Running air compressor from the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

I have a 12V compressor that pulls 25 amps and has alligator clips that connect straight to a car battery. I understand the Leaf has a current sensing system on the negative terminal and therefore I want the the negative side of the compressor cable connected to the Leaf's ground, not the negative terminal. But what mode (on, ready to drive, etc.) should the car be in to ensure I don't kill the 12V accessory battery?

Depends on your planned duty cycle for the compressor. If you're just topping off the tires you can probably leave the car off. But for anything more than a few minutes run time, I'd put the car into ready-to-drive mode so that the DC/DC converter is keeping the 12V charged.

Ready to drive engages the DC-DC converter--just what I was looking for, thanks.

So for the guys doing the home-brew Leaf-to-Home setup, they must just leave the smart key in the car with it in ready to drive mode?

The FOB doesn't have to be in the car for the LEAF to continue to function in ready to drive mode. In summer or winter you can take the FOB with you, lock car with button on door, and leave HVAC on.

Neat, but if you didn't or forgot to lock it as you left, would it drive without the FOB in the car?! If not, how does it prevent that from happening? This would be a good method for showing the car (at car shows) -- i.e., with a lit-up dash and no worries about someone jumping in and driving off.

mbender said:
Neat, but if you didn't or forgot to lock it as you left, would it drive without the FOB in the car?! If not, how does it prevent that from happening? This would be a good method for showing the car (at car shows) -- i.e., with a lit-up dash and no worries about someone jumping in and driving off.
As long as it isn't turned off, anyone can drive it anywhere. Does present a theft risk, someone could break a window and drive it off, same as if you left an ICE running.
To run HVAC while away from the car, better to turn on climate control with Car wings via smart phone, but I didn't have smart phone till few weeks ago.
And not all have Carwings.
For car show probably better to use On (Push Start twice with no brake pedal).
Harder on 12V though, although LEAF will sense 12V is low and charge periodically, it lets 12V go too low.

mbender said:
TimLee said:
...same as if you left an ICE running.
Except in that case, the key would be in the car.

Just "On" should be sufficient for shows... maybe putting it in drive-ready mode for a few minutes every hour or so to make sure the 12V doesn't get too low?
We're talking about vehicles that use a FOB. The FOB (aka key) doesn't have to be in the ICE either.

At car show putting it in Ready to Drive for five minutes once an hour may help some. But if you're pulling enough 12V load, say running radio, it may be recharging 12V about that often anyway. May need to be more often, maybe 10 minutes out of every 40.

Back