Returning Leased Leaf without L1 EVSE?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLEAF

Has anyone here who terminated their lease early (since we haven't reached the natural end of the original leases for even the oldest cars as of yet) turned their car in without the included Level 1 EVSE? If yes, what happened? Did the dealership bill you for it? Did the leasing company (NMAC) bill you for it? Did they just not notice or care?

I'm asking because I'm planning on upgrading to the 2013 when it is available, and I want to keep my EVSE and possibly have it upgraded (especially if the one included with the 2013 is not fully upgradable). I fully understand that I do not own the EVSE, and I am fully prepared to pay for it if that's what is requested. I just want to know how much and what the process looks like.

Thanks.

Well either they notice or they don't, and and if they do they'll hit you up for full retail price from the parts department. Which is insane. Just return it and buy one on the internet at a huge discount (or direct from the conversion website)

If you're really buying a new 2013, I bet you can get the dealer to take the new EVSE that belongs to new car in the place of your upgraded one.

davewill said:
If you're really buying a new 2013, I bet you can get the dealer to take the new EVSE that belongs to new car in the place of your upgraded one.

Exactly...

smkettner said:
So the 2011/2012 brick could become a valuable item?

Oh, I think so. I would have kept both mine, except they don't work on the Rav4, and the difference between 12amp and 16amp on a 42kWh battery is tough to measure! They are both WAY too long.

smkettner said:
So the 2011/2012 brick could become a valuable item?
Enough to make a swap like this desirable, but they already cost more than some fully functional 240v EVSEs, even before they're modified.

I don't have the lease paperwork on me, but it states that they don't care if they get it back (paraphrasing of course) and my early termination letter said the same thing.

xtremeflyer said:
I don't have the lease paperwork on me, but it states that they don't care if they get it back (paraphrasing of course) and my early termination letter said the same thing.

I don't have it in writing, but when I was in the finance office, the finance guy said that Nissan oddly made no mention of the charging cable as an item to be returned with the car. He even joked that I could keep it and sell it on eBay in the end. I'll have to pour over the contact and double check that, but I guess if it's not permanently attached to the car, maybe he's right. The MSRP sticker does list the portable charging cable, so I guess it could be considered equipment to be returned.

I guess we'll hear about it after folks start turning in their Leaves at end of lease.

Back