San Diego DC Charge Non-Profit Organization (was Oct 1 meet)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ttweed said:
Why isn't there a Blink QC there yet open to the public? They are perfectly located just off the major transportation corridor and definitely receptive to the clean-tech idea. It's a no-brainer, but nothing yet.

Having worked for the federal government for 22 years, let me suggest that there is nothing "no-brainer" about it.

At our meeting on Oct 1, we learned of the many restrictions of "free" government money to install "free" chargers. It cost $32,000 to install the 7 Blink chargers at the Balboa Park Auto Museum, and that's with power readily available nearby at the gymnasium.

Let me suggest that it could have been done for lot less without the "free" government money. None of this addresses the demand fee to SDGE.

There's nothing simple about dealing with government.

I have a question. Why aren't there QCs planned for major transit hubs like the Oceanside Transit Center, Old Town, etc? Park & Ride locations seem like a natural for charging infrastructure. Shouldn't this be part of the master plan for an integrated transportation system?

jcesare said:
Park & Ride locations seem like a natural for charging infrastructure. Shouldn't this be part of the master plan for an integrated transportation system?

Ecotality is trying the P&R locations. I have no idea what issues might be there, or what chargers might be planned.

We will know on 31 Dec 2011 how that went.

I was at Mesa College, in the brand new parking structure, and right in front of me was 480 volts !!!

656ae635.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
I was at Mesa College, in the brand new parking structure, and right in front of me was 480 volts !!!
My... what a big ... inverter ... you have there!

Satcon makes commercial sized PV inverters - looks does Mesa have a large PV system?

They probably have ~480 VDC getting fed into that inverter during daylight hours and 480 VAC coming out of it (though could have 208 or 240 VAC).

Edit: Looks like a fairly new PV system - hard to tell exactly how big it is as this PR bit is totally wrong: http://www.sdmesa.edu/parking/pdf/prop-update7-1-10.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit 2: Looks like Borrego Solar installed it - it's a massive system, 2.8 MW! Could DC quick charge ~50 LEAFs around solar noon with that. :)

http://www.borregosolar.com/solar-projects/all/san-diego-community-college-district/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drees said:
Satcon makes commercial sized PV inverters - looks does Mesa have a large PV system?

They probably have ~480 VDC getting fed into that inverter during daylight hours and 480 VAC coming out of it (though could have 208 or 240 VAC).

Brand new solar and parking structure. The guy in the picture is still working on it, and showed me the blueprints. They are building a second parking structure, which will also have 480v and a 12kV step up transformer!!!

He said that 208v was also available right there. What an awesome spot for some DC fast chargers!

walterbays said:
There's great information in this paper from the EV Project.

Table 6-­2 Cumulative Deployment of DC Fast Charging per Metropolitan Area and South Orange County

Code:
EVSE    	San  	      San             Carlsbad/
              Diego   Clemente        Oceanside         Escondido    Total     
2011        32  	         0  	          0  	             0  	32  
2012        56  	         3  	          2  	             2  	63  
2013        84  	         6  	          4  	             4  	97  
2014      120  	        10  	          6  	             7  	144 
2015      175  	        17  	        10  	           12  	214  
2016      245  	        25  	        14  	           18  	303  
2017      338  	        36  	        21  	           26  	420  
2018      454  	        50  	        29  	           36  	567  
2019      602  	        67  	        39  	           48  	755