Secret Unlisted Charging Locations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

Just learned of a bank of Level II charging stations at SAP Corp in Edgmont, PA. Apparently, they have 3 or 4 there now and are adding in another 3 units(2 cars per unit). From what I hear they are always in use and these additional EVSE's are in response to strong employee demand. Unfortunately they are for employees only. It's not listed on any of the charger locating map sites(Plug In, Recargo, etc) that I could see. Wonder how many other spots are out there that we don't know about? Not that I feel they should be made available to the general public, but mainly that their existence(and steady use)means that there are more EV's out there than one might think at first glance...

Lou

I don't know.
Maybe a few secret ones.

doneleafshop.jpg

gatedad11 said:
these additional EVSE's are in response to strong employee demand. Unfortunately they are for employees only.

I know of quite a few sites like this. It's not such a big deal here in So. Cal. as we have lots of public stations and more on line every week. My best friend works for a very large entertainment company on the west side of LA and EV adoption has really taken off with the employees, the restricted lot they have has ten L2 stations and another 18 (yes eighteen) are going in this month. Companys building up charging infrastructure like this I believe is key to more people taking the EV "plunge" even though I have no access to them I'm all for it.

KillaWhat said:

I always get a kick of seeing pictures with "Photography Forbidden in this Area" signs in the background. More so than seeing there is a public charging station at Area 51.

Killa:

I love that photo. Funny that this is restricted area yet anyone could pull up and plug in, it seems...

Lou

Gibber:

I know of a few private employee lots around Philly, but nothing like S.Cal. However, it is inevitable that we will see lots more companies setting up EV charging stations, and they will typically be restricted. My employer is planning to install Level II's for employees, so I get it...

Lou

There's a Blink DCQC station at Oak Ridge National Labs in Tennessee for employees only (assume some level 2s also) & I've been told about about some employee only charging stations at the Nation Labs in Washington state.

Several months ago, I came across an unlisted EVSE in a business park near Rincon Point south of Santa Barbara.
It was a Sunday, I was looking for a few kWh to ensure my Model S would easily make it home. My rated miles remaining and actual miles to travel were about the same.
I made a wrong turn while looking for a Plugshare listed charger and happened on this well marked EVSE. But, it turned out this was an "employees only" deal requiring a pin code to access.
What was frustrating was the unit, a "Free JuiceBar" EVSE looked so much like an oasis, with easy access and two ports for two parking spots and the word "Free" on all sides. The whole parking lot was empty.

Not to give up easily, I looked up the manufacturer's website (on the Tesla display) and a few clicks later found a demo video (now had to switch to my phone since no vids play on the Tesla display) shot at this very site with an employee showing how he charges his LEAF. I could sort of make out the keypad combo he used; tried a couple of sequences and joila, free juice!
It was a very satisfying charging adventure.

davewill said:
gatedad11 said:
I love that photo. Funny that this is restricted area yet anyone could pull up and plug in, it seems...
I'm pretty sure it's Photoshop composite, not an actual location...

Yeah this cluster of signs (except for the one advising this is a charging spot) is at the edge of the Area 51 complex in Nevada. Here's the original version http://www.lazygranch.com/images/fg/fgsg1a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the webpage where it came from http://www.lazygranch.com/fg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonDawg said:
davewill said:
gatedad11 said:
I'm pretty sure it's Photoshop composite, not an actual location...

Yeah this cluster of signs (except for the one advising this is a charging spot) is at the edge of the Area 51 complex in Nevada. Here's the original version http://www.lazygranch.com/images/fg/fgsg1a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the webpage where it came from http://www.lazygranch.com/fg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, my son thought the idea of "secret charging" was interesting, and photoshopped it.
Now secret charging IS interesting. :D

Oh, and PS.
In doing it, he discovered the "original" photo was already photoshopped.

but I know what the OP means, and I find uncovering unlisted chargers a cool idea.

Back