RSS Feeds !!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tps said:
LEAFer said:
If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.
Perhaps it has to do with the few years of flight training I took 20 years ago. They really drilled the "division of attention" and "don't fixate" messages in. The work load in the airplane cockpit is, on average, much higher than the work load in the driver's seat, but pilots usually manage it fine. Since then, I've noticed that some people never develop the skill to divide their attention appropriately to prevent fixation while performing tasks such as driving. Although I never learned it in driver's training, this would be a good thing to include.

This is the best advice for driving I've read. Getting fixated on a "problem" when flying or driving is mighty dangerous. Passenger aircraft have been flown into the ground while the captain and FO were arguing over which radio channel to use. Remember the two morons who overflew their destination by some 1 hour while they were dicking with their laptops? I have found that with my advancing age, I tend to become distracted or fixated easily and literally have to force myself away from a thought such as "wonder why anyone would paint a car that color?". This is a danger to all older drivers, btw, that's because we tend to think about things a lot rather than just instinctively do them. My personal behavior while driving is to emphasize situational awareness and keep cabin distractions to a minimum. .. the bare minimum. No talk radio, specifically. I've driven and flown cross country while listening to taped books and really didn't like that experience -- I felt that my attention was so divided that I couldn't really get into the book, especially the passages about heaving bosoms and bursting bodices, etc.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
tps said:
LEAFer said:
If I was merely listening to talk radio it's no big deal if I miss something (even a second or two) and I am easily inclined to ignore the radio if a traffic situation requires more attention.
Perhaps it has to do with the few years of flight training I took 20 years ago.
This is the best advice for driving I've read.

I spend about 90 minutes to 2 hours in my car each day. The same route over and over. I would go mad if I didn't have something to distract and I get mad when that thing I need to distract me becomes hard to operate. I've flown a plane but I think all in all yes there are more gauges to keep track of in the plane and you don't want anything taking your mind off of takeoff, landing or stall, but overall it's pretty relaxing. Just wish every plane had dopler radar, those Chinook winds and Microbursts scare the heck out of me! But as for driving, I gotta have my podcasts and audio books but you know what else I need? Whadesay!!! I mean, my priority is always the road. If that means I miss some of the podcast or book, so be it. But when the incident is over I better damn well be able with a single tap of a button go back 7 seconds to replay the bit I just missed. It's a lifesaving feature that no-one seems to realize, especially not Apple what invented the Podcast! :roll:

TimeHorse said:
I spend about 90 minutes to 2 hours in my car each day. The same route over and over. I would go mad if I didn't have something to distract and I get mad when that thing I need to distract me becomes hard to operate. I've flown a plane but I think all in all yes there are more gauges to keep track of in the plane and you don't want anything taking your mind off of takeoff, landing or stall, but overall it's pretty relaxing. Just wish every plane had dopler radar, those Chinook winds and Microbursts scare the heck out of me! But as for driving, I gotta have my podcasts and audio books but you know what else I need? Whadesay!!! I mean, my priority is always the road. If that means I miss some of the podcast or book, so be it. But when the incident is over I better damn well be able with a single tap of a button go back 7 seconds to replay the bit I just missed. It's a lifesaving feature that no-one seems to realize, especially not Apple what invented the Podcast! :roll:

Please read the book Traffic by Vanderbilt for some insight to what may soon happen to you (I hope it doesn't - I learned about this book on this board).

Nekota said:
TimeHorse said:

Please read the book Traffic by Vanderbilt for some insight to what may soon happen to you (I hope it doesn't - I learned about this book on this board).

Reading a paper book in the car is dangerous. Could you blog it with an RSS feed in chunks of no more than 256 words? :)

Okay, you want to say I should just sit in the car and mindlessly waste my time listing to music. Well, if that's the world I gotta live in, I want a woman to throw a sledgehammer through my screen and start thinking different! All I can say is, ever since LA stopped having the worst traffic in the country and that moved to places like here in D.C., Boston and Atlanta I gotta say if there's one thing I can't stand, it's traffic! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/B001FVJH3E/ref=tmm_aud_title_0

MrFish said:
Anyone interested is posting a page of our favorite RSS feeds that we can copy and paste into the OP?

I'll start it off with a couple of my favorites and you can add yours to it:

Yahoo science http://dir.yahoo.com/rss/dir/getrss.php?science

Scientific American - Alternative Energy Technology http://rss.sciam.com/sciam/alternative-energy-technology

LA Times Dodgers (sorry No Cal) http://feeds.latimes.com/latimes/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers?format=xml

TimeHorse said:
I personally like this RSS feed best: http://aecn.timehorse.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And really should post more often to this one: http://aecn.timehorse.com/feeds/posts/default/-/LEAF%20Meetup?alt=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

Back