Seat Extender Brackets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the brackets this morning. It took me a while to figure out right/left, front and back, but once that got figured out, they installed pretty easily. Some clarification of that in the instructions or on the brackets would be very helpful. Also, a nit, but the car bolts were 16 MM, not the 14 MM as described in the instructions.

It is pretty apparent I have been cramming myself into a poor position when driving, and these will take some experimentation, but they definitely will allow for a more comfortable driving position. (I'm 6' 5"). This was a very good upgrade for my LEAF.

I got one of the prototype sets for our Prius, years ago. I did a nice writeup on Priuschat. Those original types had to be taken back due to stress/crack at a bend point. I'm sure it was a good lesson for subsequent productions for all models. That said, and being 6'-5", I'll be getting a set for the Leaf, too.

Dang, wish I'd have found the OP back when the discount was available. :? :)

hill said:
I got one of the prototype sets for our Prius, years ago. I did a nice writeup on Priuschat. Those original types had to be taken back due to stress/crack at a bend point. I'm sure it was a good lesson for subsequent productions for all models. That said, and being 6'-5", I'll be getting a set for the Leaf, too.

Dang, wish I'd have found the OP back when the discount was available. :? :)

Watch the installation video on the website. There's a new discount available. I seemed to hit the one week (after MNL discount and before the video was posted) when no discount was available.

Cinnabar said:
I installed the brackets this morning. It took me a while to figure out right/left, front and back, but once that got figured out, they installed pretty easily. Some clarification of that in the instructions or on the brackets would be very helpful. Also, a nit, but the car bolts were 16 MM, not the 14 MM as described in the instructions.

It is pretty apparent I have been cramming myself into a poor position when driving, and these will take some experimentation, but they definitely will allow for a more comfortable driving position. (I'm 6' 5"). This was a very good upgrade for my LEAF.

I was just about to write about the same minor issues with the installation (16mm versus 14mm bolts and left/right confusion)...Otherwise a great product. I am also going to have to give myself some time to figure out the best position with the new brackets installed. I am not quite as tall as everyone else here at 6'2" (or so it seems!)...but these definitely give me the extra click or two back I was missing...

I've had mine in for some weeks now.

1) Same (very minor) install issues already mentioned.

2) I left my seat in and just rocked it back and forth as needed. Result: Badly scratched the new brackets! Take you seat out and set it aside... it is just as easy.

I love the brackets. I'm about 6'6" and I am NOT on the last stop. They work very, very, well, when I'm driving. No issues with my wife moving the seat forward to drive, works perfectly... and... when we eat in the car, she sets it all the way back and has tons of room to eat.

I just installed these today on my 2012, very simple and omg what a difference. I am 6.5 and only wanted a few more inches. All the way back I'm confident Shack could drive this car. I find I can have the seat more upright now and even the steering wheel a notch down from max.

This was a pic stock with the seat all the way back, notice my knee is very close to the dash.
scaled.php

After, all the way back. My feet are in front of the pedals and my seat is in the upright position when I took this picture. Way more then I need. The Leaf feels so much easier to drive, so glad I bought the extenders.
scaled.php

What is the exact distance this bracket extends the seat back (I gather it is approximately 5 or 6 inches)?
I assume that this product would be a problem for drivers with very short legs who need the seat scooted all the way forward with the stock seats. Can anyone give an estimate of height when the stock seats begin to not go up far enough? Can anyone give an estimate of height when the modified seats begin to not go up far enough? Finally, can anyone say with some precision how much higher the seat is raised with this product? Thanks!

I noticed the seat all the way forward looked to be about 2 or 3 clicks forward from stock max. An estimate, about 3/4's way back from max. As for adding height to your seat, maybe a 1/2 inch at most. Its unnoticable.

I have these seat extenders. They move the whole seat including the moving mechanism back exactly 6 inches. The seat is raised only by the thickness of the metal of the bracket -- about an eighth of an inch. I'm 6' 7" with long legs and keep the seat all the way back. That position is about right for my arms. My legs would be better off with the seat a couple of inches further back. Even better would be to have both the seat and steering wheel a few inches higher. My 5' 6" wife does not need to put the seat all the way forward. So someone a few inches shorter would be OK. I'm very pleased with the seat extenders.

One complaint I've had with the LEAF is that with knee problems, the seat doesn't go back far enough for easy entry. Particularly a problem for the passenger side. MUCH MUCH harder to get into than my 2009 Altima.
Has anyone installed the extender brackets for this reason?
Were you pleased with the results?
Does it make the entry distance about the same as the properly designed Altima, versus the flawed LEAF design?
Hard to believe Nissan has this flaw on the LEAF.
We bought the Altima because it has markedly better ease of entry than the competing mid-size vehicles from Ford, Chevrolet, and Toyota.

I installed mine this morning. This is really great. I can't understand why this isn't stock on these cars. Can any human actually use the first 6" of the stock seat???

When seat is all the way back, the wires get someone pulled. I hope that's OK.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Please keep asking and posting questions. We will answer as many as possible in order to help the community.

There was a question in regards to the wires pulling when the seat is moved all the way back with the seat extenders.

During our testing and engineering we found that 6" was excessive however we are solving a problem for the tall. We found that the wires were not stretched or pulled with the seat all the way extended.

We hope this helps. Thank you for the support.

I also found the wires were stretched. If I recall correctly I cut a cable tie to give it sufficient slack. Problem solved.

Speaking of cables, how tricky is the extra step to discinnect the heated seat?

Is the discount still going btw?

I honestly don't know how the giants manage it. I need thick socks to claim 5'11 with even vague credibilty :cry: and legroom in the driver's seat is my biggest gripe with the Leaf.

Thanks - I just ordered. If the wiring connection proves problematic I'll ask when they show up. I only need maybe 1" or 1.5" more but it's amazing how much difference that makes in other cars with more travel.

Just ordered. Looking forward to receiving. Should make getting in and out of the LEAF a lot easier with knee problems.
Order now. Use "taxes" as the 10% discount coupon code through April 15th!!

Hi Griffin. Just FYI, I put these into my 04 Prius with NAV and JBL, and had to EXTENSIVELY modify the mounting brackets used to hold the Nav unit and JBL Amp. I probably spent over two hours cutting the mounting brackets on these two units so the EMS brackets wouldn't interfere. I suspect you may have engineered the 04 Prius around a base model vehicle, which lacks these two modules. I'm hoping no such issue arises for the Leaf.

Note I didn't trim the EMS brackets at all, just the Nav and JBL Amp brackets.

Nate

Thank you for the message about the Prius but this a Leaf thread. The Leaf doesn't have a electrical box under the seat like the Prius.

In response to your Prius statement, there is a simple installation process for the package 4 amd 5 in regards to the navigation box. To watch, go to our YouTube channel. I am happy that you completed the installation however I wish you would sent us an email so we could have saved you some significant time.

Back