Sacramento area window Tinting??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vt586

Two things...

Any recommendations on professional tint shops who's done good work on Leafs (Sac area)?

Also, anyone else interested in getting their Leafs tinted? Maybe work a deal with the shop for 2 or more Leafs...??

Funny timing on this thread. I called genesis tint in Elk Grove last week. I was impressed with their sales lady over the phone. She seemed knowledgeable and friendly.

genesistinting.com/automotive

Now I just need to look up reviews of the shop and llumar formula one tint brand products to be sure that is what I want.

Any comments on this shop or brand of tint?

Unless you're primarily after the appearance of tinted windows, I'd go with a spectrally selective applied film that reflects the solar infrared while being highly transmitting of visible light, since that does a better job of keeping the car cool, compared to a dark tint with a lot of absorption on the glass (where much of it still enters the car). Some flavors of these selective films may add visible tint, too, but they are available with 70% visible transmission and 60% solar heat rejection, which in theory can also be used on the windshield, where darker tints are typically not allowed. Of course, the spectrally selective films are more expensive and harder to find, but it is good technology and worth the extra effort (really it should be built into the windows at the factory). Two example products are V-KOOL and 3M Crystalline, If you are concerned about GPS/cell transmission through the glass, the 3M film is not metal based like V-KOOL, so it will have less attenuation.

Howdy

hgoudey said:
Unless you're primarily after the appearance of tinted windows, I'd go with a spectrally selective applied film that reflects the solar infrared while being highly transmitting of visible light, since that does a better job of keeping the car cool, compared to a dark tint with a lot of absorption on the glass (where much of it still enters the car). Some flavors of these selective films may add visible tint, too, but they are available with 70% visible transmission and 60% solar heat rejection, which in theory can also be used on the windshield, where darker tints are typically not allowed. Of course, the spectrally selective films are more expensive and harder to find, but it is good technology and worth the extra effort (really it should be built into the windows at the factory). Two example products are V-KOOL and 3M Crystalline, If you are concerned about GPS/cell transmission through the glass, the 3M film is not metal based like V-KOOL, so it will have less attenuation.

Howdy

thank you for this. the crystalline sounds very interesting and going to consider CR70 for the front two windows. according to the website only 3 dealers in Sac, so will have to check them out. probably go darker "regular" tint for sake of appearance and a bit of privacy (i'll be leaving my bike, among other things back there on occasion).

Genesis in Elk Grove:

I don't have any technical details, but my son went with the cheapest or at least one of their cheaper films. Very happy with the quality of the work.

We did 30% tint (IIRC) on the rear and back doors, but the solar stuff with very little tint on the front windows of our black LEAF. The difference was incredible; the car remains so much cooler. The shop (on Kettleman Ln. in Lodi) claimed the front window film, even though it is nearly clear, would make a significant difference, but honestly I was unprepared for how much of a difference it made. Very happy with the result.

I had to look on the receipt, it was Ron's, ph. no. 209-333-1181. I was wrong about the tint, though; it was 28% tint in back (dark enough to work well and look good, but light enough to see clearly at night), but 75% UV-block "Solar Guard" on the front door windows. The solar guard is, as I said above, nearly clear.

vt586 said:
thank you for this. the crystalline sounds very interesting and going to consider CR70 for the front two windows. according to the website only 3 dealers in Sac, so will have to check them out. probably go darker "regular" tint for sake of appearance and a bit of privacy (i'll be leaving my bike, among other things back there on occasion).

Did you get a chance to look into the 3M crystalline tint.
Let me know what you find out.
I'm interested in getting it too.

I didnt get far. If memory serves me right, Premium Quality Auto Glass (Rancho Cordova) quoted me $200 with the crystalline on the front two windows and regular tint on the back. I did ask him about multi-car discount but said I'll have to get contact with the boss. I never got around to it but I think I'm ready now with the warmer weather coming. I'll give them and some other places a call...

Wow that would be a great deal if you remembered correctly.
I called one today and was quoted for rear seat and back window
$205 for 3M color stable, and $650 for 3m crystalline.

Back