reasons for headlight upgrades hid and led purely cosmetic?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I think that most people replace the headlights because of the terrible high beam on the Leaf, not to save juice.

In most cases I would agree.

The headlights don't consume significant power, so switching to LED or HID is not going to improve range measurably. Here are some very rough calculations to show why I say this.

Assume 20kWh in the battery and 35MPH average speed (including driving time and stopped-at-lights time) for 70 miles, you will be driving roughly 2 hours on a charge. That means that the traction motor is drawing an average of roughly 10kW. By comparison, headlights draw roughly 100W. That's roughly 1% of the total battery load, so having the lights on will reduce your range by roughly 1%.

You can try other assumptions, but unless you are a taxi driver working at night with the headlights always on and nobody wanting a ride, I doubt you will notice the power drain from headlights.

Bob

Bob said:
The headlights don't consume significant power, so switching to LED or HID is not going to improve range measurably. Here are some very rough calculations to show why I say this.

Assume 20kWh in the battery and 35MPH average speed (including driving time and stopped-at-lights time) for 70 miles, you will be driving roughly 2 hours on a charge. That means that the traction motor is drawing an average of roughly 10kW. By comparison, headlights draw roughly 100W. That's roughly 1% of the total battery load, so having the lights on will reduce your range by roughly 1%.

You can try other assumptions, but unless you are a taxi driver working at night with the headlights always on and nobody wanting a ride, I doubt you will notice the power drain from headlights.

Bob
My observation from a couple of long commute trips in the rain using both lights and wipers is likely a higher draw against range, maybe up to 3-4% (SV w/ std halogen headlights). The dashboard is showing a jump from @ .25 kW to @ .5 kW. The general reduced traffic speed from the rain doesn't seem to overcome the extra draw. Can agree, converting to LED headlight bulbs probably won't make much difference unless 2-3 miles of gained range becomes critical. Then, would want to address the other non-LED lights that are lit constantly with the headlights (such as license plates, side markers, etc...). Somehow think the difference in power draw can be recovered by route & driving habits easier than changing bulbs. Would more likely convert the horrible headlights my CRV before the Leaf.

Back