Remote Stop Charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Is there any way via Carwings or any of the apps to STOP charging whilst plugged in? I know you can START charging remotely from the apps and START climate control the same way, but I can't seem to figure out a way to STOP charging.

Situation is this -- car is set to charge to 100% MON - FRI because I need that much charge for daily commute. On SAT & SUN, it is set to charge to 80%. This morning, I decided to drive the ICE because I was low on charge and snow was forecast. Unless I stop it, car will charge to 100% and then stop. Since it is FRI, I would prefer it stop at 80% or so since I won't need the 100% charge again until MON.

Thoughts?

Sorry, but no, there's no remote stop. You'll have to either go out and unplug it, or set your timer to stop at 80%, then bump to 100% remotely if you think you'll need it.

Seems like a missed opportunity. Although rare, it probably comes up more than you would think. Since I am on a 39 mo. lease, I am less concerned about leaving the car at 100% charge for any extended periods of time, but I would certainly like to preserve it when I can.

NOTE: setting to 80% MON - FRI won't work for me. Not enough time from when I wake up to when I leave to get from 80% to 100% on 120v, so I would be chasing my kWs all week.

jpa2825 said:
Is there any way via Carwings or any of the apps to STOP charging whilst plugged in? I know you can START charging remotely from the apps and START climate control the same way, but I can't seem to figure out a way to STOP charging.
First, I have to point out that you have conceptualized this operation slightly differently from what we think the Japanese engineers who designed it had in their minds. There is a physical charge override button in the car, right? You push that to say, "ignore the timer and start charging now, to 100%." It turns out that the buttons on the website and the app do exactly the same thing, and that is probably what the engineers had in mind.

However, it also turns out that the charge override button in the car is apparently a toggle switch. If you push it a second time (so I am told) you cancel the override. I'm not sure whether that reactivates the timer, or simply stops the charge session. In any event, that feature is missing from the app and website, and I think we all agree it would be useful.

Ray

planet4ever said:
However, it also turns out that the charge override button in the car is apparently a toggle switch. If you push it a second time (so I am told) you cancel the override. I'm not sure whether that reactivates the timer, or simply stops the charge session. In any event, that feature is missing from the app and website, and I think we all agree it would be useful.

Yes, that's exactly the way the override switch works if you've not started charging yet. I've used it to cancel when I've changed my mind before plugging in.

If the button also works that way once you've started charing, I find myself wondering if the app might too, even though it isn't set up that way visually? Don't suppose anyone has tried either?

i'm not 100% clear on how these timers work. Here is what confuses me:
say I get to work @6:00am the car says it needs 4:30 to get to 80% and my timer is from 8:00 till 11:00
which scenario will happen?
a) it will only charge from 8:00 till 11:00 leaving me with 70% charge?
b) the car starts charging at 6:30 b/c it "knows" it will need 4:30 hours to charge?
c) the charging will start at 8:00 but will go past 11:00 in order to charge to 80%

NSXTASY said:
say I get to work @6:00am the car says it needs 4:30 to get to 80% and my timer is from 8:00 till 11:00
b) the car starts charging at 6:30 b/c it "knows" it will need 4:30 hours to charge?
c) the charging will start at 8:00 but will go past 11:00 in order to charge to 80%
AFAIK, the answer is "a) it will only charge from 8:00 till 11:00 leaving me with 70% charge?"

NSXTASY said:

The answer is (a).

Change the timer so that it has no start time, and only an end time of 11:00. This will basically change the answer to (b).

Back