SDG&E EV study rate increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
EXACTLY. We run business equipment out of the home... :D .

Yeah, that's a non-starter, unless you actually can generate a surplus during the day even with all systems going at once (which would mean you'd probably also fit drees' "if you stay out of tier 3 and 4" scenario).

Works for us as during the week there's no one home, the house stays cool enough during the day that we don't need A/C most of the time (mostly at night in fact, just to cool the upstairs via dual-zone A/C), and the biggest two draws--EV charging and the pool motors--run mostly after midnight.

Hard to know for sure unless you run the numbers. Which is a pain. And thanks to SDG&E, their parts of the equation (the fees) change frequently.

lonndoggie said:
Hard to know for sure unless you run the numbers. Which is a pain. And thanks to SDG&E, their parts of the equation (the fees) change frequently.
It looks like SDG&E will have a way to run your data through different plans at some point in time to find the lowest cost plan. See the "Select Your Pricing Plan" button when you log in to your account.

Otherwise, I have used bidgely.com to estimate, though it's not easy to do as the site is still pretty much beta and in flux.

I called SDG&E to complain about the new EPEV rates when I got my last bill, and left a message when I got voicemail. No one ever called me back, but today I received a somewhat confusing letter from them that appears to roll back the rates to April 2014 levels by including a "Policy Adjustment" credit on my bill each month until Dec. 31, at which time I will go on the EV-TOU rate automatically, if I do nothing, or I can choose another rate anytime before then.

The confusing part starts with this: "Recently, there was a change to your EPEV-Z rate that may have caused you some concern. You received a letter last October about extending your 'pricing plan' through the end of 2014 which could have been interpreted as keeping your rates 'fixed.' We apologize for any confusion this may have caused." Apparently, "rates" are distinct from "pricing plan" somehow? My "pricing plan" is EPEV-Z but they can change the rates and it isn't a new "pricing plan?" It sure seems to me that the price and the rates are interrelated, and if you change the rates you have a different pricing plan, but what do I know?

And then it says they are "required to apply any future changes to your rate between now and the end of the year, however, this credit will offset these changes." So my rates are going to stay the same, but they're going to give me back the amount representing the difference between the April rates and the new rate as a credit until December? If so, I'm fine with that.

I don't quite get it, but that's what it seems to say to me. I guess I'll find out on my July bill just exactly what is happening. Anybody else get this letter?

TT

I got the same letter. As I understand it their commitment to keep our rates is now being honored, in a backwards way, with a credit. Looks like the radio interview worked. They also followed up with the reporter I talked to. So, a win for us all. Just happy that we get the rates through the end of the year like they told us in October of last year.
Dave

just got my letter: looks like they will honor the rate through the end of the year. good news. still lost a lot of respect for the company in this process

I talked to them Monday Jul 7. They said the the "super" x rate has increased from $0.14 to $0.18 - but because of a large outcry they are reimbursing the $.04 difference until the end of the year (shown separately on your bill). At year end your separate EV meter will automatically be changed to TOU unless you opt otherwise. But your house meter will remain as is - I am on the tired system. Interestingly current TOU rates between 12AM-5AM are $0.16. So if they were not be reimbursing us the $.04 difference we would currently be paying more on the "special" EV rate that TOU!!!

Moreover, if the TOU does not significantly increase at the end of the year it will remain lower that the planned $.18 EV "super" rate.

When you call the "hold" message tells you how SDG&E is reducing carbon commission by adding EV's to their fleet. I told them that the ad should be removed as they are also adding gas turbine generating facilities.

Back