a problem. You could always broker a swap with someone, their unmodified EVSE for your modded one when the time comes.

Back