RSS Feeds !!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New accessories to use while listening to the RSS feed: ( :D ?)

1. A makeup tray that fits on the back side of the screen.

2. A one-cup coffee-brewer (uses those disposable single-use "doses") that fits into one half of the glove box.

3. A handy, accessable place for a modest-sized box of tissues.

4. A reachable trash "can" that does not tip over.

LEAFer said:
If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.
Perhaps it has to do with the few years of flight training I took 20 years ago. They really drilled the "division of attention" and "don't fixate" messages in. The work load in the airplane cockpit is, on average, much higher than the work load in the driver's seat, but pilots usually manage it fine. Since then, I've noticed that some people never develop the skill to divide their attention appropriately to prevent fixation while performing tasks such as driving. Although I never learned it in driver's training, this would be a good thing to include.

LEAFer said:
The reason IMHO it would be more distracting is listening to an email I was expecting being read would cause me to focus too much on the audio, not the driving. If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.
Email would be similar to me - I'd use it more to make mental notes of which email to go and read when in office. So I can easily miss some sentences or even mails. Afterall I currently miss 100% of them !

Listening to your wife or kids on the phone is no different than listening to a random talk show?

For me, the family & friends get a LOT more attention than the news, primarily because I CARE about whatever they are trying to communicate.

garygid said:
Listening to your wife or kids on the phone is no different than listening to a random talk show?
Depends on the news - and on what the family & friends are saying ;-)

Anyway, I was referring to office email. Moreover, if we can talk using blutooth to family & friends in realtime (a much more demanding task) I see no problem with listening to emails that can always be revisited later if need be.

To keep things in perspective - each of us need to find out a safe way to use any of these new toys. There isn't a one size fits all.

LEAFer said:
TimeHorse said:
Now if you could instinctively just tap a button to go back 7 seconds...
That would help. But could also become confusing.

Actually, I find it helps quite a bit because there's no if I miss it anxiety so I can relax and listen while I focus on the road. I don't have Tap2GoBack working yet but when the rewind works on my iPod I'm quite able to focus on the road while still listening and absorbing my podcasts.

But Tap2GoBack would make that extremely more safe because it wouldn't go wrong if the finger is held to short or too long or isn't correctly detected so it sends me back to the very beginning of an hour-long piece! :x

tps said:
LEAFer said:
If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.
Perhaps it has to do with the few years of flight training I took 20 years ago. They really drilled the "division of attention" and "don't fixate" messages in. The work load in the airplane cockpit is, on average, much higher than the work load in the driver's seat, but pilots usually manage it fine. Since then, I've noticed that some people never develop the skill to divide their attention appropriately to prevent fixation while performing tasks such as driving. Although I never learned it in driver's training, this would be a good thing to include.

Flight training is a "bandwidth" problem. It was tough because we were also learning to Aviate-Navigate-Communicate ALL at the same time. And this was just for the Private. Then it started all over again with the Instrument as precision, workload and environmental disorientation is thrown in. THEN once you got that all figured out they put you in a fast twin engine and then do all the above at a much faster pace. Screw up? You might die! I think most people will be able to handle RSS if they want it. They (should?) already know how to drive and (often?) know where they are going. If not then just hit the Off button.

garygid said:
Boy, the LEAF actually READS the "fed" text to you?

So, you could set up your own RSS feed and send a book to your "feed", and then the LEAD would "read" the book to you?

That will be something to see ... or hear!

Gee...I wish I knew what the he** you guys are talking about! I like to listen to Lawrence Welk on the cassette player while I'm driving. :oops:

derkraut said:
Gee...I wish I knew what the he** you guys are talking about! I like to listen to Lawrence Welk on the cassette player while I'm driving. :oops:

H E double hockey sticks there, sonny, since when did they start putting the wireless in the horseless carriage?

This is neat. I can't wait to setup the feeds to tell me the traffic condition( or is that covered by CARWINGS already on the NAV?), weather and stocks quotes.

garygid said:
Is there a way to "RSS Feed" your Email?

Yes ... you can do all sorts of stuff with RSS...including traffic info, books, etc.

I don't have my leaf yet, but if anyone is interested in playing with some of the possibilities on an actual LEAF, let me know.

EdmondLeaf said:
roperld said:
What is the order of pushing buttons on the LEAF display to input an RSS feed?
I set RSS using my owner's portal -carwings - all info feeds

I think that's the only way to do it. You also need to limit to "simple" (non graphic) feeds that work well on text-to-speech. I have a few set for weather, financials, etc.

I personally like this RSS feed best: http://aecn.timehorse.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And really should post more often to this one: http://aecn.timehorse.com/feeds/posts/default/-/LEAF%20Meetup?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back