Deceleration at freeway speeds

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archsteve

Hi All,

So I was cruising my 2022 Leaf (12k miles) on the freeway at 78 or 79 mph, and suddenly I started losing the ability to accelerate. I got over to the shoulder. Once I came to a complete stop, I was able to start up again no problem. I took it to the dealer, and they could not figure out what is wrong with it. They did duplicate the problem themselves though, on the freeway. The ABS sensors seem to be working fine.

Corporate suggested they put four new tires on it, which they did, and that stopped the problem from occurring. About 6 weeks ago I did put two new tires on the front. So, they are saying I need to make sure all tires are matching. Have you ever heard of this? I don't see this in the owners manual. It just seems like a weak solution, and also expensive!

What would you all do in this situation? My wife says we should trade the car in, and get something else---I'd rather not!

The tires thing sound like a stretch to me. Where any traction control lights flashing? I'm new to a leaf but maybe the computer saw a delta in tire rotation speed and cut power? I'm pulling this out of my back end....

Different size or type tires could cause the traction control and/or stability control systems to activate under certain conditions. Your dealer says it is fixed and you have new tires so you might as well drive it for a while. Consider it cured unless it happens again, but never mix tire sizes and types again. Also, keep all four tires properly inflated (same pressure for all tires).

If it was from mismatched tires (which it probably was), you could have the same result with any other modern car that has traction control and stability control systems. These systems make it more critical to have matched tires.

No, I have to go and buy two more rear tires, although the ones I have are perfectly fine, with only 12,000 miles! But, if it fixed it, I guess that makes sense.

And yes, traction control lights are coming on when I reach 75 mph.

Back