SF Bay Area: Green Drive Expo 9/15/12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDrive said:
Going. I want to drool over the rav 4 EV again this year.
We'll do you one better.... how about test driving it this year?

Green Drive Expo will be the first place the public will have a chance to do that.

Also test drive the new Avalon Hybrid, and the rest of the Prius hybrids.

Chevy Volt will have test drives as well as CODA test drives.

And Chelsea Sexton of "Who Killed the Electric Car" will be on hand for an afternoon session on the speaker's stage.

I've talked to Nissan and not gotten confirmation. Local dealer will likely be there doing test drives, etc.
I'd be happy to reach out to Aeorvironment if you have a contact.

Anyone else?
JeffN said:
cwerdna said:
So, can we get a roll call going? Copy, paste and add your name...
I'm likely to be there but can't be certain yet. I need to leave by mid-afternoon so I'm thinking of getting there around 1pm or so.

Are people planning to meet up at any particular time and place? Maybe 2pm?
EVPowers
cwerdna (Maybe. If yes, will arrive for tail end of show.)
surfingslovak
JeremyW
JeffN

I found out I have a time conflict w/something else I really want to go to. At best, I'll be very late. At worst, I won't make it.

Looks like I'll probably be taking BART. It looks like a couple of miles from Richmond BART to the Expo. Any suggestions on bridging the gap other than a cab or bike?

Hey all,

For those attending, copy, paste, then add your name in a new post. I'm not the keeper of the list. ;)

EVPowers
(Removed surfingslovak as he'll be in AZ for Tony's range test.)
JeremyW
JeffN
DoxyLover
GRA

JeremyW said:
Don't forget for those that are "VIP" there is a dinner at the Boilerhouse Restaurant after the festivities. :D
Heh. Don't mean to be a party pooper, but last year, I just followed the Priuschatters I was with to dinner at the restaurant. Priuschat founder, some of its moderators, pEEf (aka Ingineer here), a few Priuschatters and myself all sat down at a long table. There were some other notable folks who I didn't know at the next table.

I wasn't a VIP.

cwerdna said:
Hey all,

For those attending, copy, paste, then add your name in a new post. I'm not the keeper of the list. ;)

EVPowers
(Removed surfingslovak as he'll be in AZ for Tony's range test.)
JeremyW
JeffN
DoxyLover
GRA
Unfortunately I had to change my plans at the last minute, so couldn't make it. Guess I'll just have to test drive the Volt, RAV4 etc. at dealers.

We got there mid morning and there was essentially no line to drive the RAV 4EV, but it was a low speed run around the industrial park. Nice vehicle, roomy, etc. I'm wondering/worrying about (yet) another (E) vehicle which is designed around the concept of drive during the day and charge all night. At it's 40A charge rate, it takes 6-7 hours to recharge? It's 2WD "only".

Bravo for raising the working man's idea of what the max charge rate should be... Maybe Chargepoint and the rest of the public EVSEs will get the hint. I sure hope I'm not waiting behind one of these at a public L2 charging station. [No offense, I don't wait behind LEAFs, Volts, PiPs either.]

The ratio of charge time to drive time is important to us...

There were some folks (from?) Tesla who drove a sedan into the parking lot and walked in with their Tesla jackets as we were exiting. I guess they sell all they make, so they don't need to exhibit. There was a Focus EV parked on the road. It seems like all the LEAFs on display and charging had 220V EVSE upgrades (vendor not noted).

There was a BMW E, locked up with brochures for the car sharing service.

Spoke briefly to the lady from "Who Killed the Electric Car", she agreed it is (partly) PG&E with help from the CPUC. Their residential rates (even with EV rates) are excessive, compare to SMUD.

Plenty of people test driving Codas, and I guess also LEAFs and Volts.

Just got back. Very nice venue with a lot of interesting exhibitors.

Test drove a Volt and a RAV-4 EV. The volt was very nice, though I felt like I was sitting in a hole driving it. The RAV-4 felt a bit unsteady, like there was a lot of shimmy.

Ingineer (Phil) was there exhibiting his leaf with his prototype 6.6KW charger upgrade and his prototype Leafscan. I asked him about the Leafscan and he said that he hoped to have it available by the end of the year.

In the owner area, a couple was showing off their 2-week-old Tesla S. Looks very nice.

By the way, in the end, I drove my wife's ICE to get there. Next year, hopefully, there will be a few more DCQC's around so I can make it in my leaf without staying all day to charge.

I was there with my car "showcased" but to be honest, I didn't prepare any pamphlets or poster for my leaf since it's stock; I just needed the guaranteed charge to get home. I put my driving directions on the windshield wiper, which also had the trip distance highlighted.

What I loved about this expo was that it showcased more then just electrics. There were lots of Honda Insights (one with a turbo :shock: ), a VW bug conversion, solar powered ev from UC Berkley (that reportedly gets 30 mi/kWh), numerous diesels, and a Honda Civic GX.

The Rav4 is awesome. I test drove it twice. Honestly, I wish I could have done three times, even with that dinky track. It is a blast to drive, but it does seem to have the typical handling of an SUV of it's size with a bit less roll. I'd leave it in B mode all the time, I love strong regen. :D

I also test drove the Prius C. Hate the engine noise, the thing complains if you don't drive like a grandma. I wish Toyota made this model plug in too. Felt cheap, but I'm happy it exists. We need cheap hybrids. I just wouldn't get one. ;)

A brand new Nissan Leaf SV was shown off by a local dealer. At some point the two people from the dealership were near my car. I pointed to the CHAdeMO port and said, "This is why I got the leaf. This is what got me into electric cars." I hope I made my point clear about it's importance. :)

I met the owner of scangauge. I convinced him to look into doing something for the leaf beyond just plucking the gid count out of the CAN bus stream. Seems like nobody filled him in that significant progress has been made to decode the buses.

It was nice to finally meet Phil, his way to upgrade the charger is neat. He just adds a second ~3 kW charger up front. Turns out that big valve cover looking thing is just a big piece of aluminum. Removing it gives enough room for the new charger, which is "Swiss made" and sounds like it costs a pretty penny. Plans on making a kit, but no ETA. It did make me wonder if Nissan could in theory offer an upgrade this way. :roll:

The dinner was good, and I got to sit across from none other then Chelsea Sexton. Soon after her sitting down, Mr. Surfingslovac came in straight from Phoenix. We had a great dinner talking about the latest "developments" among other things.

Overall great time. I got to meet a lot of really interesting people. My only regret is I totally forgot to bring my business cards.

saintyohann said:
TonyWilliams said:
Nice write up. I've been calling around for the allegedly released today Rav4 EV, and nobody know nuttin'.

Everything I heard was the week of the 24th.

Do you have a list of dealers? The San Diego ones I called were clueless. Or any dealer in California, I guess, that is up to speed on the this car.

Here's some pictures off my iPhone. :)

RCbSwl.jpg

kmKiXl.jpg

a5XvIl.jpg

5a4S5l.jpg

AofKal.jpg

PDElOl.jpg

gst5zl.jpg

NL81el.jpg

MB30rl.jpg

4e5Sql.jpg

gZgSxl.jpg

Above in full size here

WUIiql.jpg

6SPaxl.jpg

6XybZl.jpg

ansq0l.jpg

fAFLzl.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
saintyohann said:
TonyWilliams said:
Nice write up. I've been calling around for the allegedly released today Rav4 EV, and nobody know nuttin'.

Everything I heard was the week of the 24th.

Do you have a list of dealers? The San Diego ones I called were clueless. Or any dealer in California, I guess, that is up to speed on the this car.
Dianne Whitmire at http://priuschat.com/threads/diannes-southern-ca-rav4-ev-ordering.114410/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should know. Unfortunately, she's a bit far those in San Diego.

Back