Seems to be braking when cornering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdcmills

My 2012 with 28k miles applies the brakes while cornering. Never happened until last week. Any possibilities? I did have new tires installed and switched front to rear. Had no problems when I rotated tires over a year ago.

What makes you think that? I seriously doubt that it is actually true...

mrdcmills said:
My 2012 with 28k miles applies the brakes while cornering. Never happened until last week. Any possibilities? I did have new tires installed and switched front to rear. Had no problems when I rotated tires over a year ago.

I have a corner that it does it to me every time I go around it, there is a pavement change spot and when I hit it, the traction control kicks in and brakes quickly. I now switch off the traction control when I go around that corner :)

More likely, it is the VSC. It will brake a corner wheel when it detects it needs to do so to main the desired vehicle path... If you didn't install the same new tires at all four corners it can cause the VSC (and ABS) to miscalculate due to differences in tire circumference... Many systems are smart enough to figure out the difference over time and factor it in, but I don't believe the Leaf system is that smart...

BrockWI said:
I have a corner that it does it to me every time I go around it, there is a pavement change spot and when I hit it, the traction control kicks in and brakes quickly. I now switch off the traction control when I go around that corner :)

mrdcmills said:

It's because of the difference in diameter between the new tires and old tires. Computer compares the rpm of the wheels to determine if the vehicle is slipping or skidding. Make sure the new tires are the same size and profile.

If that's not the problem, check tire pressures to make sure there's no huge difference between the new and old. If that doesn't help, best bet would be to replace the other 2 old tires as well. In the meantime, you can disable the traction control with one of the left-side switches if conditions warrant, to get temporary relief.

Yep, it's the Stability Control. Same thing happens to me. I'm just turning off the VSC for now. It really shouldn't be this sensitive to differences in tire diameter.

garsh said:
Yep, it's the Stability Control. Same thing happens to me. I'm just turning off the VSC for now. It really shouldn't be this sensitive to differences in tire diameter.

Yes, it almost put me into a wall on a dry curve with smooth pavement. The braking was insanely aggressive and with no stability the car would have been fine at 20 MPH more than the current speed. I think here is a serious flaw in the parameters.

Back