Security+Plus plans for the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dealer didn't even offer it to me when I purchased the car. I don't know if they just didn't get around to it, or it's because it does not apply to the car. I though I saw on the Nissan's website that the Leaf was eligible for the Security+Plus program. I would call though, any arbitration or mediation if you are denied service will go by the contract.

Ok, I did the Gold Preferred Plan, $1614 added to my cost. I just got the service agreement book from Nissan today, page 5, section 8 titled What Is Not covered:
8.1 Any component of an electrically powered vehicle, i.e., any vehicle whose propulsion is provided by an electric motor and / or power source, is not eligible for and is not covered by this agreement.
8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible top material, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing, any and all in-vehicle communication systems, airbag sensors......... rattles ,water leaks, wind noise, immobilizer key, and remote key less entry and the list goes on and on.
So according to line 8.1 this whole thing is for not.
Says you can cancel within 60 days if you have not filed a claim. I think I am going to call
first thing Monday. Also going to call the dealer to find out why they sold me a agreement
that is not good with "any component of a electrically powered vehicle"
What do you guys think, anyone else buy this and recently get the paperwork?
The way I read it, I can get a refund within 60 days, and if I did keep it and try to go to a dealer, I would thing this extended thing would not qualify, but a normal warranty that came with the car would, confused

hobbyguy said:
Ok, I did the Gold Preferred Plan, $1614 added to my cost. I just got the service agreement book from Nissan today, page 5, section 8 titled What Is Not covered:
8.1 Any component of an electrically powered vehicle, i.e., any vehicle whose propulsion is provided by an electric motor and / or power source, is not eligible for and is not covered by this agreement.
8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible top material, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing, any and all in-vehicle communication systems, airbag sensors......... rattles ,water leaks, wind noise, immobilizer key, and remote key less entry and the list goes on and on.
Says you can cancel within 60 days if you have not filed a claim. I think I am going to call
first thing Monday. Also going to call the dealer to find out why they sold me a agreement
Wow, I wonder if it would be a shorter list to just tell you what is covered instead of what isn't! :D

I really don't see much that can be covered, wear and tear items are excluded, so there is nothing left as I read it. I'm a little PO'd. I have used my extended warranty on my other cars and has been handy as gauges, keyless entry etc have had some problems, but that was 5 or 6 years in. This warranty expires at 100,000 miles or January 2016, whichever comes first.
I am going to get the refund.

hobbyguy said:
I really don't see much that can be covered, wear and tear items are excluded, so there is nothing left as I read it. I'm a little PO'd. I have used my extended warranty on my other cars and has been handy as gauges, keyless entry etc have had some problems, but that was 5 or 6 years in. This warranty expires at 100,000 miles or January 2016, whichever comes first.
I am going to get the refund.

It sounds like it'd be a shorter list to show what IS covered!! Not a very good extended plan....maybe oil changes and windshield wiper blades and that's about it!

hobbyguy said:
Looks like they sent you the wrong documentation.

prberg said:
some strange error messages and warnings that were fixed under the warranty. Something with one of the ECU's on the car. I was told I would have had to pay for those if I didn't have the extended warranty.
Usually that would fall under the CA required emissions warranty. Although I don't think that applies to Leaf as it has no emissions.

Yes, Joanna at Fontana was quick to respond. Nissan sent the wrong documentation. I am good for the 5 year 100,000 on the car now. She sent me a PDF with correct contract, and correct one is on the way from Nissan. Battery is on it's own 8 year, 100,000.
All good now. Thanks Fontana Nissan!

Here's the maintainance schedules for the Leaf:

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/nissan/pdf/techpubs/leaf/2011/2011-leaf-service-maintenance-guide.pdf

since I easily fit into the schedule 2 column, I don't think I will be spending a single cent on a maintainance package.

I freakin love this car, and I dont even own one (yet!!).

Does anyone have a clue how much 'flat rate' time is to be billed for the recommended services.

In the San Francisco Bay Area I would expect at least a $250.00 per flat hour rate because the service engineers at the dealers store need special training.

electriclarry said:
Does anyone have a clue how much 'flat rate' time is to be billed for the recommended services.

In the San Francisco Bay Area I would expect at least a $250.00 per flat hour rate because the service engineers at the dealers store need special training.

Would love to know this as well. Picking up our Leaf tomorrow and was thinking about the maintenance plan. Quoted about $875 for 5 years. Finance guy tells me it's $200 for every 6 month "inspection". Actually sounds reasonable if we assume $90 per inspection.

Thoughts?

nissan1 said:
I highly recommend <SNIP>

Bottom line, the Nissan Leaf is new technology...a technology for our future....but an unproven technology. As a consumer, the cost of the service contract is well worth the peace of mind for the next 7 years.
FUD. Worse than that - a FUD-filled sales pitch. It's a FUDding frenzy...so to speak...

Really? We don't make any money in the sales department so we have to hook you with the overpriced insurance policy that we know you'll not have to use?

Way to sell, though. "That's right, mister - we stand behind our car of the future. Sure even though we've been doing this for 17 years it's unproven and things could start breaking at the earliest moment so you better buy this policy, and tie one of those tarps across the back to catch all the parts that fall off, ok? Sign here."

Sorry...not only 'no' but...

AndyH said:
It's a FUDding frenzy..

Andy, you have a way with words :)

I think its a good idea to get an extended warranty for a new model car, but I would do a LOT of research before buying said plan from a dealership.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm

I am sure Nissan will stand behind the owner of these ground breaking cars, then again I tend to be an optimist.

My original question still stands: Is this a dealership, Nissan or 3rd party warranty plan?

Herm said:
My original question still stands: Is this a dealership, Nissan or 3rd party warranty plan?
The warranty is through Nissan so it's "good" at any LEAF certified dealer, however what exactly it covers "above and beyond" the original warranty is not clear and is the reason why I turned it down.

In my experience with electronics, if something is going to break, it will be within the first couple months of daily use (as long as it isn't mechanical). Personally, I think if something is really going to break on the LEAF, it will be well within the manufacturers warranty...

BTW, if 100+ year old motor technology and 50+ year old transistor technology isn't "proven" enough, I don't know what would be! :D

If somehow you get a problematic Leaf I speculate a service warranty can be purchased near the end of the original warranty.
I see no reason to buy the service contract at time of initial purchase of the Leaf.

DarkStar said:
In my experience with electronics, if something is going to break, it will be within the first couple months of daily use (as long as it isn't mechanical). Personally, I think if something is really going to break on the LEAF, it will be well within the manufacturers warranty...

BTW, if 100+ year old motor technology and 50+ year old transistor technology isn't "proven" enough, I don't know what would be! :D
I'd agree except that a car is much harsher environment than your desktop. Vibration and temperature extremes will stress electronics. Hopefully less so in an EV, since there's no huge heat maker, but there IS a lot of new stuff in there. Anyway, I would need both a better understanding of what's covered and a greatly discounted price before I considered buying.

Back