"Service Months" Question for a "Demo"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sub3marathonman

I admit this is a basic question, but I searched and didn't find a definitive answer.

Are "service months" for a demo counted from the date of manufacture, the date the dealership got it, or the date I got it?

I’m gonna assume that you are talking about the maintenance schedules. If so, then service months only refers to months of actual driving. A strong case can be made that usage while it was a demo does not count for your service months. But this really would be a case of reason trumping the “letter of the law”.

If you think something needs service, then ask the dealer to look at it and service it. If you think a particular service is not needed, then ask the dealer to look at it and justify why it needs service, then service it.

If this doesn’t answer your question, please provide some more details and I’ll see if I know the answer.

The only service that will affect warranty is the annual battery check.
I would assume one year from when you bought it would be fine unless you are specifically told otherwise.

FairwoodRed said:
I’m gonna assume that you are talking about the maintenance schedules. If so, then service months only refers to months of actual driving. A strong case can be made that usage while it was a demo does not count for your service months. But this really would be a case of reason trumping the “letter of the law”.

Yes, and I too am not counting on reason when dealing with the alleged battery warranty.

One other question I started wondering about is if Nissan requires you to get a yearly battery check from a Nissan dealer and paying them whatever charges are associated with this test, wouldn't that violate the Magnuson-Moss act? Or maybe this has been discussed somewhere before?

It has been discussed, but I’ll answer you here for easy reference. You must get your yearly (my owner’s manual is clear that mileage doesn’t matter) battery check done by Nissan to maintain your battery DEFECT warranty (remember that you had to sign a document acknowledging NO CAPACITY warranty). Since Nissan is doing the first 3(?) at no charge, I don’t think there will be any Magnuson-Moss questions until then. Besides, I haven’t heard of a single independent shop that thought they had the tools (Consult3+) to perform that battery check. None of the other maintenance items need to be done at Nissan, although service department loyalty can make a difference if you have to try getting something out of warranty covered as in warranty.

What I would do in your shoes is to gather your VIN, manufacture date (on your door pillar), and purchase date. Then chat with the EV support team at this link . Ask them when you should get you battery inspection done. Email a copy of the conversation to yourself, or take a screenshot of the chat window, and keep that as Nissan’s official answer. I’d rely on that if it ever had to be taken to court.

Hope this helps.

Back