RSS Feeds !!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gudy

Seriously, this carwings stuff is crazy !
You can configure up to 20 RSS Feeds that your car will (apparently) download and keep up to date !

Heck, I'll add this forum ! :D
Internet Feeds

Internet Feeds Setting allows you to access the Internet information registered here from the inside of the vehicle. Any website that sends RSS information can be registered. You can find the sites sending RSS information by inputting the type of information you are interested in followed by RSS (e.g. News RSS) into a search engine (e.g. Google or Bing). Then the web page’s address must be copied manually or copied and pasted into the Carwings Internet Feeds Setting page. The RSS feeds set on this page will be automatically registered in Favorites. After setting it, choose CARWINGS>Favorites on the Navigation system of your vehicle to display the registered RSS feeds.

So, while driving, putting on makeup, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, and talking (hands free) on the phone, I can be reading RSS feeds on the LEAF's screen? :lol:

I have never used an RSS feed.
What, if anything, am I missing?

Or, is that to kill the 6 hours one needs to wait for a L2 public charge to finish?

What is the resolution and size of the LEAF's screen?

Boy, the LEAF actually READS the "fed" text to you?

So, you could set up your own RSS feed and send a book to your "feed", and then the LEAD would "read" the book to you?

That will be something to see ... or hear!

Not to put a damper on this amazingly geeky technology ... BUT ... sounds more distracting to me than a cell phone conversation. I'd rather have the ability to use the NAV buttons while in motion. I feel with some practice (and doing it at a "safe" pace as traffic allows) that the latter would be less distracting than trying to listen intently to the computer synthesized information I was highly interested in picking up (why else would I have subcribed to a particular RSS feed?).

RSS feeds while driving ? Not for me, thanks.

But thanks to Gudy for posting this interesting tidbit. :p

I'm confused. Why is listening to RSS feeds any more distracting than listening to news on the radio ? The Kindle synthesised voice, for eg., is quite good. It would also be useful to have all the new emails read to us on the way to the office in the morning ...

garygid said:
Distraction from driving usually increases as you concentrate more on "getting" the meaning of each word being said.
Don't know how good Carwings text-to-voice is - but Kindle's is better than almost every audio book I've ever listened to. Let alone radio talk shows.

garygid said:
Distraction from driving usually increases as you concentrate more on "getting" the meaning of each word being said.

That's because if you miss it, it's gone forever. Now if you could instinctively just tap a button to go back 7 seconds...

Oh, and can she to French? German? Italian? Russian? Japanese or Chinese?

Actually, if German, I guess it better be a he. :eek: (Well, I prefer a Deutsche-sprachen she, but I'm not German)

I don't believe listening to a synthesized voice reading would be any more distrating than listening to talk radio. This is the car of the future! If one can drive without range anxiety, he can likely also drive without RSS anxiety! The only problem I'll have is that, with all this great technology at my fingertips, I'll want to spend more time in the car. I may find excuses to make an extra trip each day just to get a bit more of the "LEAF experience".

garygid said:
Too distracting while driving,
but during charging is another matter.
This brings up an interesting question. Can you be charging and remain in the car while listening to radio/stereo/mp3/etc ? Would the car need to be "ON" to do that ? Or are those functions available from the 12V AUX battery. Reason I ask: a Tesla Roadster can't be charged with the key in the ignition ( I think ).

tps said:
I don't believe listening to a synthesized voice reading would be any more distrating than listening to talk radio. This is the car of the future! If one can drive without range anxiety, he can likely also drive without RSS anxiety! The only problem I'll have is that, with all this great technology at my fingertips, I'll want to spend more time in the car. I may find excuses to make an extra trip each day just to get a bit more of the "LEAF experience".
The reason IMHO it would be more distracting is listening to an email I was expecting being read would cause me to focus too much on the audio, not the driving. If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.

TimeHorse said:
garygid said:
That's because if you miss it, it's gone forever. Now if you could instinctively just tap a button to go back 7 seconds...
That would help. But could also become confusing.

Back