Which of these used leafs should I buy? [resolved]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ishiyakazuo said:
dhanson865 said:
But the Leaf spy can be worth a 2 bar swing. You could have two possible leafs both side by side with 10 bars showing. Leaf A could be on the edge of dropping to 9 bars and Leaf B could have just dropped from 11 bars. The end result leaf B could have as much as 12% more capacity with the same bars showing.
Fairly sure your math is a little faulty there... if both have 10 bars (and, assuming they weren't reset), then both are in the 10 bar range (approx. a 6% range). Having just dropped from 11 just means it's at the high end of 10, and the edge of dropping to 9 means it's at the low end of 10, but it's still all one range...

yeah, I mispoke, Make that ~7% swing in battery capacity possible if they both have 10 bars showing. The bigger swing scenario is:

If Car A has 9 bars and may have just fell from 10, and Car B has 11 bars and may be about to fall to 10 it looks like a 12.5% difference but may be as little as ~6% or as big as ~19%. Not having the leafspy can having you guessing about a pretty big range when comparing two cars with gauge accuracy of 6.25% bands.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I ended up going for the $9500 for 2012 SL in blue with 31k miles and 11 bars. It's just under 3 years old, and for a good price. If anyone is interested or looking for a similar leaf in SF bay area, I can PM the broker's info.

dhanson865 said:
ishiyakazuo said:
dhanson865 said:
But the Leaf spy can be worth a 2 bar swing. You could have two possible leafs both side by side with 10 bars showing. Leaf A could be on the edge of dropping to 9 bars and Leaf B could have just dropped from 11 bars. The end result leaf B could have as much as 12% more capacity with the same bars showing.
Fairly sure your math is a little faulty there... if both have 10 bars (and, assuming they weren't reset), then both are in the 10 bar range (approx. a 6% range). Having just dropped from 11 just means it's at the high end of 10, and the edge of dropping to 9 means it's at the low end of 10, but it's still all one range...

yeah, I mispoke, Make that ~7% swing in battery capacity possible if they both have 10 bars showing. The bigger swing scenario is:

If Car A has 9 bars and may have just fell from 10, and Car B has 11 bars and may be about to fall to 10 it looks like a 12.5% difference but may be as little as ~6% or as big as ~19%. Not having the leafspy can having you guessing about a pretty big range when comparing two cars with gauge accuracy of 6.25% bands.
Yup, that's indeed where you get a huge swing. Also, having 12 bars has a similarly large swing (although if it's a 2012, you can be pretty sure it doesn't have 100% capacity...) but certainly the difference between 11 or 12 bars can be very large.

gor29 said:
Thanks everyone for the input.

I ended up going for the $9500 for 2012 SL in blue with 31k miles and 11 bars. It's just under 3 years old, and for a good price. If anyone is interested or looking for a similar leaf in SF bay area, I can PM the broker's info.
That sounds like a fair deal to me. If it's what you want, and the capacity works for you, that's really what matters. People will always tell you "well, I wouldn't have bought that if it was me," but everyone's situation is different. (By the way, I would've really liked to get mine in blue, but there weren't any in decent condition in blue available used near me. I never let color dictate my car purchase, but I always prefer blue.)

Back