Showed our EVs to the cub scouts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Just a little story I wanted to convey.

A co-worker of mine is a local cub scout leader and asked me to bring my EV to a meeting and talk to the kids (aged 9 to 11) about EVs. This took place a few days ago on Tuesday evening. We brought our Leaf and our Volt. There were at least 30 kids there, plus several adults. I prepared a powerpoint presentation designed to last about 25 minutes. I had originally planned to have them look at the cars afterwords so they would have a better idea of the differences between the cars. But the parking lot lights were not working and it was starting to get dark, so I told the kids we'd go look at the cars first. I told them we were going to turn the cars on so that they could see the instrumentation, but not to put the cars in gear. Before we left the building one of the kids asked if they could honk the horn, I grudgingly agreed that they could.

We had the cars spaced apart with all of the doors open, the charge ports open, and powered on. The kids filed into the cars and immediately somebody started honking the horn one one car, then the next. The horn honking went on for quite some time and the kids were just having a blast with that. I was talking to one of the scout leaders and I said, "I can't believe I brought two of the most advanced vehicles on the planet out for them to look at, but they are more interested in the horn."

Anyway, after we went inside, I begin to go through my slides. I brought some props with me including some EV battery modules, including some 18650 cells similar to what Tesla uses. I passed those around and the Voltec level 1 EVSE. I tried to engage the kids by asking them questions and letting them guess. For example, I held up one of the 18650 cells and asked them to guess how many were inside an EV. Most of the kids guessed 150 or less. Then one kid guessed 9,999. He was laughing so I think he was joking, but in the end he ended up being the closest guess since Teslas have nearly 7,000 such cells.

I also had a section of my powerpoint slides called "myth / no myth" and I would go over some of the common myths (and some truths) and see if the kids could guess which ones were myths. To my surprise, they got nearly every one right. Many adults I've talked to have done far worse.

Later one one of the scout leaders said he had seriously considered a Volt after seeing one at an auto show, but just couldn't afford one right now.

Now I'm hearing from some of the parents that their kids are saying they want an EV when they are old enough to drive. The parents were somewhat concerned because they didn't think they could afford one. But I told them at least by the time these kids are old enough to drive, there should be plenty of used EVs on the market for much less money.

Another interesting thing is that I didn't really notice the kids having any particular preference over the Volt or Leaf. They seemed to think both were just as cool.

Great story. Good for you for taking the time and expending the energy to do this. As early adopters, this kind of outreach is one of the most constructive things we can do.

smkettner said:
I thought the lease was down close to $200 per month.... and if you save $150 in gasoline, what is not to afford?
You have to have top tier credit to qualify for that. Fortunately I do, but lots of people do not. including two of my friends who would very much like to own a Leaf and make enough money to afford one, but do not have good enough credit. Also the insurance will be much higher, especially for a teenager, especially for full coverage. It is my opinion that teenagers really need their first car to be a used car in the ballpark of $3,000 to $5,000 and carry liability only. Although I never had a wreck, almost all of my friends in high school had wrecks and totalled their cars between the ages of 16 and 18. Today things are much worse because we didn't have cell phones back then. Teens get "too comfortable" after driving for a few months and it usually takes a wreck as a wake-up call.

You are talking to 9 to 11 yo about electric cars. You should be talking to them about how to avoid being raped by some of these "leaders"".

my son in scouts.any chance i could get the slide show ,info you were going to present to the cubs?i'm not as informed.but, would like to do a class for them=best regards

Back