San Diego to San Luis Obispo: Red LEAF Road Trip 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, I didn't think of leaving any nastygrams. There are no signs on the Blinks, so it didn't seem fair. Plus, the entire plarking lot was full. Not sure if that is normal for a Saturday afternoon/evening, but I was sure surprised....

Anyways, it was a different trip, a special trip with Brandon, and a ton of fun....More photos to come...

Thanks for your trip reports. Sounds like you guys had some fun.
Randy said:
Nah, I didn't think of leaving any nastygrams. There are no signs on the Blinks, so it didn't seem fair.
Yes, it came up at the San Diego Leaf meeting today that the Oceanside charging location is essentially useless. Everyone who had been there reported that all charging spaces were occupied by gas cars. It's a shame that the location tied for first as the largest in San Diego county cannot be used, and meanwhile NCTD is collecting statistics on charger usage and concluding that there is no demand for EV charging because the units are never used. Ecotality is trying to get them to put up some signs, but for now it's prudent to stay away from Oceanside.

Our road-and-sea trip was much less adventurous than other road trips reported here, so I won't give it a thread of its own but will add it on here as it may be of interest to some. Main observations:

• Tony's range chart is very useful
  • Driving 55 saves a lot amount of energy
  • Weseloh Nissan is great!
  • Carwings seems useful now
  • Complacency consumes a lot of energy
  • Road trips will usually require QC to be practical

We went from near Carmel Valley, CA to Avalon, a round trip distance of 176 miles - 102 miles of which were traveled in the Leaf while 74 miles were traveled on the ferry from Dana Point. I planned the trip using Tony's range chart augmented by SurfingSlovak's tables correlating hours of charge time at 120V to a substitute state of charge meter that is much more accurate than dashboard bars. I planned to drive to Dana Point on I-5 and park at the harbor where there is no charging available. On return I planned to charge at nearby Weseloh Nissan for 1.5 hours and then return as much as possible on Hwy 1 at an average speed of 40mph.

We left April 9 morning with temperature about 55 under cloudy skies. I needed just a little bit of climate control occasionally to keep the windows clear. At various check points I projected what value of miles per kWh I needed to hit on that leg of the journey, and how much battery I should have left measured in bars, hours to full at 120V, and DTE. If any of those readings were unfavorable then I would have to slow down to conserve energy. My son was navigator and checked all the readings for me, so we knew we were on or ahead of our energy plan.

@Carmel Valley
Odometer 0/0 (planned/actual)
MPH 55/55
Miles/Kwh 4.3/3.7
Bars 12/12
Hrs 120V 0/0
DTE 99/91

@Manchester Rd
Odometer 8.1/8.3
MPH 55/55
Miles/Kwh 4.3/4.8
Bars 11/11
Hrs 120V 3/2.5
DTE 81/91

@Palomar Airport Rd
Odometer 16.6/16.3
MPH 55/55
Miles/Kwh 4.3/5.3
Bars 9/10
Hrs 5.5/4
DTE 72/88

@Hwy 76
Odometer 23.4/23.2
MPH 55/55
Miles/Kwh 4.3/4.8
Bars 8/9
Hrs 8/6
DTE 65/78

@San Onofre beach
Odometer 41.8/39.6
MPH 55/55
Miles/Kwh 4.3/4.8
Bars 5/7
Hrs 14/10
DTE 47/60

@Dana Point
Odometer 50.7/50.6
MPH 40/--
Miles/Kwh 5.9/--
Bars 4/5
Hrs 16/13
DTE 38/47

I put it in D so speed fluctuations wouldn't engage so much regen as with ECO, set cruise control to 55, and drove in the right lane of the mostly flat I-5, with fairly light traffic. Surprisingly driving 55 to save energy wasn't really worse than driving 65 - which you might do to be certain not to get a speeding ticket. Sure cars and even big trucks streamed around me, but if I drive 65 nearly all other cars also stream around me. And at 65 they sometimes can't estimate my speed, or think they can intimidate me into going faster if only they tailgate closely enough. But at 55 I actually got far fewer tailgaters as they moved to the left well before they reached me. A steady 55 gave me great mileage, and miles per kWh read from the center screen for each segment was generally better than expected from the range chart. Which is the right direction of error for a range chart.

Adding up those figures for each segment I get a total of 10.1 kWh used for 50.7 miles and 5.0 miles per kWh. Carwings reported 10.2 kWh (+1.5%) for 49.3 miles (-2.8%), and 4.9 miles per kWh (-2.9%). I used another 0.2 kWh moving the car from the harbor office to designated long term parking, 0.1 kWh driving back from parking to the harbor office, and 1.2 kWh driving from there to Weseloh Nissan.

There is no EV charging at Dana Point Harbor, so I had to charge before our return. The harbor would do best to have a few J1772's for people out for just an afternoon, plus more plain 120V outlets for people who like me were away for several days.

Louie and all the people at Weseloh Nissan were great, letting me know ahead of time that I was welcome to charge there, and making sure that I had a space to do so. PS, if you're looking for one, Weseloh has two 2011 demos that they're selling at a good discount from MSRP, which you could drive off the lot today. (And they did NOT ask me to write that in exchange for charging.) Weseloh is located across the street from the Marriot Residence Inn that will host one of the first EVOasis DC Quick Chargers, supposedly opening any day now. But not in time for this trip.

I had done so well on the trip out that I figured I didn't really need the full 1.5 hours charging to make it home. However by the time we had finished a late lunch and done some shopping, two hours had elapsed. So I was feeling complacent about my charge state. The ferry crossing from Avalon had been trying, with a driving storm soaking us as we waited to board, with cancellation threatened, and rolling waves sending many of our fellow passengers to the rails - and worse - with seasickness . So we were eager to get home and I let complacency get the better of me.

Discarding my table of check points and forgoing the tranquil Pacific Coast Highway, I set off for home on I-5 relying just on the guess-o-meter (DTE) and hours-at-120 meter. Temperature was about 50 with light rain. The car interior was very humid from our wet clothes and needed frequent defrosting to keep the windows clear. I drove at 65 mph until I found a truck going 60 mph I could follow at a respectable distance.

By the time we reached Santa Fe Drive I had burned through all the kWh I had hoarded on the outbound trip, and I knew I had to conserve. The range chart told me the situation wasn't bad enough that I would have to stop again at Scripps Hospital to recharge some more. But I continued on Pacific Coast Highway at 40 mph, back to original plan with originally planned battery capacity remaining. As I climbed the hill inland on Del Mar Heights road I got my first ever LBW with 11 miles on the DTE and 5 miles to go. As I entered my neighborhood with less than a mile to go I got VLBW. Carwings reported the entire return trip as 12.6 kWh used for 50.9 miles at 4.1 mi/kWh.

My wife thinks that while they're great in the city, taking an EV on the road is just too much bother. I think that had the EVOasis QC station opened a week earlier than planned, this trip would have been completely uneventful. We could have driven on any route at 65 or 75 with the flow of traffic and not worried about it. This summer I expect to make a trip to LA by myself, and I *hope* that by then some of the long promised QC stations are finally open. An easy trip will put the Leaf right back into the picture for short road trips like this.

Last week, for our vacation partly inspired by Randy's SLO trip, we drove as far north as the elephant seal rookery just outside San Simeon (near Hearst Castle), for 725 total trip miles over six days.

Itinerary:

Day 1 - Drove from Arrowbear Lake to Pasadena, where we spent a number of hours taking care of business and charging at 240 V. Then on to the Nissan dealer in Thousand Oaks, which was very accommodating while we walked to a nearby shopping center and stopped at Trader Joe's. Very brief stop at the Chargepoints behind Ventura City Hall. Spent the evening tent camping at a beautiful RV site just up the coast from Ventura, at Faria Beach Park. Camped right up against the sea wall, very close to crashing waves! Used the "50 amp" outlet. Would love to return to that campground.

Day 2 - After taking our time leaving Faria Beach, charged at the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens (using their Blink) and also visited the Mission nearby. Took CA-154 over the mountains, through the gorgeous green hills of spring and charged briefly at Solvang City Hall, across from another Mission. Stopped at Santa Maria Nissan, another nice dealer, and took full advantage of their WiFi. Another brief stop at the Target in San Luis Obispo, then on through heavy rain to the Ascot Suites in Morro Bay where we had permission to use a 120 V outlet.

Day 3 - Charged about 1.5 hours at LindaK's house in Morro Bay (enjoyed talking with Linda and appreciated her hospitality), to finish charging to 100% (120 V at the hotel left us a bit short). Drove 72 miles round trip up the coast to the elephant seal rookery, a real hit with our kids and a great place to visit any time of year. Set up camp back in Morro Bay, at Morro Dunes RV Park, where we had permission to use the 50 amp outlet at an adjacent site even though we were only paying for a tent site. Charged for a couple of hours then drove 20+ miles round trip to visit Montana de Oro State Park where the kids and I had a great time climbing on rocks next to the ocean and sort of accidentally getting our shoes soaked.

Day 4 - Started the drive south through another rainstorm, swinging by Morro Rock and Morro Bay State Park on our way down. Added some charge at the Target in San Luis Obispo, then drove straight down to the Quality Inn in Buellton. They nicely accommodated us in charging at 120 V, which we supplemented with the Chargepoints in downtown Solvang while leisurely enjoying the town.

Day 5 - Buellton to Pasadena, much of the drive through heavy rain. Took 101 instead of 154 to Santa Barbara. Long stop in Goleta at the Rabobank L2 while doing some shopping nearby. Our plans to charge at the beach in Ventura were shot by the weather. We ended up making another long stop at Thousand Oaks Nissan, where they treated us to hot cocoa and were generally quite nice. This was the only time we really felt like we were "waiting" for a charge. Enjoyed staying with family in Pasadena.

Day 6 - Pasadena to Arrowbear Lake. Stopped at Red Hill Park in Rancho Cucamonga for some L2 for the mountain climb. One of our kids had a planned activity adjacent to this park, so this worked out perfectly. Arrived home to more than a foot of new snow, contrasted with all of the green hills and spring wildflowers we had just enjoyed by the coast!

I'll try to add pictures when time allows.

Following are a few photos of our trip:

Day 2 - Mission Santa Barbara. Note that Easter was not long ago, hence the "linen" on the cross. He Is Risen.
img0966by.jpg

Day 3 - Morro Bay waterfront area. Walked there from LindaK's house (after a stop at the hotel) while she let us charge.
img0973rl.jpg

Day 3 - Elephant seals just north of San Simeon, the northernmost point to which we traveled.
img0978c.jpg

Day 4 - Side trip from Buellton to Solvang, where we charged in town for a couple of hours ($1.25/hr. on Chargepoint L2s).
img1026g.jpg

Day 5 - Charging at Rabobank in Goleta, near Santa Barbara. (On our return we took the 101 from Buellton to Santa Barbara.) This L2 can do up to 70 amps at 240 V, for capable EVs! While all other spots in the parking lot are marked "customer parking only", the EV spot comes with a very nice sign indicating it's there to help EV drivers travel more freely. :D

Notice that our LEAF was loaded almost to the max, with two adults, two children, camping gear, etc.
leafingoleta.jpg

Congratulations on your trip.
I have edited your report to concentrate on major charging.
(725 miles/5 miles/kWh = 145 kWhs)/3.3/hr = 44 hrs total.

While your memory is still fresh, I am interested in your estimate of how much time would have been saved, including skipping activities by:
a) - 2X 6.6 kW charger (2013 LEAF), or
b) - 3X 10 kW charger (custom, using CHAdemo and 50 amp 240V outlets).

Neither a) nor b) would help with L1 charging or Quick 220 (for which you never had an opportunity ?).
b) would save more time at Rabobank and RV park.
Would also appreciate details about charging at the motels. No Quick220 opportunities ? outside 120V outlets ? If the latter, did person taking your reservation confirm the outlets ?

abasile said:
Last week, for our vacation partly inspired by Randy's SLO trip, we drove as far north as the elephant seal rookery just outside San Simeon (near Hearst Castle), for 725 total trip miles over six days.

Itinerary:
Day 1 - Arrowbear Lake to Pasadena, business - charging at 240 V.
Nissan dealer in Thousand Oaks-Trader Joe's. [L2]
Camped Faria Beach Park. Used the "50 amp" outlet. [12A L2]

Day 2 - Charged at the Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens (using their Blink) [L2]
Santa Maria Nissan, [L2]
Target in San Luis Obispo, [L2]
Ascot Suites in Morro Bay - 120 V outlet.

Day 3 - Charged about 1.5 hours at LindaK's house in Morro Bay [L2 ?]
(enjoyed talking with Linda and appreciated her hospitality), to finish charging to 100% (120 V at the hotel left us a bit short).
Morro Dunes RV Park, 50 amp outlet at an adjacent site. Charged for a couple of hours [12A L2]

Day 4 - charge at the Target in San Luis Obispo [L2]
Quality Inn in Buellton. 120 V,
supplemented with Chargepoints in downtown Solvang.

Day 5 - Buellton to Pasadena, Long stop in Goleta at the Rabobank L2 while doing some shopping nearby.
Long stop at Thousand Oaks Nissan. [L2]
This was the only time we really felt like we were "waiting" for a charge.
Enjoyed staying with family in Pasadena. [charge with Quick220 here or nearby public L2 ?]

Day 6 - Pasadena to Arrowbear Lake. Stopped at Red Hill Park in Rancho Cucamonga for some L2 for the mountain climb. One of our kids had a planned activity adjacent to this park,
BTW It is about .6 mi walk from Red Hill Park charger down to Foothill, which has a Souplantation at which I eat regularly. So this is a charging opportunity for me when returning from a trip East and need charge to get home.

As we exceeded the LEAF's single-charge range on most days, what made this trip "work" for us was the activities we planned or found within walking distance of charging. Here's the very rough amount of time spent doing en-route charging, broken down by day:

Day 1 - Pasadena - 5 hours using our modified EVSE (12 A, 240 V) on a 240 V outlet at our rental property, where we had work to do.
Thousand Oaks - 2 hours at dealer

Day 2 - 2 hours at botanic gardens, 2 hours at Santa Maria Nissan, 40 min. at Target in SLO

Day 3 - 1.5 hours at Linda K's house, 2 hours at RV park (where we camped) prior to next outing

Day 4 - 1 hour at Target in SLO, 2 hours in Solvang

Day 5 - 2 hours at Rabobank in Goleta, 4 hours at Thousand Oaks Nissan

Day 6 - 2.5 hours in Rancho Cucamonga

The total en-route (not including overnight) charging time was roughly 25 hours. Doubling or tripling the charging rate certainly would have given us more options, specifically, to do a longer trip (perhaps to Monterey or Santa Cruz). A 10 kW CHAdeMO-based charger with a J-1772 inlet would have been particularly useful at the Rabobank locations which support up to 70 amps. Using RV parks en route would be another option, though potentially pricey and would require calling ahead. If I had a built-in 6.6 kW charger as is likely in the 2013 LEAF, I personally wouldn't be inclined to bother lugging around a heavy, expensive, CHAdeMO-based 10 kW charger.

At the hotels, I confirmed availability of 120 V outlets ahead of time. At the Morro Bay hotel, we used a GFCI outdoor outlet; using the Quick220 would have required a long, unsightly 240 V extension cord from our room on the 2nd floor above the hotel entrance. In Buellton, we removed the screen from a room window and ran the cord through. I tried the Quick220, but could not identify two usable, opposite-phase circuits. If I had had an adaptor for a 240 volt, 20 amp wall A/C outlet, then I could have used it in Buellton, however.

Now check out the top story on http://www.sdge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (at least for the time being). Randy's just a bit more famous now.

Thanks, gbarry....Yes, the company wanted to post a little story about our adventure...

Things have been so busy the last couple of weeks. I have more photos to post in this thread and I also need to gather up the car stats I wrote down at each stop and get those posted...I'll do that soon....

Glad to read about the adventures others are having as well...It is not only possible, but a great way to enjoy some time with family...

Thanks for charging time summary. More time than I would be willing to spend.
abasile said:
If I had a built-in 6.6 kW charger as is likely in the 2013 LEAF, I personally wouldn't be inclined to bother lugging around a heavy, expensive, CHAdeMO-based 10 kW charger.

At the hotels, I confirmed availability of 120 V outlets ahead of time.
>>
If I had had an adaptor for a 240 volt, 20 amp wall A/C outlet, then I could have used it in Buellton, however.
I agree if I had a 6.6kW built-in charger, I would not carry a larger charger, but if the larger separate charger was available at a reasonable price and a manageable weight (both big ifs), I would go with it.

I made up an adaptor specifically for use with motel A/C outlets which I would have been glad to loan you. However mine is a L6-30P, which only works with a 30A 240V socket. The two power pins are in-line horizontal, separated by a round ground, pattern _ G _.
If your motel had a L6-20 receptacle, pattern _ G I, then I need to build one of those.

Thanks for the photo confirming L6-20 as a common motel 240V A/C socket. It makes sense that modern units can operate on 20A and don't need 30A. I will get another pigtail from Gary and build the adapter. It should be easier than the other adapters I have done because there will be less mismatch in wire sizes between what the socket expects and the pigtail.

Just a clarification: Typical 240-volt hotel A/C receptacles are either NEMA 6-15 or 6-20. The "L" in the designation L6-20 or L6-15 indicates the twist-locking configuration. Also, do not plan on using "Quick 220" adapters because most outdoor 120-volt receptacles at newer facilities are GFCI type so they will trip immediately.

I enjoyed the trip reports!

Gerry

SLO looks completely doable (Goleta and Santa Maria have charging stations).. I'm trying to get to San Jose from SLO (see my latest post). Let me know if anyone has done that journey.

THANKS..

Back