sign white house petition to provide tax credit at purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

Dear friends,

I wanted to let you know about a new petition I created on We the People,
a new feature on WhiteHouse.gov, and ask for your support. Will you add your
name to mine? If this petition gets 100,000 signatures by March 08, 2013,
the White House will review it and respond!

We the People allows anyone to create and sign petitions asking the Obama
Administration to take action on a range of issues. If a petition gets
enough support, the Obama Administration will issue an official response.

You can view and sign the petition here:

Updated link:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-electric-cars-federal-tax-credit-instant-price-reduction-time-purchase-and-exempt-them-sales/y5KTrrTJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some more information about this petition:

Make electric cars federal tax credit an instant price reduction
at time of purchase and exempt them from sales taxes

1. Energy independence starts at home. Making electric vehicles more
affordable to obtain, helps the nation to withdraw its addiction to foreign
oil.
2. Clean air. Electric cars have no tailpipes. No harmful emissions making
everyone sick from air pollution.
3. electric vehicles contribute to the local economy by keeping the economic
activity local instead of sending money out of state to the oil cartel.
4. Innovation creates jobs for our engineers. Rapid penetration of electric
vehicles and infrastructure creates a growing market for new products.
As a current electric vehicle owner, the only issue stopping the rapid
acceptance of the technology is the intial drive out cost. Not everyone can
benefit from a tax credit but everyone would benefit from an nstant price
reduction.

Updated note: Yes, It is naive, but the point to make is to raise the conciousness - make people aware and if it succeeds more power to the electric vehicle community (and less to the oil companies).

A very naive petition..

The present tax credit is part of permanent tax law, not easily repealed.. a rebate would have to be approved every year and subject to debate about deficit spending and ceilings.. one concerned Senator could hold it up at will. The current tax credit only applies to those that pay Fed taxes, and the credit reduces those taxes.. a very Reagan trickle down idea to stimulate the economy, yet it is subsidizing a green initiative, a very progressive idea.. that is the compromise of both sides.

How can the Feds prevent a local or state sales tax from being collected?.. contact your local/State government.

For once I agree completely with Herm. The White House can't do anything about this until they get a bill from Congress, and we don't want the Congress to do it because, as Herm says, they would first take away what we have and then probably not be able to agree on anything to replace it. And of course no part of the Federal government can do anything about sales taxes.

Ray

As it stands at the moment, the tax credit gets passed on via leasing anyway, its a built in safety valve.

Updated link:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/make-electric-cars-federal-tax-credit-instant-price-reduction-time-purchase-and-exempt-them-sales/y5KTrrTJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It requires 150 signatures to be even searchable. Can we get 149 of us to sign the petition?

It is less naive than asking for secession from the union.

ydnas7 said:
As it stands at the moment, the tax credit gets passed on via leasing anyway, its a built in safety valve.

Because Nissan treats the pass through as a courtesy to the buyer. It's not a requirement. Check out Tony's lease comments when he got his Rav4. He didn't get the full $7500 because Toyota pocketed a portion before passing on the remainder.

I would personally prefer the tax credit become a roll-over. Then it would be useful in encouraging folks who don't have that kind of annual tax liability.

I know that my own circumstances would preclude me buying another EV if that was the major/only incentive right now, because I don't expect to have that kind of tax liability again until I'm back to full employment (assuming at some point that actually does happen!)

I've signed it even though I agree that the Administration can't do anything about the state sales taxes. Except maybe encourage the states to implement such a plan. There may be something that they can do about the Federal tax, like make a $7500 zero interest loan available that would get paid off by the IRS at tax time? I have no idea what the best way to do this is, but it was certainly an issue for me when I purchased. I borrowed the cash from my parents for a year to make my monthly payments lower. I simply did not want to lease. For those that do, great, you're already covered.

ksnogas2112 said:
Because Nissan treats the pass through as a courtesy to the buyer. It's not a requirement. Check out Tony's lease comments when he got his Rav4. He didn't get the full $7500 because Toyota pocketed a portion before passing on the remainder.

GM also does it as a courtesy, but different from Nissan.. GM uses the $7500 to increase the residual value at the end of the lease.. Niisan simply takes it off the top at the beginning of the lease. This means you can get the $7500 by leasing a Leaf and immediately paying off the lease and converting it to a regular loan, not so with the Volt

I agree, the feds can't really do much about the state sales tax, or in Kentucky, the property tax that is in addition to the sales tax. Vehicles in Kentucky are taxed so agressively that it is really stupid to purchase a new car. I guess adding the sales tax in with the loan, and property tax in with the tags make it less visable and easier to swallow the double taxation. I do understand that living in a large state with a small population requires higher taxes, Like California.... ahem.

I'm fine with them keeping all the same conditions, financial calculations, etc., but I do agree that it sure would be nice to claim it in advance (i.e. at time of purchase)...

Well, now, wait a minute. Perhaps the OP is not so far off-base concerning his sales tax proposal.

Since the goal of President Obama is to make the federal government all powerful, taking taxing authority away from the states would fit right in with the grand plan, right?

OK, I've donned my Nomex suit - let the flames begin. :twisted:

My very smart kid told me today the WH site is now just a classic internet joke, a pointless, useless exercise. Obama will ignore it no matter how many signatures appear on the items. It has no teeth and in fact the TX secession should give us a good clue as to what has become of it.

These are ivory towers. Impenetrable. We have no say, no power, our voices are not heard. Give it up. We're camping out in the dirt at the castle's stone walls.

ILETRIC said:
These are ivory towers. Impenetrable. We have no say, no power, our voices are not heard. Give it up. We're camping out in the dirt at the castle's stone walls.
Pretty much on target - even more so after the election.

"This is my last election," Obama told Medvedev. "After my election I have more flexibility." (To do what I darn well please to do.)

Hopefully that flexibility will put EVs on fast track.

That includes twisting the arms of all those corporations we slave for to accomodate plugging in at workplaces.

I speak from experience.

Back